Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

66 delta trunk lid fit

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2014, 09:35 AM

66 delta trunk lid fit

Recently purchased a 66 Delta convertible and the rear edge of the trunk sits about a 1/4" back from the fender edges. The rest of the trunk body line is perfect and all other fitment (bumper, lights, etc.) seems perfect and there sure doesn't seem to be any previous body damage. Wondering if this is common factory fit issue or unusual.
Old November 14th, 2014, 10:01 AM

My '67 Delta convertible is the same way, and this doesn't seem to be that uncommon.

I pointed out this issue in another thread on another '67 Delta that was for sale on ebay a little while back. Others who responded seem to have the same issue.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-88-sedan.html

Here's a photo of my car, and from this angle you can see the trunk lid trailing edge sticking down (and out) a bit from the body. The spacing and fit are good along the sides and forward edge of the lid, so no adjustment seems possible without disrupting the fit along those other three edges. I just live with it. The lid opens and closes fine.

Old November 14th, 2014, 11:13 AM

Thanks for taking the time to post the picture. Misery loves company, at least I'm not alone with this problem. You sure would think OLds would have addressed this problem somewhere along the line.
Old November 14th, 2014, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by olddaz
You sure would think OLds would have addressed this problem somewhere along the line.
It's actually not surprising. In 2014, we tend to think of these old cars as magical and free of fault. But back in the day, they were just cars, and GM (and the other manufacturers), if you spent any time reading magazines like Consumer Reports, was semi-famous for sloppy manufacture, poorly fitting fenders and doors, rattles, and so on. Consumer Reports, whenever they would have an article rating cars, would conclude the discussion of each car by listing all of the "sample" defects the car had when they took delivery from the dealer. Some were downright hilarious, and many are things that you don't see today or that we as consumers wouldn't put up with. But it was different back then.

Earlier this year I started a thread concerning a 1967 Consumer Reports article rating full-size cars, and the list of sample defects noted for each of the four cars discussed was quite funny. You can see it in the first message here:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ay-1967-a.html