Another Oil Pressure Question

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:03 PM

I have and oil pressure issue with my newly rebuilt 1966 442. During rebuild I installed a new oil pump from Kanter. When I first started the engine everything was ok. I had oil pressure at about 60 lbs when first start up and about 40 after warm-up. About 100 miles the oil pressure started to jump up and down. I also installed a 2nd oil pressure gauge and it reads the same as the one in the car. When I first start it up it has good oil pressure of about 40 t0 50 fifty lbs for about a minute and then it start to drop down to about 15 to 20 lbs and sometimes lower. It then will jump up to about 30 t0 35 lbs and then jump down again. At idle when the car is warm the pressure is about 7 lbs. I have and NAPA oil filter installed and I am wondering if it could be the filter and its bypass valve. I sure hope it is not the oil pump relief valve. I would hate to have to remove the engine to change the oil pump. I will be changing the oil filter tomorrow and I hope this will fix my problem. I am at this time running 30 wt. non detergent oil for brake in.

John
Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:08 PM

I had the same problem in a 455 about twenty years ago and i ended up putting a new oil pump. my second pump I choose a high flow pump instead of the high preasure pump i choose the first time and it cured all that ailed me. sorry to hear about your crappy luck.
Old November 5th, 2010, 04:47 AM

Well I did more checking, tried a new oil filter and I still come up with the same results. When I first start up the car the oil pressure goes right up to about 50 lbs for about 30 to 45 seconds and then drops off to 20 to 15 lbs and even drops below 10 lbs once in a while. It must be the oil pump relief valve. The one thing I know is I bought a new pump from Kanter and it was a piece of JUNK. This will cost me the time and effort of removing the engine to install another oil pump. I will never and I repeat never buy anything from Kanter again.

John
Old November 5th, 2010, 05:29 AM

Sorry to hear about your problem, the engine does not need to come out....just jack (lift) it up off the mounts to get oil pan off and put in the new pump.
Old November 8th, 2010, 07:27 AM

A question for Oldsmaniac or anybody else?

Well I am getting a new high volume oil pump and gasket kit and I will be installing the pump this Saturday. I am planning on lifting the engine with a cherry picker. My question is the following. I think I will need to remove the transmission cross member, drive shaft so I can lower the rear part of the engine while I lift the front of the engine higher so I can get access to the pan bolts and clearance to remove the pan. Also the right rear part of the right valve cover is about and 1 inch from the heater motor and fan. I should also remove the clutch z bar, starter and disconnect the exhaust pipes from the headers, remove the upper and lower radiator hoses fan shroud and fan. Is there anything else I need to do? Thanks for any and all help.

John