Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Alternatives to replacing core support?

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2011, 09:33 AM

Alternatives to replacing core support?

So, I've got a rusted out core support, of course, where the battery is. I probably need to take some pics to make it clearer as to the damage, but what can I do at this point? I know it's structurally important to the front end of the car. Can I somehow patch it with it in the car? Eventually I want to replace the whole core support but that's an expense for a future cashflow.

Any suggestions? I'll post some pics as soon as I can. You all pretty much know how these rust. The battery tray is pretty bad too, but that's no big deal, I can get an aftermarket one from the parts store.

I was considering just grinding down the bad areas with a dremel and bolting in a hunk of angle steel over the gap, then follow it up with some rustoleum. Will that work? It just needs to last a year or two before I can change out the whole thing.
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:47 AM
Administrator

There comes a time when a man has to do what a man has to do!!! By all means patch it!
Old November 21st, 2011, 07:29 PM

Same answer here...just do enough to hold the battery tray in place and move on to something else if you are going to replace it.

BTW---you can remove the support and leave the whole front clip (hood and fenders) on the car. Of course the front bumper and grill stuff has to come off.

Still...patch it up and don't go crazy...you can do that later when you prep a nice replacement part.
Old November 21st, 2011, 07:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 70Post
BTW---you can remove the support and leave the whole front clip (hood and fenders) on the car. Of course the front bumper and grill stuff has to come off.
Hmm, I was going to do that in the spring too. But I would need to have the inner liners re-installed first or their won't be much holding the fender in line, just the front fender bracing.

Patton, sorry to bug you - did you get your B85 molding yet from Steele?