455 piston selection

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2017, 02:45 PM

455 piston selection

Hey folks, so my engine is at the machine shop. It had to have 3 cylinders sleeved, and then everything bored .030 over.

I'm trying to shop around for pistons, and I have a goal of 9:1 CR or so.

Cylinder heads are E code 80cc (99 percent sure they have never been shaved).

Any of you have a piston recommendation? I was thinking -25 to -30cc, but I am no expert at calculating compression. Id like to be able to run 87, or 89, super is really expensive where I live.
Old February 20th, 2017, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by NorthernMainer
Hey folks, so my engine is at the machine shop. It had to have 3 cylinders sleeved, and then everything bored .030 over.

Any of you have a piston recommendation? I was thinking -25 to -30cc, but I am no expert at calculating compression. Id like to be able to run 87, or 89, super is really expensive where I live.
Keith Black/Icon makes a good 25cc forged or 30cc hypereutectic. Either one of those should give you what you're looking for.
Old February 20th, 2017, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Keith Black/Icon makes a good 25cc forged or 30cc hypereutectic. Either one of those should give you what you're looking for.
Awesome, thank you. I found the 30cc on summit. I wonder if they come with wrist pins... Not sure where to order just the pins
Old February 20th, 2017, 05:04 PM

Awesome, thank you. I found the 30cc on summit. I wonder if they come with wrist pins... Not sure where to order just the pins
They'll come with pins and locks but no rings.
Old February 20th, 2017, 05:15 PM

If you go with the KB's make sure to read the instructions very closely as far as ring end gaps. The KB pistons typically require a much larger top ring end gap than normal. You WILL have to file fit the top rings. If you don't understand the instructions, ask your machine shop.

You might want to ask your machine shop about ordering you an entire engine kit with the KB pistons in it. You will always save money by buying a complete rebuild kit with the parts you need as compared to buying everything separately. I can usually meet or beat most of the mail order prices on Olds parts. Your machine shop might be able to do the same ?
Old February 21st, 2017, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by BillK
If you go with the KB's make sure to read the instructions very closely as far as ring end gaps. The KB pistons typically require a much larger top ring end gap than normal. You WILL have to file fit the top rings. If you don't understand the instructions, ask your machine shop.

You might want to ask your machine shop about ordering you an entire engine kit with the KB pistons in it. You will always save money by buying a complete rebuild kit with the parts you need as compared to buying everything separately. I can usually meet or beat most of the mail order prices on Olds parts. Your machine shop might be able to do the same ?
Yeah I'm going to just leave it up to him. He knows what he's doing, and I really don't.
Old February 21st, 2017, 04:23 AM

I would strongly recommend staying with the forged pistons and definitely NOT using any cast pieces.

Just built one of these recently, customer very satisfied with the outcome. Platform was 455" , forged .030" over Icon pistons/H-beam rods, 9:1 C.R., retro-hyd-roller, and 100% stock-appearing outside.

This was dynoed with the Q-jet carb and OEM factory int/exh manifolds, unit made 404+ HP @ 5200 and 481# Torque @ 3800.

(Add) Hi Bill (above)!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. This is not a simple "bolt-together" build, much "clearancing" to make it all fit together but the results are well worth the effort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds 455 Finished B.JPG (88.6 KB, 92 views)
Old February 21st, 2017, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by GOSFAST
I would strongly recommend staying with the forged pistons and definitely NOT using any cast pieces.

Just built one of these recently, customer very satisfied with the outcome. Platform was 455" , forged .030" over Icon pistons/H-beam rods, 9:1 C.R., retro-hyd-roller, and 100% stock-appearing outside.

This was dynoed with the Q-jet carb and OEM factory int/exh manifolds, unit made 404+ HP @ 5200 and 481# Torque @ 3800.

(Add) Hi Bill (above)!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. This is not a simple "bolt-together" build, much "clearancing" to make it all fit together but the results are well worth the effort.

Are these the pistons you used? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/u...ake/oldsmobile

Also curious on cam selection etc. I will be running a single plane intake (possibly) because I've heard issues running dual plane with a fitech system.
Old February 21st, 2017, 02:14 PM

Are these the pistons you used? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/u...ake/oldsmobile

Also curious on cam selection etc. I will be running a single plane intake (possibly) because I've heard issues running dual plane with a fitech system.
I can help with a cam. But a Torker isn't the best choice for your combo. Maybe the Edelbrock Efi would be better. I'm told that works fine dual plane intakes.
Old February 21st, 2017, 02:55 PM

Definitely the right pistons, definitely the wrong price though!! Don't know why they have them priced that high??

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. If you should end up using those pistons I would also consider taking advantage of the "floated" wrist pins with the lock rings by using a set of Eagle H-beam rods. It helps to raise the HP numbers. The L/W (1/16") ring pack alone on those Icon's is a "plus" for power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds 455 Pistons-Rods.JPG (75.3 KB, 78 views)
Old February 21st, 2017, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
I can help with a cam. But a Torker isn't the best choice for your combo. Maybe the Edelbrock Efi would be better. I'm told that works fine dual plane intakes.
Edelbrock is way over what I'm willing to pay. I'll either run the Fitech, or go with a Holley Sniper Efi kit. If you're willing to help me choose a cam, that would be great. Still on the fence about a hydraulic roller, or a flat tappet. Would like the hydraulic roller, so I could run regular oil with no additives.
Old February 21st, 2017, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by GOSFAST
Definitely the right pistons, definitely the wrong price though!! Don't know why they have them priced that high??

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. If you should end up using those pistons I would also consider taking advantage of the "floated" wrist pins with the lock rings by using a set of Eagle H-beam rods. It helps to raise the HP numbers. The L/W (1/16") ring pack alone on those Icon's is a "plus" for power.
I think that price is with rings! Ill check around though. See if I can find them cheaper.
Old February 24th, 2017, 02:53 PM

I think that price is with rings! Ill check around though. See if I can find them cheaper.
I have a set of ICON887s 30 over. They have never been run but were hung on rods but taken off. I ended up going with ICON 886. I will let them go for $400 shipped. You can PM me if interested.
Old February 26th, 2017, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by VinMichael
I have a set of ICON887s 30 over. They have never been run but were hung on rods but taken off. I ended up going with ICON 886. I will let them go for $400 shipped. You can PM me if interested.
I appreciate the offer, but I wound up ordering a set thursday.
Old February 26th, 2017, 01:52 PM

I appreciate the offer, but I wound up ordering a set thursday.
No problem. Good luck with your build.
Old December 1st, 2018, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by VinMichael
Any chance you still have these?
Old December 3rd, 2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by UND_Sioux
Any chance you still have these?
I ended up using them for a build. Sorry.