EBAY WARNING - BEWARE oldsfreddy

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2011, 01:54 PM

EBAY WARNING - BEWARE oldsfreddy

Hi Guys,

There's a guy on Ebay who's been listing Olds parts these last few weeks. He had an NOS 70-72 d-side quarter panel that went for $1145 and a set of nice used 70 fenders. I think I bid around $950 but didn't meet the reserve.

He also had listed an NOS d-side quarter panel for a 68-72 El Camino, which had no reserve. He started the bidding at $100 and I was the only bidder, so I won. So I'm thinking.....cool, I got an NOS GM quarter for $100, and he wanted $125 to ship. So I immediately paid him with Paypal.

The next day he emails me and says he's never had this happen before, but his wife ran over the quarter panel in the driveway.....and he wanted to refund my money. Now we all know he either forgot to put a reserve on the quarter or figured demand would be high enough that it would go for big bucks. Others have them listed on eBay for a grand, but none ever sell.

So I respond to his email saying......no problem, I fully understand, stuff happens. Just send me a pic of the run-over quarter for my Ebay records and you can refund my money. He replies saying he'll send the pic, no problem. A week goes by and no pic. I ask him for it again. And finally I asked him for it a third time saying if he didn't send a pic I would have to let eBay handle it. Well......he opens a case against me with eBay saying he wants to refund my money and eBay wants to know if I will accept his reason. I say sure......if he sends me a pic.

Well.......long story long.....I call eBay and they basically said they cannot force a seller to sell an item. There is no contract really between buyer and seller. I'm not upset or anyting, I don't really need the quarter, it was just a good deal. But if the guy had just been honest and told me he screwed up I would have been fine. We all makes mistakes....I've been there. You go thru life and whenever a situation comes up there's always one right way to deal with it and usually a lot of not-so-right ways. Seems most people pick the latter.

So this is just a warning. If you deal with eBay member "oldsfreddy" remember my story. If you know oldsfreddy or if he's on this forum tell him to grow a set and man-up next time. The "my wife ran over your quarter panel" is dumber than "my dog ate my homework". What a chucklehead.

You've been warned. )

later,
bob
Old November 27th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by bobb

So this is just a warning. If you deal with eBay member "oldsfreddy" remember my story. If you know oldsfreddy or if he's on this forum tell him to grow a set and man-up next time. The "my wife ran over your quarter panel" is dumber than "my dog ate my homework". What a chucklehead.
AMEN. That's weak sauce right there.

Maybe he has 7 starving children at home and really needs the money......but most likely greed is at fault here.
Old November 27th, 2011, 02:57 PM

I remembered as a buyer, everytime you hit that "bid" button, it "warned" you that you are about enter a "contract" with the seller. A one-way contract maybe?
Geez. At least he did not keep your $$...
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Ive got the someone stole it out of my car runaround about 5 times from diffrent sellers....yeah right....
Old November 28th, 2011, 03:10 AM

After a little digging it turns out that "oldsfreddy" is actually Frederick Echeverria from Racine, WI.

Just FYI

take care,
bob
Old November 28th, 2011, 03:52 AM

I don't understand why you want pictures of the quarters if he said they got damage and willing to refund all your money back don't understand why your making a big deal about this. I could understand if he didn't refund your money back then I would report him to eBay. BUT not for sending pictures Just my own option.
Old November 28th, 2011, 04:13 AM

i thought the pictures was a great comeback . He bid to win and when the seller didnt get what he though it was worth pulled a fast one. I would have been more than willing to send him the info he needed if it was true Just as if I got a cracked intake from a seller and he needed to se it before he would work with me on sending back. I have had one other seller do this to me but they just pulled it when no one was bidding . Relisted later with a reserve
Old November 28th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by RALLYE KID
I don't understand why you want pictures of the quarters if he said they got damage and willing to refund all your money back...
Simple - He lied and this proves it.

There is an expectation that we all will conduct our business in good faith.
Sure, caveat emptor and all that, but in the end, buyers and sellers are expected to be honest.
This guy put an item up for sale under certain conditions, didn't get the price he wanted, then violated those conditions in order to avoid the consequences of his actions. It's flat-out dishonest.
I thought the request for photos was a cool move, too. It doesn't serve an objective purpose, but it proves that he's a liar, and allows his name to be posted here as such.

