Reproduction Manifold and Zinc Valve Covers

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2015, 09:57 AM

Reproduction Manifold and Zinc Valve Covers

I am in the process of pulling and rebuilding the motor in my 70 442. I am contemplating buying a reproduction W30 intake and a set of Zinc valve covers to dress up the engine compartment (the car has Ram Air). I am wondering if I do this if it will detract from the value of the car. Please let me know your thoughts.. Thanks JD
Old January 8th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Johnd
I am in the process of pulling and rebuilding the motor in my 70 442. I am contemplating buying a reproduction W30 intake and a set of Zinc valve covers to dress up the engine compartment (the car has Ram Air). I am wondering if I do this if it will detract from the value of the car. Please let me know your thoughts.. Thanks JD
If your car is completely stock including a factory-installed W-25 setup, then yes, changing it will hurt the ultimate value. The reality is, however, that these are bolt-on parts that are easily returned to stock. I don't know what "zinc" valve covers are. I assume you mean chrome. Personally I wouldn't waste a dime on chinesium chrome covers, as they are guaranteed to leak oil. The W-30 intake is your call. This intake is internally identical to the cast iron stocker, so there is no flow difference. The only performance benefit would be a weight reduction. Since the car is obviously not a W-30, it won't fool anyone, either.
Old January 8th, 2015, 10:30 AM

John, if your car is a 442 originally equipped with the W25 option (OAI) and have documentation to that effect, I'd leave it alone - and would consider leaving everything else stock in the engine bay. 442's with OAI that were not W30's are actually pretty rare from what I've seen posted here before - only about 12% of the cars had it from what Blackgold's info states.
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The W-30 intake is your call. This intake is internally identical to the cast iron stocker, so there is no flow difference. The only performance benefit would be a weight reduction. Since the car is obviously not a W-30, it won't fool anyone, either.
On the repro intake, actually, there is a flow difference. I've seen the dyno numbers on someone who did it back to back and it's quite a bit. If you are only concerned with looks, then like Joe said, your call. If you want performance, the repro is not the way to go.

on a related side note, is there another company besides The Parts Place repro'ing the alum W-30 intake?
Old January 11th, 2015, 06:40 AM

Joe and Joe,

Unfortunately, the builds sheet for the car was destroyed by mice. The only proof I have that the car came with Ram Air and Spoiler is the original color of the pieces and a picture from the mid 70's. I don't know why the guy who ordered it didn't just order a w30, as he also got gauges and dualgate.

JD
Old January 11th, 2015, 03:19 PM

Joe and Joe,

Unfortunately, the builds sheet for the car was destroyed by mice. The only proof I have that the car came with Ram Air and Spoiler is the original color of the pieces and a picture from the mid 70's. I don't know why the guy who ordered it didn't just order a w30, as he also got gauges and dualgate.

JD
John, that is even cooler. I'd wouldn't W-30 it if I were you, but it is your car!!!