Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

68 convertible side trim removal

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2010, 05:22 PM

68 convertible side trim removal

I am getting ready to prep for paint and need to remove the trim on the sides. I know are they help on with screw in type clips or plastic clips? Do I have to remove the door and rear trim panels to get them off or do they pop off?
Old January 22nd, 2010, 02:57 AM

If you are talking about the quarter panel trim, they are held on with studs and nuts on each end and snap on clips through-out the middle...try not to damage the middle clips as they are hard to come by, unless you check Fusicks...'69 uses the same clips...
Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:14 AM

I gather that means I do have to remove the interior trim panels...again. Just put them back on after taking care of window regulator roller repairs. Oh well......nature of the beast.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:26 PM
Randy C.

The quarters and the fender trim are held on by a special fastener that unbolts from the back side. You should save these as I haven't been able to find any new ones. On the door, the ends of each piece unscrew (screw head visible from the inside of the door at each end). There are studs on the door with plastic fasteners that slide onto the studs. The plastic fasteners slide into the door trim piece. If you remove the screw at each end, you should be able to very carefully slide the stainless trim piece aft (with the door open). As each plastic piece on the stud reaches the forward end of the stud, you should be able to free the plastic piece from the stainless trim. Once the door trim is completely off, you will see how to remove the plastic fasteners from the studs.

Randy C.