1965 442 Back In The Game

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2015, 05:20 PM

1965 442 Back In The Game

Well, I got my 62 Pontiac convertible sold and gone on Tuesday, so......back to work on my Olds today.
Replaced the gasket under the carb, and that seemed to get rid of lots of vacuum leak. Had to reduce the idle speed screw quite a bit. Was smoother, too.
Then decided to find the pieces for my timing light. Thought it was fine at 14 degrees, until I realized I hadn't pulled off the advance hose yet.
Pulled it off and plugged it, and was running at 0-2 degrees initial timing. Not good. Moved it to 14 degrees, hooked up the advance hose again, and it's running better yet. Had to idle the rpms down a bit more. This is the best it's run since I converted back to gasoline from propane. Still starts when it's hot, as well.
Tomorrow I'm going to check the pcv. Think I still have a vacuum leak, because I can still turn the fuel mixture screws in all the way and it keeps running. Sure is better today, though. Put it in gear and it chirps the tires without stalling. Getting better.....yeehaw......giddee up.
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:26 PM
Justin

Good to hear Dave !!!
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Glad your back on it. If your idle speed is too high, your carb will be out of the idle circuit and the A/F adjustment screws will not do anything.
Old February 19th, 2015, 10:11 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

awesome dave! you have to bring it by the shop when you get a chance...
Old February 20th, 2015, 05:43 AM

great news dave, fired mine up the other day, its time to get dirty again
Old February 20th, 2015, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Glad your back on it. If your idle speed is too high, your carb will be out of the idle circuit and the A/F adjustment screws will not do anything.
I find I'm having trouble differentiating between things I used to know, and forgot.........and things I never knew at all, just thought I did.

Numerous calls to friends picking their brains, and looking up questions on the internet. I'd even forgotten how important the pcv is to vacuum. Seems to me it almost pulled the end off my finger last time I checked it. They aren't supposed to pull that hard. Might be worn out. Going to try a new one today, that is way more restrictive.

I find I get all wrapped up in the bigger stuff like engine swaps, bodies off frames, etc., and forget the little things. Focus...

I'm trying to stay focused, but now I sent an e-mail to that person in the valley with the two 65s. They have a 65 Cutlass rag with rusted out frame, plus a 65 Cutlass four door parts car. Down to asking $1600 for the pair.

How can I possibly stay focused?
Old February 20th, 2015, 08:02 AM
Administrator

How much vacuum is the PCV pulling? Good vacuum is not a bad thing.
Old February 20th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Justin

Lol that's me Dave! Always looking for the next project and can't even finish the one I got.
Been looking at a holiday coup 65 and two post cars 65 and 64 all three could be a great back yard art ( wife didn't laugh ) but I have three boys and enough parts to get them all running lol

focus focus focus
Old February 20th, 2015, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by oldstata
Lol that's me Dave! Always looking for the next project and can't even finish the one I got.
Been looking at a holiday coup 65 and two post cars 65 and 64 all three could be a great back yard art ( wife didn't laugh ) but I have three boys and enough parts to get them all running lol

focus focus focus
I hear ya! The guy I sold my flat top '65 to said he'd sell it right back to me if I wanted it. Shhyaaa! Of course I do! But I gots ta focus on my 64 until finished...
Old February 21st, 2015, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
How much vacuum is the PCV pulling? Good vacuum is not a bad thing.
It appears I'm pulling around 12-14 on the vacuum gauge now. Not sure how much is getting through the pcv, but the new valve seems just slightly more restrictive than the old one.
Went around with a can of aerosol yesterday but didn't find any obvious leaks. The grommet in the booster has a number of splits, but didn't register an rpm increase with the spray.
The carb could be hooped, as well. I've never known it to run correctly since it was rebuilt five or six years ago. Sitting in a drawer since then probably hasn't helped it any.
Old February 21st, 2015, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo
I hear ya! The guy I sold my flat top '65 to said he'd sell it right back to me if I wanted it. Shhyaaa! Of course I do! But I gots ta focus on my 64 until finished...
What IS the status of the 64? That is a very cool car. I would have driven it just the way it was. No patience for total rebuilds. My attention span just won't stand for it.
Old February 21st, 2015, 07:40 AM

focus focus focus
It's a sickness for sure, and there's no cure but to BUY BUY BUY !!
If your wife lets you have even one of those three, it'll be a small, but important victory.
Old February 21st, 2015, 08:10 AM
Justin

Originally Posted by HonestDave
It's a sickness for sure, and there's no cure but to BUY BUY BUY !!
If your wife lets you have even one of those three, it'll be a small, but important victory.
I am sick very very sick I have three 455 3 th400 and 4 sets of Bbo heads . And about midway in my project

The wife is very understanding I get many victories with her. We have been together 7 years today is our 5 year anniversary.
It is starting to get tougher as she just graduated a few months back as she was a stay at home mom with four kids and full time student. Day care is expensive even more so then my car or house lol
Old February 21st, 2015, 09:18 AM

Justin......yowsers !

Happy anniversary !!

You need to win a lottery to help with daycare.
Old February 21st, 2015, 11:58 AM
Justin

Thanks Dave

Any how did you get your car changed over from the propane to gas through your dmv ? Or who ever you had to ?

What carb are you running

14-20 hg of vacuume seem pretty good if memory serves me depending on altitude
Old February 21st, 2015, 12:26 PM

Thanks Dave

Any how did you get your car changed over from the propane to gas through your dmv ? Or who ever you had to ?

What carb are you running

14-20 hg of vacuume seem pretty good if memory serves me depending on altitude
It turned out that the people telling me it needed inspecting, were confused. It was a gray area. The guidelines say if a vehicle is going from one fuel to another it needs inspecting. Actually, it was an original gasoline car being driven on gasoline, so it was able to avoid the inspection. The rule was meant for people changing a factory fuel set-up to something else.

The carb I'm running is an old Chev Rochester that was on a Pontiac 350 one of the kids had years back. They had it rebuilt, but there were so many issues with the engine (wrong intake for instance) that it took all of my wiles, and another carb / manifold set-up to make it run perfectly.
This carb is newer, late seventies or early eighties with the double "D" fuel mixture adjusters. I keep thinking it'll work good on something, but so far no luck. It was the only spare carb I had in the drawer at the time. I didn't feel like finding dual four barrels for the Offy 360, so I went stock 455 cast iron intake.
Old February 21st, 2015, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by HonestDave
What IS the status of the 64? That is a very cool car. I would have driven it just the way it was. No patience for total rebuilds. My attention span just won't stand for it.
Funny you should ask, my good man...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...upe-resto.html