Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Dash rust.

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:54 AM
Olds Dreamer

Dash rust.

I couldnt find this anywhere else so i figured i would ask.

i pulled the front windshield out of my car yesterday. in the middle of the dash was all rusted out. do they make a patch panel or do i have to make one myself or change whole dash?

thanks.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 08:30 AM

Common problem. From what I have seen, most seem to fabricate up something themselves with either scrap metal or pieces cut from donor cars.
If there is not a repro patch panel available, one should be! But then again, repro stuff doesn't always fit well.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 03:11 AM

Nice shot Rob, but you are missing all the white DOTS...
Old December 3rd, 2010, 02:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by all4442
I couldnt find this anywhere else so i figured i would ask.

i pulled the front windshield out of my car yesterday. in the middle of the dash was all rusted out. do they make a patch panel or do i have to make one myself or change whole dash?

thanks.
What kind of car? There are now patch panels for the lower windshield channel for the 64-67 and 68-72 A-body cars (one of the advantages of having common parts with the Chevelle).
Old December 3rd, 2010, 06:41 PM
Olds Dreamer

its a 70 cutlass S i have a 68 chevelle sitting right next to it the rusted out part of the dash pan is way differant on the chevelle maybe i need a 70-72 chevelle. thanks
Old December 3rd, 2010, 06:55 PM

The windshields for 2 door cars are the same from 1968-72 A-bodys. So I'd think the channel would be the same even though the dash would be different. Look at just the channel, maybe just an inch or two in width. See if that part looks the same to you. John
Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:46 PM

Rust

I had the same problem, which was covered up by an assortment of bondo and seam sealer. I just happen to discover it when I removed the windshield trim and noticed an unusual amount of black goo around the windshield. After picking all that out, one thing led to another and...probably the same feeling you got when you discovered rust on your car.

Fortunately, It wasn't too bad but it was an expensive fix. I ended up getting the top cowl piece from a rust free donor and having it trimmed and grafted into place ( $$$ ). You cannot tell it was ever replaced and it is solid, like new. I think I paid about 60.00 for the repair piece and 40.00 for shipping from Arizona. I think I still have the guys info I bought it from and if you are up on the art of welding it shouldn't cost you much more than what you pay for parts. I would do the repair rather than glob sealant on and hide the repair. Just a matter of time before it leaks again and it's always in the back of your head.

I also have a 1970 442 and I did alot of looking around for the reproduction panels for repair and never felt comfortable about what was offered. Either way it will require some precise welding to blend it into the dash without warping.

I feel your pain and wish you luck !
Old December 4th, 2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Nice shot Rob, but you are missing all the white DOTS...

Old December 4th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Olds Dreamer

yeah the channel the window sits in are the same. but the dashe are not the dash in the chevelle has a step as the olds dont the cheannel itself in my olds aint bad its the dash that is bad. i have the still to fix it it shouldnt be to bad.
Old December 4th, 2010, 05:31 PM

I've got a parts car with a good dash framework. If you would post a picture I may be able to cut out the portion you need, and give you a patch panel to weld in. John
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:52 AM

Rob...SNOW!!!
Old December 7th, 2010, 04:26 AM

I bought the repair piece for my 70 SX Conv. It is actually a Chevelle piece and is very narrow (and only covers the channel plus an inch and then curves 90 degrees down, which needs to be cut off for the Cutlass). The Chevelle Dashpad really acts as the top of the dash while the Cutlass is metal for the whole width - this is why the repro piece is so narrow. Luckily mine just needed the front part/channel where the windshield sits in so we could cut it off the repro piece. I would think you could buy this repro piece since it is a tough angle to bend by hand for the channel, weld it in, then use flat sheetmetal to repair farther back (assuming you cannot find a good piece from a junkyard car)
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Olds Dreamer

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I've got a parts car with a good dash framework. If you would post a picture I may be able to cut out the portion you need, and give you a patch panel to weld in. John
Here is my dash rust, can u help me?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olds10.jpg (61.7 KB, 195 views)
Old December 7th, 2010, 05:01 PM

Heart Breaker

I would get a piece from a solid car and weld it in based on the photo you posted. Like I said in the earlier reply, you can get a section from a car in a dry climate that will take care of your problem. Welding or paying for welding is another matter. Like you, when I discovered the rust in the lower windshield channel, I opted to have it repaired the right way with some original solid metal and I've attached before and after photos to show you where my panel was grafted in and how it looks new now like you could never notice the before rust issues. I still have the guys information I bought this panel from if interested. He's in Arizona and does a fantastic job cutting what you want and shipping it FedEx.
Attached Images
DSCN0592.JPG (141.1 KB, 173 views)
DSCN1298.JPG (142.2 KB, 171 views)
Old December 15th, 2010, 06:31 PM
NOVICE car nut

