trim clips for a 68

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2011, 01:15 PM

trim clips for a 68

you guys now were i can find trim clips that connect the trim on the fender? they look like this, im looking to get a pack of 10 but opgi only sells them single for 8 dollars.

http://www.opgi.com/common/C240764.jpg
Old June 10th, 2011, 01:36 PM

I bought this set, worked well, no nuts though. Try a seach on ebay for "68 69 442 clips"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-SIDE-PEA...sories&vxp=mtr
I dont think they are NOS

Last edited by Beob; November 6th, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old June 10th, 2011, 01:46 PM

Find a local Fastenal store and order a box of Auveco clips Part Number 2744. They are also listed as Fastenal # 0162646. They say Chrysler but they are the same thing. Put the clip in the molding and just bend the little wire outward until it tucks into the molding. They are sold in a box of 50 and I just paid $36 and change for a box. They do not have any nuts with them but they are a 10-24 thread x 3/4" long so order up a set of nuts and small washers to go with them. Or, find a shouldered nut so you can skip the washers. You can look at them on the Fastenal Website. The website says roughly $42 so I guess I got a little break on the price since I also ordered other fasteners.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...0162646&ucst=t
Old November 6th, 2011, 04:21 AM

So I gather from the above that the original elongated plastic clips are no longer available for these peak moldings? When installing the clips mentioned above do you apply silicone or something to seal them? Thanks for any response.
Old November 6th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I know this is an old thread, but I felt that I should add that all of these clips should be available on the rack at your local NAPA store, and that the price is radically different from the stated $8.00 EACH —— Guessing wildly based on the picture, if that is the 1/2"x11/32" clip, then NAPA has them 4 for $5 (#6651917) or 15 for $17.50 (#6651918), or about an eighth the price (and no shipping).

To find the category on line, search "Body Molding Clip, Steel."

- Eric
Old November 6th, 2011, 05:10 AM

I have yet to figure out how to get the old out and the new in. It seems that the old are to big to remove and the replacements to big to install.
Old November 6th, 2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by dmberendsen
So I gather from the above that the original elongated plastic clips are no longer available for these peak moldings? When installing the clips mentioned above do you apply silicone or something to seal them? Thanks for any response.
The only plastic clips used for 68 cultass S and 442's were the ones on some of the doors that had studs instead of holes and the ones that attached the rear 1/4 peak moulding on the convertibles. The front fenders in 68 & 69 all used the clip type that 69442C posted above.

If you painted before before drilling holes and the metal is well sealed there's no reason to use silicone. I found that the paint has a tendency to close the holes up particularily on the rear convertible 1/4 holes & I ended up having to file the paint off. On those holes I used silicone
Old November 6th, 2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Nilsson
I have yet to figure out how to get the old out and the new in. It seems that the old are to big to remove and the replacements to big to install.
Not sure of your exact problem. If youre refering to the fender peaks, they are screwed on from the inside of the fender. Once all nuts are out molding and clips should pull out. Clips should slide off and on from the ends of the molding.
Old November 6th, 2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Beob
Not sure of your exact problem. If youre refering to the fender peaks, they are screwed on from the inside of the fender. Once all nuts are out molding and clips should pull out. Clips should slide off and on from the ends of the molding.

Sorry I got off topic the clips will not slide out the ends of the door mouldings. That was what I was thinking when making my post.
Old November 7th, 2011, 07:43 AM

Sorry I got off topic the clips will not slide out the ends of the door mouldings. That was what I was thinking when making my post.
The door end molding clips are also spring loaded. The spring is over an inch long and tucks under the molding lip. Maybe rusted, does it slide at all? Maybe a couple drops of oil will help, also is it possible to clip the old spring off. I bought my new ones from fusick (part DEM689) and did have to work it a bit to get it in.
Rob
Old November 7th, 2011, 08:51 AM

I've found the easiest way to remove them is by grabbing the spring with needle nose pliers and removing it from behind the moulding edge. Installing them is the reverse. Sliding them is a PIA, especially the new ones where the spring tension is still good. By using the pliers you can put them exactly where you want them. Obviously you have to have the moulding completely removed to do this.