Exhaust manifold leaking

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2015, 06:24 PM

Exhaust manifold leaking

Went to custom exhaust guy "Lou's Custom Exhaust" and he fixes exhaust manifold leak (after having manifolds both sides skim cut) and replaces gasket. One month later drivers side leaking and he says it's the "head" it's not flat and gasket won't seal it. Not sure if this guy is right so I buy a "copper gasket" and have him install it and now it's still leaking but in a different spot. I say if it's the head it would leak in the same spot any advice out there? Trying to get the 455 to purr again help!!!!!
Old July 28th, 2015, 06:46 PM

Fyi the factory used no gasket there. A gasket just makes for something to fail down the road. He was on the right track to have the manifold milled. The head surface may also need this.
Old July 28th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Shoveling Snow

Use high temp silicone sealer.
Old July 29th, 2015, 08:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
Use high temp silicone sealer.
While I've never had an issue sealing the manifold to the head, I've had really good luck with Walker Acousti/Seal (P/N 35959). It's available from RockAuto as well as auto parts stores (in the US, anyway). Most of the high-temp silicone sealers aren't rated for continuous use at exhaust port temps.

Old August 1st, 2015, 05:09 PM

exhaust leak help!

unfortunately you went to the wrong shop,these chain shops don't usually have people experienced in older cars let alone oldsmobiles. of course they claim to be experts and you would like to believe them. i am back from vacation so if you still want me to straighten that out for you call me.i can install the dual system they told you couldn't be put on your car also.it sucks to miss convertible top down time in new england because the season is not long enough so i feel your frustration. jim
Old August 3rd, 2015, 05:50 AM

Hey Jim thanks for the reply. I will say the guy from Lou's is a standup guy he called back and found a gasket he said would work and installed it and did not charge me for it very professional...Lou's Custom Exhaust got the job done!
Once convertible season whines down I still want the duals so I will be in touch Jim
Old August 3rd, 2015, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Roschy
Hey Jim thanks for the reply. I will say the guy from Lou's is a standup guy he called back and found a gasket he said would work and installed it and did not charge me for it very professional...Lou's Custom Exhaust got the job done!
Once convertible season whines down I still want the duals so I will be in touch Jim
What part of {you don't need a gasket period did you not understand} yep he is a professional alright.Pardon my understand of what a great exhaust guy at Lou's is.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 01:43 PM

Hey wr1970 if I had an infinite amount of money I guess I would have had the heads removed and skimmed cut. But the real world is the gasket route was much cheaper and removing the heads could also lead to other problems so yes went with the gasket route which I am willing to bet is not uncommon. So yes I say the guy is a professional because he stood behind his work the leak is fixed and I know not wat u consider "professional" but $ dictates how deep the problem can be fixed too
Old August 3rd, 2015, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Roschy
Hey wr1970 if I had an infinite amount of money I guess I would have had the heads removed and skimmed cut. But the real world is the gasket route was much cheaper and removing the heads could also lead to other problems so yes went with the gasket route which I am willing to bet is not uncommon. So yes I say the guy is a professional because he stood behind his work the leak is fixed and I know not wat u consider "professional" but $ dictates how deep the problem can be fixed too
You just had several people tell you how to solve the problem for very little cash. You are the one who never responded that you had tried this method.You didn't state if your professional even knew about this method. Also it should have never leaked if he knew what he was doing.I am glad you got the problem solved no matter how you got it fixed.
Old August 4th, 2015, 07:05 PM

Suggestion

http://catalog.remflex.com/OLDSMOBIL...T_p/11-002.htm

Try these. I have used them to seal leaking headers and exhaust manifolds with great success. Just used a set on Sunday on my 72 W-30. Good to be leak free again.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; August 4th, 2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old August 13th, 2015, 06:06 AM

Thanks Dave the gaskets you recommended is exactly the gasket the guy from Lou's used and are working so far...WR I know u do not approve...