Cowl/water dam replacement help

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2022, 04:45 PM

Cowl/water dam replacement help

I'm sick of opening my door to 2 inches of water everytime it rains so I want to get this out of the way, it's like the last panel that's rotted on my car. I was planning on replacing the top middle section that has the windshield wiper motor in it and where the water runs down to the fenders. Any guides on this? Do I have to remove the front section of the firewall or does it slide behind that? Any pictures of it?. Tac weld spots?
72 fastback

Last edited by HarrySlother; February 8th, 2022 at 07:28 PM.
Old February 8th, 2022, 06:32 PM

I'm not sure the area your describing. Is this under the cowl screen? Can you post a picture of the area on your car? And what year & model of car are you working on?
Old February 8th, 2022, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I'm not sure the area your describing. Is this under the cowl screen? Can you post a picture of the area on your car? And what year & model of car are you working on?
Link to replacement part
it's the under the screens, the wiper motor arms are in the valley, the rain water runs down the sides and down the fender.
Old February 8th, 2022, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
And what year & model of car are you working on?
Yeah, that little tidbit of informaton may actaully be useful in order to provide any information to resolve the issue.
Old February 8th, 2022, 07:37 PM

Could it also be, the water seal is not in place around the kick panel where it goes into the cowl side opening?
Old February 9th, 2022, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Could it also be, the water seal is not in place around the kick panel where it goes into the cowl side opening?
The kick panel with the vent? That's not where the waters coming I deleted it. I sent the part thats rotted on my car
Old February 9th, 2022, 05:10 AM

If the base of the windshield is rusted through the water will run into the driver's compartment. I had already patched the area below the dash metal in this pic but if yours was Swiss cheese like mine was then water can run right in behind the dash. The area inside the cowl where the wiper transmission is mounted doesn't usually have a lot of rust. Usually they rust at the bottom on each side of the cowl. You also have to make sure the cowl can drain at each side. If there's crap in there plugging it up the water can make it's way into the cabin too

The lower cowl has to drain into the rocker panels. If the rocker panel drains are plugged up that can force water into the cabin as well. You can see how the lower cowl was rusted out in this pic. It's from crap building up in the lower cowl, retaining moisture and then rusting. The outside of mine was rusted as well

Last edited by allyolds68; February 9th, 2022 at 05:18 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2022, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
If the base of the windshield is rusted through the water will run into the driver's compartment. I had already patched the area below the dash metal in this pic but if yours was Swiss cheese like mine was then water can run right in behind the dash. The area inside the cowl where the wiper transmission is mounted doesn't usually have a lot of rust. Usually they rust at the bottom on each side of the cowl. You also have to make sure the cowl can drain at each side. If there's crap in there plugging it up the water can make it's way into the cabin too

The lower cowl has to drain into the rocker panels. If the rocker panel drains are plugged up that can force water into the cabin as well. You can see how the lower cowl was rusted out in this pic. It's from crap building up in the lower cowl, retaining moisture and then rusting. The outside of mine was rusted as well

I've had the front end off and windshield out and fixed everything that was accessible. The area inside the cowl has big holes in and I've tried using fiberglass as a temporarily solution but there's still small holes. I know the part I sent is what I need replaced, I just want to know if anyone's done it before or if there's information on it