HEI Distro rebuild/recurving

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2012, 07:10 PM

HEI Distro rebuild/recurving

Ok have some questions on rebuild my distributor. As I mentioned in other thread I discovered my vacuum advance was frozen and not working correctly. So I ordered a HEI tune up kit from Summit. I borrowed a 1/2 inch drive set so I can set TDC on #1 before I pull the distributor and a Digital timing light for when I go to install reset timing. Now I have been reading plenty on this matter and understand how to do it. My question comes with the weights. My Summit kit came with new weights and springs(which are not color coded and the light/medium look the same) but no bushings. So I picked up a Mr Gasket kit that had the bushing. My question is should I keep my current weights if all is good with them and just change springs? Or should I use the Summit weights/springs together? Also I found that apparently its not common practice anymore to use Heat Sink Paste(grease or whatever you want to call it) between your ignition module and distributor? Mine came with Dielectric grease and when I tried to find some no one carried it? Even reading online I've seen rebuild articles using the dielectric because the paste is more likely to dry out. But is the dielectric going to serve the same purpose and protection. I know it to be a moisture/rust prevent/lubricant not a heat dissapation. What do you guys think?

Thanks
Magna
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:38 PM
MasterDaddy

I need to do this to my motor too. When you get it set would you please post what you did to achieve the best results? I have heard to use a light spring and a medium spring to begin with. Also, concerning the weights, I was told to use my old weights as they wouldn't have rough casting material and be prone to hang up like the cheapy made aftermarket weights. Don't know if that's true or not, I plan to look at mine when I get it apart. I'll use steel wool on my old ones and make them look like new if I reuse them. I'm interestd in your results. I have a 425 in my Cutlass.
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Use heat sink paste for heat absorption, dielectric grease for electrical insulation.

Dielectric grease does not belong under any heat-producing electrical component. It is not designed to transfer heat.

Do not install your HEI module without heat sink grease. If you don't have any, go to Radio Shack and get some. It's not expensive, and a tube will last forever.

- Eric
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:42 PM

Ah forgot Radio shack would carry it. Now to see if one around here.
Old March 27th, 2012, 03:57 AM
72 Olds CS

when I recurved my HEI I used a moroso kit. Unlike some of the other kits the moroso kit (about $12) had nice well made heavy weights (similar to originals) the spectre weights they were replacing were a joke, it also came w 2 sets of bushings

I ended up at 1 light 1 mid spring. I found that 2 light springs had me advancing at idle and 2 mid springs had me over 4k rpms and still not all of the mechanical advance. 1 mid and 1 light spring put me in the low 3k rpms for near total advance.

now I need to get an adjustable vacuum advance can as w a light load I show more total advance (55-56°) than i want, thats w 15° intial. I thinki can run closer to 20° initial if I get the adjustable vac can

BTW I beleive the crane advance kit comes w the adj vac can (its also availible seperately)

some more info here https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-hei-help.html

Last edited by RetroRanger; March 27th, 2012 at 04:07 AM.