Remember, if he lied about this, he probably lies about other details of things he's selling.

- Eric
Old November 28th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Originally Posted by mdchanic
simple - he lied and this proves it.

Sure, caveat emptor and all that, but in the end, buyers and sellers are expected to be honest.
This guy put an item up for sale under certain conditions, didn't get the price he wanted, then violated those conditions in order to avoid the consequences of his actions. It's flat-out dishonest.
I thought the request for photos was a cool move, too. It doesn't serve an objective purpose, but it proves that he's a liar, and allows his name to be posted here as such.

Remember, if he lied about this, he probably lies about other details of things he's selling.

- eric
x2
Old November 28th, 2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Simple - He lied and this proves it.

- Eric
All I'm saying that the guy gave his money back he could of 1) keep the money and you got nothing 2) Send the damage quarters. As far as pictures REALLY come on what are we in preschool guys come on!!!
Old November 28th, 2011, 05:49 AM
"me somebody" site member

REALLY come on what are we in preschool guys come on!!!
Welcome to the interwebs.

The fact that the guy didn't send pics of the quarter panel doesn't prove it wasn't damaged. Assuming for the sake of argument that it was, he may be P.O.-ed by the request for proof, feeling that it adds insult to injury. It may well be that he decided he didn't get enough for it, but there is NO proof of that, only your suspicion.

Just saying.
Old November 28th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Aloha, Tony

I have recieved items that were clearly not the same ones that were advertised.

Luckily the seller was willing to refund part of my money.

I always use Paypal via a credit card so you can have more options to get refunds.

Ebay seems unwilling to take sides on disputes, Paypal and Visa will usually issue a refund once you explain the situation.
Old November 28th, 2011, 06:51 AM
delete

Originally Posted by 68442CONVERTCO
Ebay seems unwilling to take sides on disputes, Paypal and Visa will usually issue a refund once you explain the situation.
PayPal is EBay. EBay owns them.

Doesn't this guy have any friends to puit a shill bid on for him?
Old November 28th, 2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by droptopron
PayPal is EBay. EBay owns them.

Doesn't this guy have any friends to puit a shill bid on for him?
i was thinking the same thing
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:04 AM

why not....

put that little notification thinggy when the seller puts more stuff up for sale??? see if he lists it again, then maybe you could do something with ebay,, I do believe both are contractually obligated to complete the deal, they won't sue but they could disable his account.... just sayin,
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
put that little notification thinggy when the seller puts more stuff up for sale??? see if he lists it again, then maybe you could do something with ebay,, I do believe both are contractually obligated to complete the deal, they won't sue but they could disable his account.... just sayin,
I was thinking the saame thing . But all he would have to say it is a new one
you are welcome to bid on it again .
Old November 28th, 2011, 11:12 AM

Wow can you believe this just 40 miles from Racine workinggirl opened a new ebay account and put a nos elcamino quarter on. Is it the same picture used by oldsfreddy. Its just the principle of following thru. http://www.ebay.com/itm/El-Camino-NO...item4ab12c109f
Old November 28th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

This thing happened to me too about 3 years ago. I 'won' an auction for a complete power seat motor assembly/track/switch. For the ridiculous low price of around 40 bucks - too good to be true! The next day before I can pay, he sends an ebay yellow button message that his garage got broke into during the night and the part I bought got stolen. Seems that was all the thief took. Must have been a connosieur of parts... What can I do? Nuthin! So the transaction got cancelled. Maybe it happened, maybe it didn't. I have no way to prove or disprove. So this stuff is not isolated. FWIW, 99.999% of the stuff I've bought from ebay has been no problem - except the high cost of shipping; can you spell ripoff?
Old November 28th, 2011, 01:13 PM
71 cutlass convertible

On the flip side I bought a hood off of e-bay for $1.00. Just a regular hood but in good shape with no rust. He wanted out of the garage and was hoping somebody would take it. Also it cost me about $70 bucks to go get it. The hood is on my car in my avatar.

