Convertible roof rail adjustment 69 442

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2012, 03:29 AM
69 442 convertible

Convertible roof rail adjustment 69 442

I have aligned both driver and passenger door glass the best that is possible. I still have a small opening at the top front of both sides where the glass meets the roof rail seal. Is there an adjustment to lower the roof rail seal? I am talking about an approx. 3/16" gap.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 05:51 AM

I installed mine about a year ago and I don't believe those seals can be raised or lowered, they only slide front or back. Are you sure the stops are adjusted correctly?
Old September 23rd, 2012, 06:00 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

As far as I recall, there is no adjustment to the seals themselves - all adjustments should be in the glass.
The glass is VERY adjustable, though - sounds like you may need to angle the entire window backward a degree or two to make it.
Also, is the top itself properly adjusted - does the header pull down tightly enough onto the windshield?

- Eric
Old September 23rd, 2012, 04:18 PM

Are you using original door glass or reproduction glass? And, can you post a picture of the problem?

Brian
Old September 24th, 2012, 02:52 AM
69 442 convertible

Eric, The header pulls down very tight. I was able to get the drivers side glass up a bit more. Spent many hours adjusting, opening, closing door. The passenger side is still not to my satisfaction. I will try readjusting again. The problem with tilting the glass back a degree is that it doesn't line up parallel to the A pillar in front. I will get a pick this evening and post it.
Old September 24th, 2012, 03:35 AM

I had major problems with repro glass and replaced both front pcs. with factory glass. I still has repro quarter glass and had to end up with a happy medium. You can also get a bit of adjustment from the front a pillar trim with will sometimes help with the travel of the window as well as adjusting the rear quarter glass. Frameless glass on a convertible is a real "pain".
Old September 24th, 2012, 05:30 AM
69 442 convertible

How is the front A pillar trim adjusted? Also, the mechanic that installed the convertible top said that there is an adjustment on the right and left side top rails of the top. I am wondering if mine are set too high? Can someone give me the vertical dimension from the bottom of the top rail to the top inside of the door plate? Trying everything to get it right.. The rest of the car has been completely restored and ready to roll. Crusin the Coast, in MS, is only 2 weeks away.
Old September 24th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by hwalzer
How is the front A pillar trim adjusted? Also, the mechanic that installed the convertible top said that there is an adjustment on the right and left side top rails of the top. I am wondering if mine are set too high? Can someone give me the vertical dimension from the bottom of the top rail to the top inside of the door plate?
Do you have the Fisher Body Manual? Any adjustments and specifications should be in there.

If not, get it from WildAboutCars here and here.

- Eric
Old September 24th, 2012, 06:13 AM

A photo of your problem would allow me to offer more suggestions. And the question about the glass being original or aftermarket was asked for a reason. Don't start playing with any adjustments until you understand completely what each of them does or you'll have a real mess on your hands. Post a photo of the problem and also post a photo showing the complete side rail as it sits over both the front and rear glass. Take that photo from the outside and also from the inside. The inside shot can be done from the other side of the car looking inside at that rail. Also post a photo of how the top fits along the outside of the windshield header (piece above the windshield).
Old September 24th, 2012, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by hwalzer
How is the front A pillar trim adjusted? Also, the mechanic that installed the convertible top said that there is an adjustment on the right and left side top rails of the top. I am wondering if mine are set too high? Can someone give me the vertical dimension from the bottom of the top rail to the top inside of the door plate? Trying everything to get it right.. The rest of the car has been completely restored and ready to roll. Crusin the Coast, in MS, is only 2 weeks away.
There are so many variables between roof rails, front/rear window adjustments and weather strip that a measurement is not really critical. I actually drilled new holes in the a-pillers to get to my a-pillar weather stripping to a happy medium.
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:20 PM
69 442 convertible

Thanks for all the answers. The original glass is installed. I will take and post pics this evening.
Old September 24th, 2012, 04:40 PM
69 442 convertible

pics

1st series of pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
driver out.JPG (72.8 KB, 79 views)
driver inside.JPG (89.5 KB, 75 views)
driver rail.JPG (51.6 KB, 70 views)
front.JPG (72.7 KB, 69 views)
Old September 24th, 2012, 04:52 PM
69 442 convertible

2nd series

OK doctors, let's diagnose this lady. What we know.. I have tried all adjustments to the front door glass. Front and rear inner outer, up/down door stops, and lateral rear adjustments. I am missing a pass. side front stop if anyone has one for sale. The following are dims from each door to top of glass..
driver side: front 14 5/8" mid 15" rear 14 1/2"
pass side: front 14 3/4" mid 15" rear 14 3/8".

The vertical height of the inside rail weather strip to the floor is about the same on each side.. 36 1/2" at the hinge and 37 1/4" at the front.

Hope you can see what I see from the pics.
Attached Images
pass out.JPG (62.0 KB, 57 views)
pass inside.JPG (77.5 KB, 64 views)
pass rail.JPG (54.0 KB, 55 views)
Old September 24th, 2012, 05:04 PM

Any chance that the front bow on your top is aftermarket? The reason I ask is because of your latches and the way they seem to be angled. Here is a picture of the latch on a 69 442 conv I'm restoring and it sits flatter.

Did the shop install new cables along the sides of the top? The gap you have in the middle is making me wonder. The only other thing that can cause that to me would be if the side rail was down too low and the center was a low point. But with your level in place, it doesn't appear to be the issue. From what I can see I think your glass looks good. The gap between the door and quarter glass looks even and the glass also appears to be aligned with the A post. I'm thinking there's something going on with the front bow and if so, that's going to suck because the fabric is stapled to it.
Attached Images
Old September 24th, 2012, 05:27 PM
69 442 convertible

Hear ya. The top was installed before I purchased the car. No telling. Your latch does sit level compared to mine. I am going to leave it the way it is and talk with more people at the shows. Thank you for your time.