I noticed I also have the same prob , there is more rust on the dash than there is on the entire car lol.....unfortunately the windshield must have been leaking for a long time cause it goes all the way across almost...which brings up the next question , am I at risk of having the dash fall in my lap? It seems sturdy , but the rust looks bad
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:06 AM
NOVICE car nut

after further review, it seems the dash is not as bad as I originally thought. The holes that the rust made are just on the ends , the middle of dash seems ok...I'll take some pics later and post them.....after cleaning up the metal , couldnt you just bondo the holes and sand smooth? or will the blazing sun crack or seperate the bondo from the dash again?
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
after further review, it seems the dash is not as bad as I originally thought. The holes that the rust made are just on the ends , the middle of dash seems ok...I'll take some pics later and post them.....after cleaning up the metal , couldnt you just bondo the holes and sand smooth? or will the blazing sun crack or seperate the bondo from the dash again?
There are two reasons why bondo is a bad idea. First, this is an area where water puddles. Any minute cracks will lead to leakage and more rust. Second, this is the surface that the windshield seals against. Do it right.
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:56 AM
NOVICE car nut

Also , some guy at a local auto club told me they make a product that you can pour along the inner rear wheel wells where the two layers of sheet metal come together. Supposedly this black sticky gunk never completely hardens and it seeps between the two layers of metal nuetralizing any hiden rust and coating it. any excess that leaks out the other side , you just wipe clean... Is there a such product? and if so how good is it? It sounds like you would have to apply after painting is done to keep oil from product from mixing with undercoats and paint.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:27 AM
NOVICE car nut

My Dash Rust

I take back what I said earlier , the rust is pretty bad and so is this camara im trying to use....I will add some more pics as soon as I can get a decent picture without it being blurry..... gotta love my multi colored primer job , because of the lack of money and time it took me two years just to get all the way around the car once, planning on spraying the car with another coat of primer (all at once this time lol) to make the car look better untill I can get a place that I can restore it at.
Attached Images
phpBDbZGjAM.jpg (45.1 KB, 71 views)
phpJeVpkNAM.jpg (37.2 KB, 93 views)
phpK2Zt2EAM.jpg (40.3 KB, 106 views)
Old January 3rd, 2011, 05:36 PM

This is your lucky day. I would have gone this route, but I made my own 3 yrs ago before I knew these were available.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/2129991220.html

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...3571&3671=1002
Old January 3rd, 2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by toro455
I would get a piece from a solid car and weld it in based on the photo you posted. Like I said in the earlier reply, you can get a section from a car in a dry climate that will take care of your problem. Welding or paying for welding is another matter. Like you, when I discovered the rust in the lower windshield channel, I opted to have it repaired the right way with some original solid metal and I've attached before and after photos to show you where my panel was grafted in and how it looks new now like you could never notice the before rust issues. I still have the guys information I bought this panel from if interested. He's in Arizona and does a fantastic job cutting what you want and shipping it FedEx.
i would like the guys info. may need the channel. thanks
Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:25 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by hamm36
This is your lucky day. I would have gone this route, but I made my own 3 yrs ago before I knew these were available.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/2129991220.html

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...3571&3671=1002
hard to tell , but I think I'm gonna need the vented plate that sits behind the windshield channel also
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:32 AM

Thanks for the link again but looks like this piece might be more trouble than its worth and that why hes selling it. Might be better off with the guys name that will cut from donor
Old January 4th, 2011, 05:18 PM

if you need that piece i have clean cowl section i can cut for the pieces you need
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:00 PM

how much of the cowl do you have. let me know what you are asking for the cut out you were thinking of. do you have a pic of the piece you have?
Old January 6th, 2011, 02:08 PM

i have pics of the cowl do you have a email address i dont know how to post a pic on this site chris
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:03 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by 1001coins
i have pics of the cowl do you have a email address i dont know how to post a pic on this site chris
I had to shrink my photos online , and then go advanced and manage attachments and then they pop up.
Old January 7th, 2011, 02:43 PM

send pics please jkr1282@optonline.net i can send pics of my dash .
Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:57 PM

What a great thread.. I cut out my windshield cowl today and luckily had cut out a whole cowl and dashboard out of 67 cutlass A/C car.. Wow that was some work to get it out without messing up alot of stuff...
Old January 24th, 2011, 04:41 AM

got any tips. 1001 just dropped off the cowl piece I bought from him at YRC dock and I should be getting it on weds. unless its snows AGAIN!! He gave me a great deal and some good pointers on removing what i need. if its like everything else, patients is #1 I'm sure it will sit for a while before i get started. but looking forward to the challenge.