Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

54 Super 88 moulding clips needed

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2012, 11:46 AM

Question 54 Super 88 moulding clips needed

We have two belt mouldings that still need to be permanently attached to the Olds. See photo.

Originally, they used spring steel clips that snap into slots in the body. The moulding then snapped onto the clips. Unfortunately, after weeding out all of the rusty and/or bent clips, we didn't have enough for these pieces. They are just temporarily attached with double face tape, which is already letting loose.

We have been unable to locate new clips, or even used ones in good condition. I got my hopes up when I saw Restoration Specialties showed them in their catalog. Those hopes were dashed when I called them and was told they don't have any.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out an alternative. Our best idea, so far is to put nylon inserts in the holes and screw nylon clips onto those. The problem is, I can't locate any vendors that give dimensions of the clips they sell. I need some with a measurement at the outer edges at about 7/16". Can anyone help me out? Any info about what cars might have used a plastic moulding clip for a 7/16" wide moulding would be helpful. Or, if you have any NOS ones for our application, we'd surely appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks, everyone!
Old September 18th, 2012, 08:49 AM

1954 oldsmobile super 88

I do not know if this will be an effective source, but ebay seems to have the clips your looking for. At least by your description. here is a link, hope this is what you need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/trim-clips-n...44baa1&vxp=mtr

Last edited by robcross66; September 18th, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old September 18th, 2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by robcross66
I do not know if this will be an effective source, but ebay seems to have the clips your looking for. At least by your description. here is a link, hope this is what you need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/trim-clips-n...44baa1&vxp=mtr
It's mighty kind of you to provide the info. Unfortunately, that isn't the type of clip that I need. I'm looking for clips that are about 3/8" wide x 9/16" high that snap into a slot in the body about 1/4" x 1/2".