Turkey Tray

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2016, 02:32 PM

Turkey Tray

When reinstalling an intake manifold, do you guys put in a new turkey tray? What would happen if you didn't? I put a edlebrock manifold on my 455 and there seems to be oil leaking at the rear of the motor. Would the lack of a turkey tray cause this? Thanks
Old November 29th, 2016, 03:07 PM
Administrator

It may be leaking from the wall area between the block and manifold. Did you use the rubber gaskets that the edelbrock instructions said not to use, or a thick bead of silicone?
From instructions:
4. Do not use cork or rubber end seals. Use RTV silicone sealer instead. Apply a ¼" high bead across each block end seal surface,
overlapping the intake gasket at the four corners. This method will eliminate end seal slippage.

It also recommended this gasket:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-7284

A lot of us have used the turkey tray with and without the end seals also.
Old November 29th, 2016, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by 67Rocket
When reinstalling an intake manifold, do you guys put in a new turkey tray?
Yes, always new if you are using a turkey tray. The other option is a composite gasket.
What would happen if you didn't?
The seal is made when the raised areas around all of the ports are crushed between the intake and the heads when the bolts are tightened. If you reuse the tray, the areas are already crushed so they do not make a good seal.
I put a edlebrock manifold on my 455 and there seems to be oil leaking at the rear of the motor. Would the lack of a turkey tray cause this? Thanks
The turkey tray does not make a seal at the front/rear end rails - this is sealed by either the rubber end seals in the gasket set or by a bead of silicone.
Old November 30th, 2016, 06:05 AM

Thanks for confirming what I thought, I put only a thick layer of black sealant on the ends but I guess not thick enough. Guess its time to pull the intake and try again, at least its aluminum and lighter than a factory intake. Thanks again
Old November 30th, 2016, 06:16 AM

If you do not want to pull the intake again, I have had very good luck by cleaning the end gap with solvent (I use lacquer thinner) and pushing the RTV into the opening where it isn't contacting the manifold with my finger until I feel it has enough to re-seal. Make sure the solvent has evaporated before adding the extra RTV.
Old December 1st, 2016, 05:01 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by edzolz
If you do not want to pull the intake again, I have had very good luck by cleaning the end gap with solvent (I use lacquer thinner) and pushing the RTV into the opening where it isn't contacting the manifold with my finger until I feel it has enough to re-seal. Make sure the solvent has evaporated before adding the extra RTV.
X2, I have also had success doing that with a small leak when I installed my intake and I have gotten away with reusing the turkey tray.