72 442 questions

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2012, 05:50 PM

72 442 questions

Ok let me start by saying i am new here. I have a few question i would like you run past all of you as i believe many of you may have the answers i am looking for. What i am dealing with is what i believe to be a true 72 442. I am asking if these options could be a true 442 and were i would locate a build sheet for this car. It is a darker green with white stripes and a vinyl roof. It came factory with a 350 auto on column which has been replaced to a 455 by my dad when he was younger. It has non-power drums all around, with the boxed rear arms, swaybars front and rear, non-cutout bumper, bench seat up front. This is my future project and driver as of now. Im unsure exactly what to do with this car but i am leaning toward a resto-mod style build or building it back stock and buying another plain cutlass to build as a 442 clone resto-mod. I want something streetable and driver friendly more like modern cars and decent on gas. Im considering an ls swap in the future, 4 wheel disc, and many other things. If this is a true 442 is it worth resto-modding or should i restore stock??? I love these cars and I know what i want but is it worth it on this car??? Regardless i will build what I want whether its this car or another i just want some opinions. Ill post pics when i can. Thanks in advance
Old November 29th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Olds Nut

build it as you want!!! its your car! Do not worry what somebody else thinks. Plus i bet you will never sell....plz post pix
Old November 29th, 2012, 06:08 PM

At this point I'd say do with it what you want. Non matching engine and a 350 to begin with so it would not be worth top value anyway, even if you could find the original engine. Some folks would look at it as being more desirable since your dad dropped a 455 in it. It would make a great cruiser either way though so just enjoy it.
Old November 29th, 2012, 06:25 PM

the only pic i got here right now and I hope posts on here. Just one a friend took when i was driving down interstate at 75. It looks way better in person now that its cleaned up and waxed. This car sat 4 16 years before this pic. But so you can get an idea.
Old November 30th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Administrator

As the others have said, the only one you need to please is you. Post up some pic's.
Old November 30th, 2012, 10:16 AM

I think the OP raises a valid point - is the pedigree such that he should consider modifying another car to his satisfaction? Rather than poo-pooh is concern, it's something that every collector should think about.

That being said, as he doesn't have any docs proving it's really a 4-4-2, he has less on the line. But what if it was a real 4-4-2? I think for a 350 car equipped as it is, it's still a car that probably won't be a big loss if he does what he wants. :twocents:
Old November 30th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Diego
I think the OP raises a valid point - is the pedigree such that he should consider modifying another car to his satisfaction? Rather than poo-pooh is concern, it's something that every collector should think about.

That being said, as he doesn't have any docs proving it's really a 4-4-2, he has less on the line. But what if it was a real 4-4-2? I think for a 350 car equipped as it is, it's still a car that probably won't be a big loss if he does what he wants. :twocents:

It came factory with a 350 auto on column which has been replaced to a 455 by my dad when he was younger. It has non-power drums all around, with the boxed rear arms, swaybars front and rear, non-cutout bumper, bench up front. This is my future project and driver as of now. Im unsure exactly what to do with this car but i am leaning toward a resto-mod style build or building it back stock and buying another plain cutlass to build as a 442 clone resto-mod. I want something streetable and driver friendly more like modern cars and decent on gas. Im considering an ls swap in the future 4 wheel disc, and many other things. If this is a true 442 is it worth resto-modding or should i restore stock??? I love these cars and I know what i want but is it worth it on this car??? Regardless i will build what I want whether its this car or another i just want some opinions.

The car has already been modified as per the OP's op. It has a 455 in it currently. The questions are a conflict of terms based on the info given.

I believe it started life as a Cutlass and therefore a blank slate to do as he wishes. My .02.

Last edited by oldcutlass; November 30th, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old November 30th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Let's be serious here. The car sounds like a bottom-feeder Cutlass (bench seat, 4 wheel drums) with the bare minimum W-29 package (grilles, emblems, and suspension). In the hierarchy of 442s, this one isn't near the top (OK, at least it's not a V6 car from later years). Do what you want.
Old November 30th, 2012, 04:39 PM

I agree. Do with it as you please. It's your car. I fixed mine up my way and left it a Cutlass. It's just as fast, handles great, etc. as it would be with the 442 badges. Oh, and it's just as fun to drive
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:05 AM
Administrator

OOOOOh yeaaaaaaaaaaaah, the fun factor is where it's at, lol!!!!