J & S Safeguard knock control

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2013, 06:43 PM

J & S Safeguard knock control

I had mentioned in another post regarding detonation issues that I was going to install a knock control unit from J & S safeguard. I finally installed it on my 65 Cutlass. My car was getting obvious detonation at times and I was scared to boot it. I have to say.... it works awesome! I have no more detonation issues. You can see it backing off the timing to control the knock.

I noticed it especially when the car was climbing steep hills under acceleration, and when I stomped on the gas. More so when it was hot. It has an optional gauge that shows when and how much timing is being controlled as well. This could help when setting up your timing.

My car engine wasn't heavily built up. Just a cam for lots of low end torque. The car has 250 something gears so its quite a load to take off with. I had my distributor done by DUI to try and avoid detonation issues but they still came up.

I don't think its meant to replace proper set up of your timing but can help in times when no high octane gas is available and is used a lot by racers and RV people. It cost me a bundle but it was worth it.
Old August 13th, 2013, 06:53 PM

I'm surprised you had to go this route. I have the HC 330 ci in my 66 and it gets by fine on 91 octane. I run about 8-10 initial and whatever that comes out to be with a stock distributor for total. I will say that it pings less with the 4.10's than the original 2.78's. Less strain on the engine I guess?
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:15 PM

I think so. I have a 308 diff to install that im sure will help but Im not there yet. I just couldn't have fun driving the car knowing it was detonating at times. Not so much on 94 gas but its hard to come by. It is so nice to not have to worry about this anymore.

I have seen so many threads where guys are having this problem. Hopefully this could be an option. Expensive as it might be...
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:31 PM

I was just thinking of starting a discussion of how to ascertain if your engine is having detonation or spark knock... My hearing was never that good, and what with the hole in me one good eardrum now.... I'm deef like my grampa was, almost. I know modern engines HAVE knock sensors, was thinking it'd be electronically easy to make its signal into a visual indicator for the operator.
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:35 PM

I have a Heath Kit ocilloscope if you want to get crazy with it Octania, hehe.
Old August 13th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Administrator

I remember the conversation with scooters issues. So which one did you get? Pictures and price? How technical was it to install?
Old August 14th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Mr. Johnson

MSD has them Also. Just find a place to screw it into the side of the block. It has NO timing control though basically just a flashing light with a sensitivity **** for adjustment. You can pair it though with a retard control on a msd box to adjust timing on the fly inside the car.
Old August 31st, 2013, 06:38 PM

Been off the grid for a while.

My safeguard is a Vampire. Only three wires and a knock sensor. I think everything including the gauge cost me around 600. I have had it for a couple of years. Just never had the time to install it. Mounted it under the passenger seat (sort of...still have to tie it down)

It is worth it to me. I took my car up into the mountains today and you can see it adjusting the timing when under heavy load going uphill. It also comes on more often when using 91 octane gas as opposed to 94 which is hard to find.

Gives me peace of mind for sure.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:30 PM

PICS Not much to show really http://s460.photobucket.com/user/442...00277.jpg.html