1967 425 - should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2010, 08:18 PM

1967 425 - should I buy it?

While looking for a 4 barrel intake for my 65 425, I ran across a 67 425, complete. C heads, 2 barrel. Don't have the block number yet, don't know if it has 39 or 45 degree cam angle.

The guy is asking $300.

My problem? I'd have to find garage space, there's nothing wrong with my current engine (that I know of, knock wood), I have no idea what shape it's in, it's 340 miles away, and it might seriously **** off my wife.

On the plus side, I suspect it might be significantly cheaper to rebuild the 67 compared to the 65, if it ever came to that, in terms of parts expense/availability.

What do you think? Worth the aggravation?
Old February 21st, 2010, 05:54 AM

Garage space, things can always be moved around to make space even if it means selling something.

Pissing off the wife, it doesn't matter what you buy it will **** off your wife. If she buys something and you say something about it then she still gets pissed.

Having an extra engine, a complete engine for $300 that's within reason. Its always nice to have an extra engine. Sounds like a nice road trip.

Is its cheaper to rebuild the 67 over the 65, I have no idea. Parts may be a little cheaper, but I don't know. Machine work is where your going to spend most of the money if you want a good engine.
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:05 AM
Oldsdruid

Probably not much difference in rebuild cost as they are essentially the same engine, but odds are that's a big valve engine even though it IS a 2-bbl- they'd do weird things like that. If it has an S LH exhaust manifold, I'd be surprised if it didn't have big valves. Corollary- by being a 2-barrel, it is probably a 45 degree block.

For 3 bills, it's worth it if it will turn. If it pisses off the wife, tell her to put her big girl panties on and get over it. Unless it means the difference in putting food on the table or missing the house payment, that's childish.

Then again, I've found a lot of women can be childish when it comes to their guys' hobbies.
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:21 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by rocketraider
If it pisses off the wife, tell her to put her big girl panties on and get over it. Unless it means the difference in putting food on the table or missing the house payment, that's childish.
Then again, I've found a lot of women can be childish when it comes to their guys' hobbies.
X2 One needs to have a good understanding with the wife about the cars. Talk to her, reason with her, encourage her. The hobby can be a great thing for both of you.
I know, easy to say for me. My wife is the biggest asset I have when it comes to the cars.
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:40 AM

Kurt I wish my wife was more understanding like yours. My wife sees cars as a tools, that is it.

I still don't know how I talked her into letting me buy the Cutlass. I did talk to her and I took her to see it before I bought it. She was fine with me buying it at first and has been mad ever since. She will get over it when the car is done.

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; February 21st, 2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:57 AM

Exclamation

I would buy it!
Old February 21st, 2010, 06:58 AM

Probably not much difference in rebuild cost as they are essentially the same engine, but odds are that's a big valve engine even though it IS a 2-bbl- they'd do weird things like that. If it has an S LH exhaust manifold, I'd be surprised if it didn't have big valves. Corollary- by being a 2-barrel, it is probably a 45 degree block.

For 3 bills, it's worth it if it will turn. If it pisses off the wife, tell her to put her big girl panties on and get over it. Unless it means the difference in putting food on the table or missing the house payment, that's childish.

Its reasons like this, is why I am not married!
Old February 21st, 2010, 07:34 AM

She could have much more, or less to complain about.
Your are not "DOING" other women (I hope not), so there is no reason for her to be jealous. You should not have to talk her into it-and let you get greasy as you see fit in your spare time. She should trust your judgement, unless you are certifiably nuts.

Toronado's had the 39 degree engines, I think, and all of them are definitely 4 bbl. A 2 bbl engine will be from a large car, with those oddball manifolds, and such. I'd hold out, or find a better deal closer, if it were me.

I have been toting a bunch of this stuff around for 30 years, and it will change your perspective on things. If you need an engine, or a 4 bbl MANIFOLD, buy what you really need.
If you have $300 for an engine, you can get a manifold, valve job, timing set, or whatever you REALLY need to perk yours up.
If you want to be an engine, collector (like me...) you need a bigger place. Do that first.
That is how I see it.
Jim

Last edited by Warhead; February 21st, 2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old February 21st, 2010, 09:28 AM

Warhead, I'd say what you offered makes the most sense for my situation. Yes, it'd be nice to have a spare that I could work up the way I really want, so I could just swap it out someday - but the odds of that actually ever happening are pretty slim, really.

So, you've successfully talked me off the ledge! And now I have an extra $300 to put somewhere more useful!
Old February 22nd, 2010, 03:43 PM

glad to help out!
Jim
Old February 22nd, 2010, 03:53 PM

yep great advice from warhead, especially in these times, I have extra manifolds, intakes etc just taking up space in my garage - one day I'll sell it all because I haven't used any of it in 10 years, what makes me think I'll use it tomorrow.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:26 PM
Registered Luser

Then again, i've found a lot of women can be childish when it comes to their guys' hobbies.
lmao......:d