Larry
Old November 28th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSRALLYE350
Wow can you believe this just 40 miles from Racine workinggirl opened a new ebay account and put a nos elcamino quarter on. Is it the same picture used by oldsfreddy. Its just the principle of following thru. http://www.ebay.com/itm/El-Camino-NO...item4ab12c109f
And workinggirl has no feed back - I too think this is a bummer, yes he/she offered money back but come on its like someone selling anything to one of us and then the second in line offers more - its wrong to take back the sale to the first person - sure it stinks but....
Old November 28th, 2011, 02:00 PM

not the same part second seller has two and are tagged different and are in better shape
Old November 28th, 2011, 02:34 PM

All I'm saying that the guy gave his money back he could of 1) keep the money and you got nothing 2) Send the damage quarters. As far as pictures REALLY come on what are we in preschool guys come on!!!
The fact is, what the seller commited was the same as a bait and switch. When you bid at an auction you MUST pay for the item. If you have to back out they will DEMAND a reason and proof of your claim. As mentioned in other posts, E-Bay warns the buyer that a bid is a "contract", and the same should be for the seller. On the couple of tranactions I have had to dispute on E-Bay, I have come to learn that the refund can (and often does) take up to 45 days. That's 45 days you have neither your money or your quarter panel. Also, if you track the seller, more often than not in cases like this (Good buy on no reserve) the seller will relist the item in less than 45 days. I think the picture demand was a great idea to make sure the seller is being honest.....which it appears he is not......or to warn other Olds guys that this is a bad egg.
Old November 28th, 2011, 03:47 PM

Hey Guys.......great responses.

Ebay refunds....Bayou, it used to be that way but now Ebay has cleaned up it's act. I bought a 71-72 GTO hood from a guy over the summer but it was pickup only. When I contacted the guy he didn't want anyone coming to his house because he was afraid of getting robbed. So he willingly decided to deliver it to me. After that I could never get in touch with him and he never delivered it, although he claimed to have driven 3 hours to near my house but never called when he was in the area. Guess I was supposed to read his mind, or he was full of dog do-do. It was the latter. Anyway, after a month of him not returning calls or emails I filed a claim with Ebay. I had my money back into my Paypal account within 3 days. So they have gotten better.

Rallye Kid..........I respectfully think you're missing the point. Say I had an original Rally 350 car for sale in decent shape....say worth an honest $15K. And I listed it on Ebay with a starting bid of $100 with no reserve. Say you're the only bidder and you win the car for $100. I'm betting you'd be pretty stoked you got such a good deal. So you send me the $100 via Paypal right after the auction and you're thinking all night about what an incredible deal you just got......almost unbelieveable. You just won an original Rallye 350 for $100!!!!! Then the next day I send you an email saying I can't sell you the car because the garbage truck totally demolished the car out in front of my house this morning. Sorry about that dude, here's your $100 back and have a great day. Are you really telling me you'd be fine with that explanation and let it go???? You wouldn't want any proof that the car was destroyed even though you know I'm probably lying because it sold for WAY less than I expected it to and now I'm pissed? You'd really let me make a fool out of you because I screwed up by not putting a reserve price on it?? YOU wouldn't ask for a simple pic....something that nowadays takes what....15 seconds to do? It's not the quarter panel.....my El Camino already has NOS quarters on it......it's the principal of the thing. If I didn't ask for a pic then Chucklehead Oldsfreddy would be sitting up there in Wisconsin laughing his butt off because he just told me his dog ate the build sheet and I believed him. Like I said.......principal.....if he just said "Hey Bob, I screwed up and forgot to put a reserve on this quarter and I just can't afford to sell it for $100" I would have asked him what he wanted for it and if it was reasonable I would have paid it. But when someone tries to cover his butt by making a fool out of me I tend to take offense. Is that elementary school-ish?? I really don't think so....it's more about treating people the way the way you want to be treated. Mutual respect, if you will. It's not about the $100 or the quarter. As for him not giving me my money back.....that wouldn't have happened. If I didn't receive the quarter Ebay would have refunded my money. I hope you understand what I'm saying here because this is a pretty simple "right vs wrong" morality thing. Something I would hope everyone understands and agrees with. But hey, if you still don't see my point just send me a check for $100 and I'll send my Rallye 350 right out to you via enclosed transport.....and I'll pay the freight. Seriously, Rallye.....there are no wrong opinions and I don't mean to single you out......but I'm of the opinion that this is a pretty basic fundamental right/wrong issue I'm describing here. Unless of course...........you're "oldsfreddy"!!!!!!! Where do you live again???

