Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

a few questions about sheet metal work

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:24 AM

a few questions about sheet metal work

hello all. I have a few questions.
first I have a 64 olds f85 post. soon I will be getting read to do some sheet metal work after a get the engine fired up again.
anyway I have to replace the rear lower panel of the 1/4 .
pass side
http://s75.photobucket.com/user/wgon...tml?sort=3&o=1
drivers side
http://s75.photobucket.com/user/wgon...tml?sort=3&o=0
on the fist pic does patch panels exist?? from my research I have found none I have found (maybe some bone yard with full 1/4 but hate to have them ruin the whole 1/4 just for a piece of it. so next best option is to form my own panel/s
also is there any hand tools that can help form the panels like shrinker/stretcher. or do I have to buy the bench modle
on the second pic is it possible to hammer and dolly this correctly or should it be replaced with new metal.
lastly I will be for the second time replaceing the floor panels I am going to put buckets in and do not know where to exactly drill for the bolts does anyone or can anyone get me the measurement please and the seats that need to be reodone came out of a 66 coviar and was told they will be a fit. theu look like the same seats as in all A-bodys low back can anyone verifiy this for me ???? thanks
Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:51 AM

For the best information on forming sheet metal, get it straight from the horse's mouth by going to MetalMeet. But the short answer is Yes .. there are several ways to form metal that don't involve buying 100 ton presses and learning to work an english wheel. As for the seats .. if you're replacing the floor ... put the bolts wherever you want. You're already going to be welding that area up .. put the seats in where you want them to be, mark the locations, and weld in new braces and bolts.

Last edited by Professur; October 3rd, 2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 03:48 PM

thanks ill check it out