Fuel pump rebuild kit?

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2011, 03:27 PM

Fuel pump rebuild kit?

I need a fuel pump rebuilt for my '59 Dynamic... Fuel is just dripping from the pump but I can't find exactly where it's escaping from. It's gotta be from the outlet side judging by how much fuel is leaking. It's not the fuel line btw.

I would prefer to do it myself but can't find a rebuild kit anywhere.

Anyone know where I can find a kit? Have any suggestions on what to do? Would I NEED to replace the diaphragms n everything else? Or can I get by with just replacing a gasket and see if that works?
Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:20 PM
Texas Jim

I have never seen a fuel pump rebuild kit, but maybe the old ones are screwed together and not rivited. I'd take the pump off and check it all. If the diaphram is bad, in some cases, the fuel can leak into your oil and thin your oil, ultimately destroying your engine. If your pump can be rebuilt, do the entire thing, it's most likely inexpensive and better to take care of the whole thing at once. Good Luck.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 10:21 PM

Ya, the pump is basically three outer pieces (not counting internal parts) held together by screws. In this picture the part above the vacuum diaphragm is one piece, the part below the fuel diaphragm is another piece, and in between the two diagrams is the third piece. The parts are secured together at the diaphragms, which essentially act as a gasket as well. (for those who may not be familiar with the construction)

You're talking about the fuel escaping through the diaphragm and passing through where the rocker arm inserts the block to the cam shaft and getting into the oil, correct?

2011-02-24005435.jpg
Old February 24th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Registered

This guy may have the rebuild kit if it's the type pump he sells them for, does rebuilds and sells pumps too.

http://www.classicpreservation.com/fuelpumpkits.html

USA Parts Supply sells rebuilt pumps.

http://usapartssupply.com/

The ethanol in the gas now could of started your pump leaking, I put some in my GTO by mistake and the gasket on the carb inlet fitting started leaking within a half an hour.
Old February 24th, 2011, 05:48 AM

I keep trying to call Classic Preservation but can't get a call returned as advertised...

Correction... Just tried calling again and got a message stating "closed til monday while family business is being taken care of", so it must be a bad time this week

Last edited by Captain_Fish; February 24th, 2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old February 24th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by Captain_Fish
Ya, the pump is basically three outer pieces (not counting internal parts) held together by screws. In this picture the part above the vacuum diaphragm is one piece, the part below the fuel diaphragm is another piece, and in between the two diagrams is the third piece. The parts are secured together at the diaphragms, which essentially act as a gasket as well. (for those who may not be familiar with the construction)

You're talking about the fuel escaping through the diaphragm and passing through where the rocker arm inserts the block to the cam shaft and getting into the oil, correct?

Yes. W/ some fuel pumps it's possible that the fuel gets into the oil if the diaphram goes bad and w/ others it can't happen. If I have no info on a certain pump, I am always into being safe instead of being sorry. I personally feel that the beauty of all the "old" components is that they CAN be rebuilt, and no need to go out and buy a replacement. I wish that the components of today were still rebuildable rather than throw-away.
Old February 24th, 2011, 01:13 PM

I was talking with Hal (I think that was his name) from Classic Preservation this afternoon and discussing some things. I hate that everything is designed to just be disposed of and that it's so difficult to find anything that's not poorly engineered anymore...

I'm thinking about ordering 2 or 3 rebuild kits next week just to have them, b/c you never know what the future holds.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:30 PM

Call Tony from Than and Now Automotive in Weymouth, MA 781-335-8860. He rebuilt my fuel pump for my 64 Starfire. He also sells rebuild kits. I had it back in less than a week from NJ.

http://www.maritimedragracing.com/th...otive___se.htm