Hurst dual gate shifter

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2013, 07:47 AM

Hurst dual gate shifter

Can the dual gate shifters be rebuilt and if they can who does it.
Old July 11th, 2013, 08:58 AM
72 Olds CS

I saw on hursts site they offer a rebuild service, IIRC it was about $200

http://www.hurst-shifters.com/?page_id=17
Old July 11th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
I saw on hursts site they offer a rebuild service, IIRC it was about $200

http://www.hurst-shifters.com/?page_id=17
Let's see if I have this right. Rebuilding an aftermarket Competition Plus is $165, but rebuilding an OEM one is $250?!?!?

That sound you hear is the BS meter going off.

The only difference between the two is the snap-in vs. bolt-on stick. I guess this is called "market pricing". Those paint-dab-and-chalk-mark guys will pay anything...
Old July 11th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Mr. Johnson

Last I heard Hurst will for 175 plus parts. I'm lazy and bought a brand new Hurst V-Matic for 225 to replace my dual gate.
Old July 11th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Let's see if I have this right. Rebuilding an aftermarket Competition Plus is $165, but rebuilding an OEM one is $250?!?!?

That sound you hear is the BS meter going off.

The only difference between the two is the snap-in vs. bolt-on stick. I guess this is called "market pricing". Those paint-dab-and-chalk-mark guys will pay anything...
Yes, you pretty much have it right. And BS it is. Also, the OEM shifters do not have stops and the aftermarket does. (The stops were dropped on the OEMs to reduce cost).
Back in the '90s it cost as little as $40.00 to get them rebuilt in Cleveland when Hurst was owned by Mr. Gasket. (I still have my receipt). It was originally done to be a unique service to Hurst shifter owners, not a profit source. The cost went to $75.00 at some point shortly after. Hurst was eventually bought out by B&M and that was the beginning of the end. B&M only bought Hurst to eliminate the competition. Rather than dissolve Hurst, they just capitalize on the name when they can. And they just "stick it to you" whenever they can. At SEMA last year, I personally asked them about this ridiculous price discrepancy, and was told it was because the shifters were "very different". I told them they were not talking to someone stupid and that I knew better, and asked them again why. Needless to say, they were done talking to me.
There is a Pontiac guy who rebuilds them who does a good job and charges less, but still a lot. Quite frankly, he is taking advantage of B&M's high prices himself, so he will go nameless with me because of that.
The component parts are available for rebuild and could be done by anyone with decent mechanical abilities for a whole lot less.
Old July 11th, 2013, 12:18 PM
72 Olds CS

where can you get the parts ?
Old July 11th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
where can you get the parts ?
Various places. Through Hurst (but expensive, of course), various car brand sites (Like Chevy), and Ebay. Shop for best prices.
Old July 11th, 2013, 06:04 PM

Shifter Rebuild

Pete Serio is the Pontiac guy that was referenced above. I know he rebuilds 4 speed shifters, he helped me with my GTO stuff. Not certain about rebuilding the Dual Gate. You can reach him through his site, precisionpontiac.net