Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

1972 Cutlass owned by youngin

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2010, 07:06 AM

Exclamation 1972 Cutlass owned by youngin

Hey I have a current project car its a 72 4dr original gold 350 cutlass I'm the second owner. Has only 73xxx miles on it when i first bought it the car didn't run. I been working on it myself "I'm only 21" because every person i run into want to rip me off. I currently installed HEI distributor, plug and wires and she runs great cause I tuned her myself to feel and hear. Fixed brakes and new reserve so there great stoppin power but still jumpy. Almost forgot it was a muscle car cause it was old. live in Norfolk area and seen a few cutlass but never can catch up with anyone. My current problems is lost distributor clamp so i lost power and fine tune, haven't started car over bout month and half and carb keep chokin itself, need a solution on how to fix rust around window frame to stop water from comin in, and just found out right light went out but i think its a short.... I NEED HELP
Old November 12th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Past Administrator

First, get a distributor clamp. Without it the timing will not stay consistent and the car will not run well, or won't run at all. If you window frame is leaking you will have to have the glass removed and repair the window channel where it has rusted through. But first be sure it isn't the window frame itself. If you mean the rear window, double check the quarter sails and the valence between the bottom of the window and the trunk, especially if the car has a vinyl top, that could be where it is leaking. To repair it, all the old rotted metal will have to be removed and new material will have to be welded in, unless you just have pin holes. Then it might be possible to stop the rust with a rust stop product and then use epoxy to patch the holes. It would be best if you could locate the leaky areas and take some pictures of them and post them here.
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:26 PM

ok just got finish movin so i got time to get back on web. got clamp cause had to drive car so i found out i have a drop on power when i put car in drive but friend hooked it up to move from battery but have it disconnect now. I dont have ragtop and below back window is rusted to point i need to replace the part that bends trunk