Really stupid mistake

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2015, 11:25 PM

Really stupid mistake

I own an old gas station that has a center post lift with the 4 arms extending out from the center post, and because I've had several Corvettes, I put a couple of 2x12 boards as ramps so the Corvettes would clear the arms on the lift. That's where I work on and store my '68 442 convertible. Tonight I went for a midnight cruise with the top down, but when I put the car in the garage with the lift, I accidentally drove off the boards and when I backed the car up, I snagged the oil drain plug on one of the arms of the lift and ripped the drain plug out of the pan. I was angry and amazed at my stupidity. OK, question: where is a good place to get a new oil pan, and can it be replaced without having to take the motor mounts loose and having to jack up the engine? Thanks for any help or comments. Stupid me.
Old August 12th, 2015, 05:31 AM
Administrator

Sorry to hear of your misfortunate accident. One of the guys here may have a pan for you. No there is no way of getting the pan off without loosen the engine mounts and jacking the engine up. I also would pop the distributor out before jacking the engine up.
Old August 12th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

+1. That sucks. These things do happen, though, and getting an oil pan from a member here should not be expensive.

Also, on the bright side, you have a lift.

As Eric said, remove the distributor, raise the car, remove the motor mount long bolts to separate the mounts, jack the motor from the crank (GM had a special tool, but you should be able to use a piece of wood), remove the oil pan screws, rotate the engine, if necessary, to get the crank counterbalances into the best position, and drop the pan.

You could have done a lot worse - like not noticed that the plug was off and gone for a drive...

- Eric
Old August 12th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Take a quick look at the lack of clearance between the pan and the crossmember, and you'll very quickly understand what a PITA it is to try to do this with the engine still in the car. THEORETICALLY it can be done, but by the time you get the engine lifted, you are only a few trans bolts away from just pulling the engine.

Pulling the engine is MUCH easier, as it means you're replacing the pan with the engine on a stand rotated oil pan up and not under the car with oil dripping in your face. The only downside to pulling the motor is the MIGHTASWELLS...

Mightaswell replace the rear main seal, and mightaswell check the bearings, and mightaswell put a timing chain in it...
Old August 12th, 2015, 10:19 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

^^^What Joe said. Pull it. Easier all around from a physical standpoint all the way down to not scratching the new pan paint. No elbow marks on the fenders as well! You'll thank yourself for not attempting to do it in car. The area where the pan meets the front cover can be a royal PITS. Not so much with the engine on a stand. If your an older enthusiast your body will thank you too.
Old August 14th, 2015, 05:11 AM
car nut farmer

Man, sorry to hear that.
Old August 14th, 2015, 08:50 PM

Thanks to all who responded. I'm in agreement with you about pulling the engine. Also, a friend of mine who owns a salvage yard found me a good used oil pan, so I'll use it. Again, thanks to all who responded. This is a great website. Mike.