take care,
bob
Old November 28th, 2011, 04:35 PM

Yes, it is the lying excuses part of it that really pulls some strings.
Reminds me of all the dumb excuses I used to get from new dates, right before I would go to meet them. How about telling the truth about there are incompatibilities?
I do not miss dating.
Old November 28th, 2011, 06:12 PM

Buyer Beware... oldsfreddy

I haven't experienced any bad problems dealing with people on evil-bay as of yet but I am always on guard.

I had one concern last year and it was taken care of within 6 weeks. (The seller died.) Damn! I hate when that happens!

bobb: Thanks for posting this.
Old November 28th, 2011, 06:59 PM

I got screwed a long time ago on ebay buying some parts for the 442. Ebay was so bad back then I lost all the money , wasn't a ton but back then it felt that way - 200 bucks. I went another 5 years or so before I bought anything again off of it - prbably missed a ton of W parts for cheap over those years
Old November 28th, 2011, 07:10 PM

Jaybird.........you bring up a good point. I didn't start this post to in any way bash Ebay. I've got over a thousand transactions on Ebay over the years and I can count the bad eggs on one hand. It doesn't matter if you use Ebay, Craigslist, etc, etc.....there will always be a few people out there looking to take advantage of you or do you wrong. And truthfully there's usually not much you can do about it. When I spoke to the Ebay rep on the phone he was of the opinion that the seller would be punished for this by still having to pay the listing fee for the quarter panel. I couldn't make him understand that paying the $10 listing fee so he could potentially make hundreds of dollars more by not selling it to me wasn't much of a punishment. But that's how it goes. So it's water under the bridge......and hopefully y'all won't make the same mistake I did.

Have a great night,
bob
Old November 28th, 2011, 07:24 PM

Hey Guys.......great responses.

Ebay refunds....Bayou, it used to be that way but now Ebay has cleaned up it's act. I bought a 71-72 GTO hood from a guy over the summer but it was pickup only. When I contacted the guy he didn't want anyone coming to his house because he was afraid of getting robbed. So he willingly decided to deliver it to me. After that I could never get in touch with him and he never delivered it, although he claimed to have driven 3 hours to near my house but never called when he was in the area. Guess I was supposed to read his mind, or he was full of dog do-do. It was the latter. Anyway, after a month of him not returning calls or emails I filed a claim with Ebay. I had my money back into my Paypal account within 3 days. So they have gotten better.

Rallye Kid..........I respectfully think you're missing the point. Say I had an original Rally 350 car for sale in decent shape....say worth an honest $15K. And I listed it on Ebay with a starting bid of $100 with no reserve. Say you're the only bidder and you win the car for $100. I'm betting you'd be pretty stoked you got such a good deal. So you send me the $100 via Paypal right after the auction and you're thinking all night about what an incredible deal you just got......almost unbelieveable. You just won an original Rallye 350 for $100!!!!! Then the next day I send you an email saying I can't sell you the car because the garbage truck totally demolished the car out in front of my house this morning. Sorry about that dude, here's your $100 back and have a great day. Are you really telling me you'd be fine with that explanation and let it go???? You wouldn't want any proof that the car was destroyed even though you know I'm probably lying because it sold for WAY less than I expected it to and now I'm pissed? You'd really let me make a fool out of you because I screwed up by not putting a reserve price on it?? YOU wouldn't ask for a simple pic....something that nowadays takes what....15 seconds to do? It's not the quarter panel.....my El Camino already has NOS quarters on it......it's the principal of the thing. If I didn't ask for a pic then Chucklehead Oldsfreddy would be sitting up there in Wisconsin laughing his butt off because he just told me his dog ate the build sheet and I believed him. Like I said.......principal.....if he just said "Hey Bob, I screwed up and forgot to put a reserve on this quarter and I just can't afford to sell it for $100" I would have asked him what he wanted for it and if it was reasonable I would have paid it. But when someone tries to cover his butt by making a fool out of me I tend to take offense. Is that elementary school-ish?? I really don't think so....it's more about treating people the way the way you want to be treated. Mutual respect, if you will. It's not about the $100 or the quarter. As for him not giving me my money back.....that wouldn't have happened. If I didn't receive the quarter Ebay would have refunded my money. I hope you understand what I'm saying here because this is a pretty simple "right vs wrong" morality thing. Something I would hope everyone understands and agrees with. But hey, if you still don't see my point just send me a check for $100 and I'll send my Rallye 350 right out to you via enclosed transport.....and I'll pay the freight. Seriously, Rallye.....there are no wrong opinions and I don't mean to single you out......but I'm of the opinion that this is a pretty basic fundamental right/wrong issue I'm describing here. Unless of course...........you're "oldsfreddy"!!!!!!! Where do you live again???

