Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

1967 Cutlass Supreme Floor Pans/Braces

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2014, 06:35 AM

1967 Cutlass Supreme Floor Pans/Braces

I have been moving along on the teardown of theCutlass. As I was climbing around underthe car I was inspecting the floor pans. The driver side floor pan absolutely needs to be replaced due to 2 majorareas of rot. While looking at the passengerside I noticed that the braces are starting to go and there are some areas onthe floor pan that are getting a little ugly. So my question(s) are:
1) Should I replace the entire floor pan and allthree braces?

2) Or should I just patch where necessary?

3) OPGI has a full floorpan w/braces no rockers for $810.
a. Has anyone ever used this floor pan from OPGI?
b. Is there another supplier that offers these at abetter price?
c. Is this one truly made in the USA?

4) The Parts Place has a full floor with all 3 braces and the rockers for $799
a.Has anyone ever used this floor pan from The Parts Place?
b.Is there another supplier that offers these at abetter price?
c.Is this one truly made in the USA?

Any information/guidance anyone can provide wouldbe greatly appreciated. I figuredeveryone likes pictures so here are a few of the teardown.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140202_114537[1].jpg (79.8 KB, 68 views)
IMG_0735.jpg (93.5 KB, 75 views)
IMG_0742.jpg (93.6 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by DLaz70OLDS98; February 3rd, 2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 06:48 AM

I dont know if you saw my Turnpike Cruiser thread in the major builds section but I just did this job. My rot looked worse than yours. I would not worry about the patch panels being USA made. There are lots of these parts on Ebay. I only replaced the floor brace ends. They just sell the ends if thats what you want and they have the body mount nuts with them. As for the floors I would just replace what is needes and cut out just what you need. All of my body mounts were shot.... Also Chevelle and GTO Le Mans Skylark of similar years use the same sheet metal patches.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:08 AM

Thanks Joe,
I have seen your build thread but haven’t looked at it in awhile. I am actually going to subscribeto it so I can keep up dated. I wasn’t awarethat you can buy the brace ends. Where didyou get them from? Your trunk and floorspan repairs came out great.
Both body mounts located under the front doors and the twobelow the back seat windows are completely gone and will need replacing. The four along the fire wall all snapped so Iwill have to work on getting them out once I lift the body. Theones in the rear are going to have to be cut since the bolt heads are prettymuch gone. It seems like every time Iwork on it I run into another MAW .
Thanks for the advice I will probably be picking your brainon some items as it appears we are both tackling similar projects.
Drew
Old February 3rd, 2014, 01:58 PM

Drew, I got my brace ends off ebay. My rear floors were fine. It is a lot less work just to replace the ends rather than the entire brace if you dont have to. I managed to replace my mounts with just a little lifting and working from the top mostly for the brace ends. As told in my thread its a little tricky getting a good weld on the braces to the inner rocker but it can be done from top side and from underneath. I used the air die grinder to clean the tight spots for welding and cleaning up the welds. Yes the more you pull apart the more work you find but I would rather find the problems and fix than to ignore them. Post some picts of your progress or start a build thread!
Old February 3rd, 2014, 07:42 PM

Joe, thanks for the info and the tips!
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:04 AM

No problem here is a link to the partial braces.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-72-Chevro...r#ht_760wt_645
Old June 9th, 2014, 01:40 PM

Ithas been a slow and argues process but I have gotten the driver’s side floorpan patched, welded and ground down. Ihave a few spots on the passenger side but nothing like the driver’s side. I plan on using POR15 on all the weld seems,than apply seam sealer, and finally paint the entire floor pan. #1 is this the right order and #2 what paintwould you recommend for the floor pan?
Old June 9th, 2014, 03:58 PM

I am doing the same on my 67 Cutlass! I am also replacing the body mounts and currently have the body sitting on 4x4s on top of the frame. This also made it easier to replace the inner rocker.
Old June 9th, 2014, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by DLaz70OLDS98
Ithas been a slow and argues process but I have gotten the driver’s side floorpan patched, welded and ground down. Ihave a few spots on the passenger side but nothing like the driver’s side. I plan on using POR15 on all the weld seems,than apply seam sealer, and finally paint the entire floor pan. #1 is this the right order and #2 what paintwould you recommend for the floor pan?
When I did my floors I ground the weld seams fairly smooth then seam sealed it then painted over just with primer. I figure there will be little moisture sitting on the floors or carpet from now on...
Old June 9th, 2014, 04:34 PM

I tried posting pics of my floor but wasn't able to. You can see it in my album. I still have lots of work ahead. Rear quarters , trunk, trunk braces and mounts. Lots of interior work too!
Old June 9th, 2014, 05:07 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by dpt618
I tried posting pics of my floor but wasn't able to. You can see it in my album. I still have lots of work ahead. Rear quarters , trunk, trunk braces and mounts. Lots of interior work too!

you can only call it a floor if there is something left to the floor

here is a pic from DPs album

Attached Images
floor.jpg (95.3 KB, 101 views)
Old June 9th, 2014, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
When I did my floors I ground the weld seams fairly smooth then seam sealed it then painted over just with primer. I figure there will be little moisture sitting on the floors or carpet from now on...
Thanks Joe.
Old June 9th, 2014, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
you can only call it a floor if there is something left to the floor

here is a pic from DPs album

Well at least your brace ends weren't completely rotted out. Lol Both ends of all three braces on my car were latterly gone.
Old June 10th, 2014, 10:37 AM

Hello Everyone,

I am in the same boat...I need to replace the full floor, braces, inner rockers, and full trunk. I have been looking into pricing and OGPI is HIGH. Does anyone have any experience with these from AMD http://www.autometaldirect.com/amd-6...ces-p-820.html

I have also looked into Fusick but they are pretty high as well.
Old June 10th, 2014, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by dads72
Hello Everyone,

I am in the same boat...I need to replace the full floor, braces, inner rockers, and full trunk. I have been looking into pricing and OGPI is HIGH. Does anyone have any experience with these from AMD http://www.autometaldirect.com/amd-6...ces-p-820.html

I have also looked into Fusick but they are pretty high as well.
I ended up buying the AMD 2 front floor pans and the 2 rear floor pans from Tamraz. They were decent as far as metal gauge; however, the firewall to floor section on the drivers side did not match up well at all. I ended up cutting that section off the new pan and bought a new firewall to floor section from classic 2 current fabrication. That thing fit in like butter! Keep in mind I am working on a 67 so it may differ for you. I would check out Tamraz for the full floor. They are not the best at communication and shipping sometimes takes forever but it is free shipping soooo..... I have also been real happy with the parts I got from Classic 2 Current fabrications.
http://www.c2cfabrication.com/
Good luck
Old June 10th, 2014, 05:19 PM

I bought the drivers side pan from Mill Supply Inc. and also bought the front floor brace from them I haven't installed them yet but they seem to be good quality.