71 Olds 455 oil filter leak?

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2017, 05:53 PM

71 Olds 455 oil filter leak?

I have a 1971 olds 455 v8.
I don't know what car it origionally came from, I assume a cutlass.

I have a Fram PH25 oil filter on the engine, is this the correct filter number to be using?

The oil filter adapter was replaced and I used a new gasket when replacing the adapter, I don't see leaks there.

I turned on the filter by hand, used some oil on the seal like I always do on oil filter changes, still leaks no matter how tight I put it by hand.
Old January 7th, 2017, 06:24 PM

If it leaks you maw take it back off, check the seal first. If that's not it then look into the adapter aspect of it. It may require a different filter but most likely the seal failed.
Old January 7th, 2017, 06:28 PM

Yes that is a filter that can be used. The leak might be because you may have a double rubber seal and it isn't sealing correctly. I hate to admit it but one time i missed the rubber seal was already stuck to the oil filter housing when i removed the filter .So when i installed the new filter it also had a rubber seal. That is how you end up with two. Just a thought.
Old January 7th, 2017, 06:40 PM
Hookers under Hood

I did the same thing ^^^^ Put the new filter on with the old oil filter seal stuck on the housing. But my leak was very noticeable it gushed out quickly.
Its not uncommon to see oil seepage at the bottom of the oil filter that drips once in a while. It shouldn't leak much at all just a noticeable leak the odd time. That is what I've experienced from oil changes.
Some leak a little some seal up great.
Eric
Old January 7th, 2017, 06:46 PM

When I removed the old filter the gasket did come off of it, I have it set aside as a spare. lol

I forgot, when I bought the new oil filter adapter and put it on, I reused the old oil filter adapter gasket, how easy is it for those gaskets to leak?
(The gasket between the block and filter adapter, I'm thinking of buying another and swapping it.)

Its hard to tell, its dry above the adapter, but oil drips from the top of the filter.

Last edited by GHOSTOWLGRID; January 7th, 2017 at 06:49 PM. Reason: added
Old January 7th, 2017, 06:57 PM

I think you have identified the issue. Reusing gaskets is not a good idea, especially on one as inexpensive and critical as the oil filter adapter.
Old January 7th, 2017, 06:57 PM

Never reuse a gasket. No harm no foul. Reinstall the adapter with a new gasket and filter. Hope it's fixed.
Old January 7th, 2017, 06:59 PM
Hookers under Hood

Does it drip often? I never reuse the old gasket.
Old January 7th, 2017, 07:11 PM

I hope it is as simple as changing that gasket out.
I did not take it apart yet, I only looked under what I could see.
I wanted to make sure I at least had the right oil filter first.
It drips enough that a 20 mile or so round trip loses a little over 1 quart.
Old January 8th, 2017, 07:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

The Olds oil filter adapter is aluminum. Be sure the mating surfaces for the oil filter and the block gasket are not nicked. If you remove the adapter, you should dress the surface that bolts to the block by using find wet-or-dry sandpaper on a flat surfact (glass is really good for this). Tape the sandpaper down on the flat surface, apply a few drops of oil, and slide the adapter back and forth to ensure the gasket surface is flat.
Old January 8th, 2017, 10:31 AM

I made an error, turns out the oil is coming from higher up.

I wasn't able to see to well before, I listed the car now and saw it.
I checked the distributor post, it is perfectly fine, no oil coming from or around it.

Oil seems to be coming out from the back passenger side fo the intake plenum.
I have an edelbrock performer on it, I put new gaskets and the silicone beed in the corners, the rubber strips front and rear, I guess its leaking.

I am disappointed I have to remove this to fix it.

I carefully ran the engine while looking, the distributor post is dry for sure, its the intake.

Unless there is something back there I might be missing, I assume thats the only places to check.
Head gaskets are fine, put those new and have no issues there.
Old January 8th, 2017, 11:00 AM

Throw the rubber end gaskets away and use a 3/8 inch bead of the right stuff gasket in a can to seal the intake.
Old January 8th, 2017, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by m371961
Throw the rubber end gaskets away and use a 3/8 inch bead of the right stuff gasket in a can to seal the intake.
Old January 8th, 2017, 11:24 AM

Without removing the intake, I carefully pulled the rear rubber out, surprisingly easy to do.
I cleaned the opening carefully with a towel and brake cleaner.
I used high temp oil resistant silicone and put a bead inside the opening, I went off memory of how wide the surface was and was careful not to push any inside the engine.
I added some extra on the outside overlapping the intake and block just to be safe, its the back of the engine so the cosmetic aspect is not a big issue for now.

My oil leak has stopped, its disappointing that it leaked that easily. The front rubber is still fine, so I'm leaving it alone.

Thanks for the info on what to use, when summer comes I will look into redoing this with the proper stuff, but I might leave it alone if it stays dry. lol

Last edited by GHOSTOWLGRID; January 9th, 2017 at 10:42 AM. Reason: added