take care,
bob
Bob I guess I see you point it's the principle of the matter.Also I don't need a Rallye 350. I have a post,bench,4spd with original 40k already. Also I'm from Chicago. Take care
Old November 28th, 2011, 10:06 PM

Just FYI.....some super cool Ebayer just emailed me to let me know that "oldsfreddy" also has another account on Ebay that goes by the username "fastfreddy".

regards,
bob
Old November 29th, 2011, 05:26 AM
72 Olds CS

I guess you could say thats OK I still want the quarter !!!!

then see what happens
Old November 29th, 2011, 03:33 PM

Retro......I had thought of that, but after the "my wife ran it over" story I figured he' just come up with another lie if I asked him to ship it anyway. I'm a bit surprised he didn't find some pics online of crumpled quarters and Photoshop it into a pic. But that would be way too much work for someone like him. I also thought of telling him I had a friend who lives near Racine who was going to pick it up anyway....but there would have been another story as to why that wouldn't be possible. But I get your point....it is fun to watch them squirm a bit. )

take care,
bob
Old November 29th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Lance

Just FYI.....some super cool Ebayer just emailed me to let me know that "oldsfreddy" also has another account on Ebay that goes by the username "fastfreddy".

regards,
bob
Bob, are you sure that name for the other account isn't "fast one freddy"

Thanks for the heads-up, as I seem to find these people too.
Old November 30th, 2011, 04:01 AM

Hi Guys,

Yeah Rocket.....I hear ya! Turns out "fastfreddy/oldsfreddy" is really named Frederick Echeverria. So if anyone actually knows ol' Freddy feel free to flip him the bird for me.

Thanks guys,
bob
Old November 30th, 2011, 07:06 AM
"me somebody" site member

Hi Guys,

Yeah Rocket.....I hear ya! Turns out "fastfreddy/oldsfreddy" is really named Frederick Echeverria. So if anyone actually knows ol' Freddy feel free to flip him the bird for me.

Thanks guys,
bob
One seems to live in WI and the other in MI. Just saying.
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:37 PM

Aliens....Wow!....good catch! So my bad folks...I should have done a minute's worth of research before I believed what that fellow Ebay'er told me. Looks like "oldsfreddy" and "fastfreddy" are NOT the same person, as "oldsfreddy" is in WI and "fastfreddy" is in MI.

My sincerest appologies to "fastfreddy". And a big THANKS to Aliens for catching it.

take care,
bob
Old December 1st, 2011, 03:33 AM

Not to be confused with 'oldsfreak' who I recently bought from and felt well taken care of.

Too bad about Bob's experience, I'd be suspicious about the seller too. No easy answer to prevent this other than eBay banning sellers who do this more than once.
Old December 1st, 2011, 04:07 AM

I think someone needs to go by oldsfreddy's house and run over a quarter panel!
Old December 1st, 2011, 06:05 AM
No it's not a parts car!!

It could of happened , I once almost ran over my wife in the driveway but she kept getting out of the way
Old December 1st, 2011, 07:28 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

803 views. This thread is doing its job just fine so far.
Old December 4th, 2011, 01:01 PM

I've met this guy before. Big wheeler dealer my dad trusts him I've never had much experience with him though. Buys stuff from my dad from time to time.

Quick Reply: EBAY WARNING - BEWARE oldsfreddy