72 Olds 442 OAI set up

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:34 AM

72 Olds 442 OAI set up

I have a 72 olds 442 with a 455 motor in it.My question is the previous owner in stalled the ram air kit.It has a rochchester carb 4 barrel.looking at the motor the left side,the valve cover breather is installed in the air breather but the right side has a hose connected straight to the carb.but theres a hole on the right side of the repro breather doing nothing.Then the air tube coming out of the carb connects in to a T one goes to the heat element at the end of the repro breather and the other end goes to the vacuum motor on the oia.There is no heating element in the breather because its a repro ram air.Is this connected correctly and will this work right during winter start up.Thanks.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:09 AM
Past Administrator

Well, I can't say for two reasons:

1. I am visually oriented to understanding things and can't seem to "see" what you are saying. A photo would help

2. I am not experience enough with OAI to say it would be correct even if I were to see the photo.

But, someone here will be able to help you out. Welcome to CO!
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:08 AM
Just an Olds Guy

OAI connections

Originally Posted by ELECMAN
I have a 72 olds 442 with a 455 motor in it.My question is the previous owner in stalled the ram air kit.It has a rochchester carb 4 barrel.looking at the motor the left side,the valve cover breather is installed in the air breather but the right side has a hose connected straight to the carb.but theres a hole on the right side of the repro breather doing nothing.Then the air tube coming out of the carb connects in to a T one goes to the heat element at the end of the repro breather and the other end goes to the vacuum motor on the oia.There is no heating element in the breather because its a repro ram air.Is this connected correctly and will this work right during winter start up.Thanks.
Here is a scanned image from my assembly manual. LMK if you need a bigger image, I can send it to you through normal email. This site limits the size of the image. Hope it helps you with your connection question.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
OAI connections.jpg (76.2 KB, 337 views)
Old September 25th, 2009, 04:31 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

I hope Allan's post helped ya out.
Old September 25th, 2009, 09:31 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

Hope you find the information you need. I am into earlier cars and can't help you other then to say you'll find your answers here lots of great people to help out on this site
Old September 25th, 2009, 01:07 PM

Let's try this....

Old September 25th, 2009, 10:15 PM

72 OLDS 442

THAT DIAGRAM IS VERY HELPFUL BUT SOME REASON THE CARB ON THE CAR HAS A FAT HOSE IN THE FRONT AND IT GOES TO THE DRIVERS SIDE VALVE COVER.IN THE PHOTO ITS NOT SHOWING THAT IT COMES OUT OF THE VALVE AND TO THE BREATHER MY DOESN'T DO THAT.BUT THE GUY I BOUGHT THE CAR FROM TOLD ME THAT IT ORIGINALLY HAD A 350 4 BARREL.MAY BE IT USED THE CARB FROM THERE TO PUT ON THE NEW 455 MOTOR.IM GOING TO TRY TO GET THE NUMBER OF THE CARB TOMORROW.
Old September 26th, 2009, 01:17 AM

That hole is where the PCV valve goes. The line from the PCV valve goes to the front of the carb.
I'm guessing the one on the front of the carb goes to the PCV valve in the left valve cover?

I can get you a better pic, but I'll have to scan it and post it up tomorrow.
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Just an Olds Guy

THAT DIAGRAM IS VERY HELPFUL BUT SOME REASON THE CARB ON THE CAR HAS A FAT HOSE IN THE FRONT AND IT GOES TO THE DRIVERS SIDE VALVE COVER.IN THE PHOTO ITS NOT SHOWING THAT IT COMES OUT OF THE VALVE AND TO THE BREATHER MY DOESN'T DO THAT.BUT THE GUY I BOUGHT THE CAR FROM TOLD ME THAT IT ORIGINALLY HAD A 350 4 BARREL.MAY BE IT USED THE CARB FROM THERE TO PUT ON THE NEW 455 MOTOR.IM GOING TO TRY TO GET THE NUMBER OF THE CARB TOMORROW.
The rochester carb number for a 72 350 is 7042250
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Supersize

