Torker vs, Performer

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Olds Dreamer

Torker vs, Performer

I have both and always thought the performer was best and the one i wanted to use. but reading around here lately i dont know which one i want to use.

My engine is a 455 bored .030, high compression pistons, c-heads, fireball camshaft duration is 314 degrees and .475 lift for both intake and exhaust, hei distributor, hooker long tube headers, 200r4 tranny with a 3000 stall, and 4.10 rear end gears.

it will mostly be a sunday driver, go out and race every once in awhile and occasionally drive it the 30 miles to the bigger city to play.
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:34 PM

i have a torker as well, not installed, and from what ive read its best for wide open racing or just given er ****. not the best for low end tork, but olds make so much low end tork im puttin it on my 425 anyway. with a manual you often wind it out any way. giddy up
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:34 PM

Do some research, and consider Edelbrock's new Air Gap RPM big block manifold. I believe the operating range will probably better suit your needs (1500-6500). I have a Performer on my big block car, and an RPM on the small block car. Both versions are street cars with the small block having more aggressive characteristics (big inch envy). I have been pleased with both but hood clearance is always a major consideration. Good luck with your project!
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Olds Dreamer

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
Do some research, and consider Edelbrock's new Air Gap RPM big block manifold. I believe the operating range will probably better suit your needs (1500-6500). I have a Performer on my big block car, and an RPM on the small block car. Both versions are street cars with the small block having more aggressive characteristics (big inch envy). I have been pleased with both but hood clearance is always a major consideration. Good luck with your project!

I will probably stay with the torker or performer for now. mainly because i already have them. on my next engine i will probably do flat top pistons and aluminum heads then i will do differant intake.

so performer is better for low end torque. torker is better for more torque at higher rpm would that be better for highway?
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:57 PM

I'm not an expert but have always heard for daily driving with a stock to mild build the dual plane performer is better. Then for racing or wide open throttle applications the single plane torquer seems to be the best. I know I've pulled torquers off of several boat motors over the years and you can imagine how they were run! John
Old March 1st, 2011, 04:34 AM

With that big lazy cam and 4.10 gears I'd be inclined to do the Torker. What size carb? When you say high compression pistons, what piston is it?
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:43 AM

I'd also say the torker - with your stall and gear, you're into the right RPM range amost immediatly
Old March 1st, 2011, 08:03 AM
Olds Dreamer

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
With that big lazy cam and 4.10 gears I'd be inclined to do the Torker. What size carb? When you say high compression pistons, what piston is it?

carb is not bought yet probably quadrojet.

just the high compression piston of 70 i think part#L2323.
Old March 1st, 2011, 08:04 AM
Olds Dreamer

I forgot to add 28 inch tires 275-60-15.
Old March 1st, 2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by all4442
carb is not bought yet probably quadrojet.

just the high compression piston of 70 i think part#L2323.
With those pistons you're at 9.75:1 probably at best.
That's a single pattern cam if I'm not mistaken, anything done to the heads, i.e. crossovers filled etc?

The Performer will drive better and you can run a larger carb with it than you can the Torker. But the Torker will give you more upper end hp. If you do decide to run the Performer cut the center divider down a half inch, helps the upper end.
Old March 1st, 2011, 02:00 PM
Olds Dreamer

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
With those pistons you're at 9.75:1 probably at best.
That's a single pattern cam if I'm not mistaken, anything done to the heads, i.e. crossovers filled etc?

The Performer will drive better and you can run a larger carb with it than you can the Torker. But the Torker will give you more upper end hp. If you do decide to run the Performer cut the center divider down a half inch, helps the upper end.
the heads are rumored to be built by mondello even though no one can prove it. i guess both are good just depends on what i want to do?
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by all4442
the heads are rumored to be built by mondello even though no one can prove it. i guess both are good just depends on what i want to do?
Yes each one has its' place.