Mufflers for stock W-30

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2012, 04:55 AM

Mufflers for stock W-30

I have a 70 Conv. W-30 with stock exhaust and mufflers. It is too quiet!!
I would like a little more exhaust sound but still want to hear my radio on the highway.
I was looking at the 50 Series Delta Flow Muffler. Is anybody using them and are you happy with them?
Joe
Old January 13th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Sid

50 series flowmasters muffers

I have 50 series flowmasters muffers on my 57 Super 88 and my 67 Cutlass and I think they sound just great. Not to loud just mellow. Hope this helps, try them I bet you will be happy.

SID
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Flowmasters are great so long as you don't want to hear your radio on the freeway. Google "flowmaster" and "drone"...

Well, at least they consistently prove to be among the most restrictive aftermarket mufflers available in magazine tests.

I've had great success with Walker Dynomax turbo mufflers. Nice sound, no obnoxious drone, higher flow rate than (no)Flowmaster. A slightly more aggressive sounding muffler is the Magnaflow. I have one of those on my 62 and while I initially found it too loud, after about 3000 miles of driving the fiberglass packing has apparently carboned up and the sound is now much more pleasing.
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:36 AM
MOTORHEAD

I put on some magnaflow mufflers on the Olds last spring and am happy with them.

I put porters on my truck and like the sound of them. They are a bit more throaty than the magnaflows. They might be too loud for your radio listening pleasure.

http://www.portermufflers.com/

I personally am not impressed with the flowmeisters
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:50 AM

I have flowmasters on my 70 Supreme. It is a 350 2bbl carb, and i think it has a real tinny sound. Maybe because it is a plane jane.
I have dynomax on my '64 and I really like the sound and tone. It is a pretty wild set up.
Now, I just put a complete 2.5 Magnaflow sys on my '68 Cutlass with a 350 2 bbl carb. I really don't like the sound. Again maybe because it is a 140,000 mile plus plane jane engine. To me it sounds like it is gurgle water in the pipes.

I'm thinking of going to the dynomax muffs.

Gene
Old January 13th, 2012, 01:29 PM

I am trying to keep the original pipes and thought the Flowmasters would be a bolt in.
Are all Magnaflows weld ins?
Joe
Old January 13th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Ben

1 vote for the Dynomax Ultraflow

I will say however... While in general I dislike flowmasters.. My neighbor has flowmaster 50's on his 66 chevelle w/ a fairly radical 406 small block in it, and it sounds GREAT, and not obnoxiously loud inside the car or out. No annoying drone either.

I would avoid the 40's, Super 40's though.
Old January 13th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by 2oldsguy
I am trying to keep the original pipes and thought the Flowmasters would be a bolt in.
Are all Magnaflows weld ins?
Joe
pretty much all mufflers are designed for slip fit. They can be welded, or clamped. The new stainless steel band clamps are real nice. Hold stuff tight w/o pinching it like the old C clamps did, making it impossible to take apart again.

A lot of muffler shops will cut the inlet/outlet pipes off or nearly flush with the muffler case when making custom exhaust... Makes it very hard to change mufflers w/o requireing butchering the exhaust.

I like the flowmaster american thunder mandrel bent exhaust kits (available w/o mufflers for $300 i think). Fits together very well, including the tailpipes.

I installed the set on my 68 elcamino in my driveway with the car up on jackstands. I purchased & used the stainless band clamps. Took me about 4 hours because i didn't know what i was doing, but when it was done, was way nicer than some of the "custom" systems i've gotten from exhaust shops.
Old January 13th, 2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2oldsguy
I would like a little more exhaust sound but still want to hear my radio on the highway.

Joe
Nice looking car - a great color combo if I say so myself

I haven't heard my radio on the highway in years - is yours stock, with the top down I can barely hear it around town - I went with flowmasters, still pretty quit though can't remember which model though
Old February 4th, 2012, 07:32 AM

Dynomax ultra flow. Have on my 442
Old February 4th, 2012, 06:13 PM

Lets see. Mufflers. 2.5". In 3 years, I have had Magnaflo first with the x pipe. (Hated the mustang sound). Converted that to true duals with the magnaflow mufflers. (To loud and raspy). Added hooker aero chambers. (Nice but to loud). Next, added resonators. (not bad but it still popped alot.) Next, added walker 20" case super turbo's. (to quiet).
Everyones taste is different.
I now changed everything to a flowmaster 2.5" H pipe system with Pypes race pro mufflers 2.5 x 18" case. So far, no popping, quiet at idle and cruise, and loud on throttle. Just what I was finally looking for.
I know, but hey, it has to be to my way.
Old February 4th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Olds Nut

i put 50 series flowmasters with the factory exhaust pipes and no drone. You really cant hear the exhaust going down road. My SX has the 40 series and has a drone going down road it has 2.5" exhaust also.
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:09 PM

On my 350 i have a flowmaster american thunder 2.5 inch exhaust with H pipe and super 44 mufflers. I dont mind them , and they dont drone as bad as super 40s do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYdQ-PFW-oY
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:02 PM

I really like the flowmasters on my 70 442.
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by FL1970442
I really like the flowmasters on my 70 442.
What series Flowmasters do you have?
Joe
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:47 AM

I put Flowmaster 50s on one car with full exhaust, and they still droned too much. Right now I have Thrush Super Turbos on the Cutlass exiting under the car and they sound fantastic. Only $25 each too.
Old April 9th, 2012, 10:05 PM

i have tried the doug hurbert full boar mufflers on my old cutlass (350 w/ w31 cam) they sound better at idle than going down the road, it sounded like a funny car sitting there and nothing but a roar going down the road. then ive tried cherrybomb glasspacks liked them ok but now ive got some flowmaster 40s for my real W-31, which wont see the highway anyways with a 3:91 gear.
Old November 8th, 2013, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by 1971four4two
I put porters on my truck and like the sound of them. They are a bit more throaty than the magnaflows. They might be too loud for your radio listening pleasure.

http://www.portermufflers.com/
I just put the Porters on my 1972 Cutlass this summer, I think they sound incredible on it and everyone asks what mufflers I'm using as they have a very unique sound of their own.
I got the 20" versions so the shop had to angle them to fit in the muffler pockets of the floorboard but the sound and sound level just seems to match the car perfectly. They were a little quiet at first but once they "broke-in" the unique sound was just right. I live close to Porter's headquarters and they had my Cutlass in their booth at the Car Craft show. I promised them a video for their YouTube channel, still haven't made one yet. lol
Stomping on it makes it sound like war has broken out but when I back off the gas I can drive with the windows up on the highway, no radio, and I'll hear barely any exhaust sound. That was my biggest worry as I've had other popular muffler on my other cars and the highway drone was deafening!
Since then I've put them on my daily driver and I already have a set of stainless steel models for the Firebird!

PS - Just noticed how old this thread is, didn't mean to drag it back up just wanted to share my experience...

Last edited by Murco; November 8th, 2013 at 01:20 PM.