Originally Posted by svnt442
Let's try this....
How did you get the image to "supersize"? It's the same one I posted as a thumbnail. (I didn't want to say that yours is bigger than mine.....picture I mean) I've wanted to be able to do this for quite some time, but don't know how. Can you explain it is simple terms? If it's more convenient to PM me to do it, that's fine. Thanks in advance
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Easy. Once you have the image uploaded as an attachment right click on the link, properties, highlight the link, copy, then in the message window you can insert image or just do [img] then paste your link and then [/img]. Easy.
Old September 26th, 2009, 12:37 PM

Wanta say that r-e-a-l s-l-o-w one more time fer us ole pharts
Old September 26th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Easy. Once you have the image uploaded as an attachment right click on the link, properties, highlight the link, copy, then in the message window you can insert image or just do [img] then paste your link and then [/img]. Easy.
Ok, here goes....ok, that didn't work. I'm going to go back and try one more time.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...1&d=1254008731

Last edited by Allan R; September 26th, 2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: didn't work first time
Old September 26th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

2nd time (crossing my fingers)

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...1&d=1254009213
Attached Images
25.jpg (39.2 KB, 272 views)
Old September 26th, 2009, 05:21 PM

Smile

Thanks for the explanation on the supersized pics.
Old September 26th, 2009, 05:23 PM

Smile

Allan,
Is this what you were trying to do?
Old September 26th, 2009, 05:37 PM

Here are the pics
Attached Images
cutlass 001.jpg (84.5 KB, 259 views)
cutlass 002.jpg (37.3 KB, 236 views)
cutlass 003.jpg (62.1 KB, 243 views)
Old September 26th, 2009, 05:42 PM

When looking at the front of the carb the fat black hose connects to the drivers side vavle cover and in the next pic it shows the thin black hose on the bottom of the carb which has suction when you step on the gas closes the flap on the ram air there is a T in between the thin black vaccum hose on goes to the flap of the ram air and the other goes ot the heat element on the breather.Its not connected the way the oia shows the carb number is 7042251
Old September 26th, 2009, 06:05 PM

This is how the PCV is hooked up stock.

This is the ported vacuum source on the carb for the distributor.

Not sure what this pic is for.

Last edited by svnt442; September 26th, 2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old September 26th, 2009, 06:44 PM

The bottom pic shows on the bottom right that thin black hose connects to a T that connects to the ram air flap and the other side to the heat element.Thats not what shows in ALLAN R pic I wanted to know the correct way to hook it up right.Thanks
Old September 26th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Cameo White
Allan,
Is this what you were trying to do?
Yes, yes yes yes....!!!! Damn, it's exciting to see that someone else can follow instructions that I can't. What did I do wrong??
Old September 28th, 2009, 06:26 PM

Smile

I'm not quite sure, since I am using a mac at home and was futzing a bit to see if I could make the instructions work.

I think if you just highlight the URL link and drop it in the box that pops open when you hit the little mountains picture it should work. Maybe it had the "http:" stuff in there twice?
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Past Administrator

I noticed that with OAI both valve covers have what appear to be identical vent tubes with elbows and oil vapor traps going to the air filter housing. I can't tell where the PCV valve is by the diagram but that is interesting.

Moving thread to another forum because of good content. Probably 442 forum even though that isn't accurate.
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:19 AM

I can't speak for a 1972, but in 1970 there were 2 different plumbing set ups for the OAI.

The picture here shows vent tubes on both valve covers. This is due to the fact that certain models have the PCV valve located on the intake manifold. I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) that 4 speed cars had the dual breather/PCV on the intake set up, and automatic cars had the one vent tube on the passenger side valve cover and the PCV on the drivers side valve cover.

This is on 455 cars, not sure about 350s.

PS - my 70 has the one breather set up.
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:13 PM

Ok I got you but my heat element is not connected at the end of the breather where the hose comes out of the carb I have a T connected one end goes to the OIA and the other is capped off.I dont have the heating element that is in the air cleaner.how would I connect it to the T thats capped off.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:49 AM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by Allan R

{img} https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9260&stc=1&d=125400921 3{/img}

except use ( ) instead of { }