Replacement Radiator for 67 442 auto?

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2011, 07:41 AM

Replacement Radiator for 67 442 auto?

Just doing some research.

What radiator would a 67 442, stock 400ci, auto, A/C take?

I want it to 'fit', and I wanted something that was somewhat 'stock' looking, so I'm not going with big flat aluminum tanks, etc.

But more than anything, it needs to keep the car cool. The Spectra Premium that comes up is a 1 core radiator (PN # Cu165) and that is at a lot of the aftermarket parts vendors such as Rock Auto, etc.

Is there a vendor that has a multi core in a stock looking package that works? PN#?

Based on some other postings, most seem to recommend going to a multi row radiator on replacement.

Any good thoughts/experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old March 25th, 2011, 03:05 PM

After the problems I had with a mail order radiator, you might try a local radiator shop and get yours recored if its the original one. I am sure they can make or get you the correct radiator. It should be at least a 3 row core as that is what your car came with. I needed to have the one I bought corrected on the lower outlet tube as it came too small for the hose to connect. The guy asked how much I paid for the radiator ($433.00) and when I told him he gasped and said he could have built me one much cheaper.... but I knew he would say that anyway. This is a shop that got me for 300 and change for a 66 Sfire recore. Great work but I would not call them cheap.
Old March 30th, 2011, 06:22 PM
doc

I ran into the same problem today w/a SILLA #8168 radiator in my '66 F-85....lower outlet is too small (1.6" instead of the 2" of the original).

I'm debating what I should do.....the spectra plastic tank radiators are the same.

My original is getting really thin - been "repaired" twice.
Old March 30th, 2011, 06:38 PM

I got a 3 core from Radiator Barn, cheap and adequate. It is generic so you need to plug a hose nipple on the driver's side (I soldered on a copper plumbing cap), and the lower hose from a 72 Cutlass 350 fits it better. Cut the top fitting to remove the necked down end and you will use the bigger diameter hose nipple there. I run a fan shroud and clutch fan; if you run enough timing it will cool OK.
Old March 30th, 2011, 08:30 PM

I got this guy to build me one
http://www.chevellecooling.com/
I got 2 rows of 1.25" tubes to go in my 66. I received it today. I will have to modify the original mounts as this radiator needs to use the 4 core brass rediator size rubber cushions and the 66 only has a 2 row mounts. He will make it however you want it, any size hose fittings, straight or angled hose fittings, straight or angled fill neck, anything you want. I paid $485 including shipping. I believe Griffin will build direct fit replacements also.
Good Luck
Old March 31st, 2011, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by doc
I ran into the same problem today w/a SILLA #8168 radiator in my '66 F-85....lower outlet is too small (1.6" instead of the 2" of the original).

I'm debating what I should do.....the spectra plastic tank radiators are the same.

My original is getting really thin - been "repaired" twice.
Try a lower rad
hose for an '80-'84 full sized Olds...I swap rads between the Regencys and '68 Cutlass when I am in a jam...
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:24 PM
doc

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Try a lower rad
hose for an '80-'84 full sized Olds...I swap rads between the Regencys and '68 Cutlass when I am in a jam...
I bought one tonight, will try it out...thanks for the tip!
Old April 5th, 2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
After the problems I had with a mail order radiator, you might try a local radiator shop and get yours recored if its the original one. I am sure they can make or get you the correct radiator. It should be at least a 3 row core as that is what your car came with. I needed to have the one I bought corrected on the lower outlet tube as it came too small for the hose to connect. The guy asked how much I paid for the radiator ($433.00) and when I told him he gasped and said he could have built me one much cheaper.... but I knew he would say that anyway. This is a shop that got me for 300 and change for a 66 Sfire recore. Great work but I would not call them cheap.
I just had one recored for $370. They did a great job. I also bought one from a mail order place, was supposed to fit but didn't and I paid more for that one.
Old April 9th, 2011, 05:40 AM

ROBSKI to the rescue

Guys here's the deal ONLY if you don't mind not looking original??? Go to Auto Zone and order radiator part number 433840, it's an aluminum radiator for a SUBURBAN that drop fits into a 67 without a hitch!. Now I'm running a M-21, for an automatic car you will have to re-route your trans lines and that's it. $146.99. Then go to NAPA and order part number 900 and 901 $7.29 each. These are the radiator hose sleeves that will compensate for the difference in hose sizes, you slip these on the radiator before you put your hoses back on. Motors runs very COOL.....at least mine does!
Old April 9th, 2011, 05:46 AM

Here's a not so good picture, but that radiator is there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN1986-1.jpg (41.8 KB, 55 views)