72' 442 opions package?

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2011, 01:57 AM

72' 442 opions package?

I want to clone a 72'442 .My car is a factory BBO,bucket seat ,auto trans.I'd like direction on where exactly to search for info on what the W-29 {I think thats the code}opions were,for my 72.I'ts a holiday ,cutlass S,model.I'm cloning the car so exact correctness is'nt a big deal to me.Just direct me to a section of the site where i could find such facts.Hey,after all,who else are you gonna ask?Thanks for all your help so far.I'm fired up on my project right now..that means i have some money for parts!Later on,BO
Old July 25th, 2011, 04:24 AM

Boxed rear control arms and sway bar, unique grilles, 442 emblems, thin double pinstripes on the sides, hood ridges and lower decklid edge. That's pretty much it for the W-29 package in 1972. Everything else was an option that could be had on just about any other 2 door Cutlass.

If you're talking about the same car in your avatar, it looks like your car is a Supreme hardtop. No W-29s were made in that body style from 70-72, so your clone will be more of a "phantom" car that was never built. Supremes do look good with the grilles/emblems/stripes if done right. You'll want to remove the thin side stainless and the lower stainless rocker moldings too.

Terry
Old July 25th, 2011, 01:37 PM

Thanks,yes my car has the sqared qtr. panel.So what is my specific model?I,m disapointed,i just found out the 71'was the last 442 model,and now this!Still the best dang car i ever owned...so its a good thing.Would you happen to know if there was another opion code that designated 442 package.I'll search the olds faq too.See if i can find some pictures too.Thanks again,BO
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BosMobile
Would you happen to know if there was another opion code that designated 442 package.I'll search the olds faq too.See if i can find some pictures too.Thanks again,BO
Not sure exactly what your question is, but you have a Cutlass Supreme Holiday Coupe. This body style was only used on the Cutlass Supreme. The 442 was never built with the notchback roof. On the other hand, the 1972 Hurst/Olds DID use the Supreme body...
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:50 PM

hanks,thats what i thought.It had an S on the side of the roof when i got it.When i removed the add on vinyl top i removed the emblems.So what is the opion number for the ,442 package ,like the hood,grilles ,emblems on the 72 model.I,ve seen quite a few of them,are these cloned cars?I,ll research some more I know its on here .WIKI ,i'm guessing.Thanks ,BO
Old July 25th, 2011, 09:02 PM

This thread started at just the right time. I too have a 72 but I have a convertible. I've deceided to spend the money and have it cloned to a 442. I want a very correct clone. I would like to be sure that the car would have came that way when it was ordered. Like 442vette mentioned that the lower rocker mouldings should be removed. Right now she is a matching numbers survivor with a 350 4 bbl and 350 trans. I know that the 442 in 72 was an appearance option but I would like specifics . These are the kind of details I'm interested in. If any of you experts could give me correct info I would appreciate it. Here are a couple of pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0785.jpg (68.1 KB, 17 views)
100_0775.jpg (71.4 KB, 18 views)
100_0777.jpg (57.6 KB, 19 views)
Old July 25th, 2011, 09:57 PM

Hey,theres some info on the WIKI site on this forum.I'm still looking .Seems that i have a strange combination of opions on my car,so i'm gonna get the VIN number tommorow,then go from there.This is the good news,the guys on this site know whats up!Good news for us,I've learned alot today,just searching around.Good luck on your project,your in the right place,later,BO
Old July 26th, 2011, 05:25 AM

Do some searches on this site with 72 442 clone W29.
There was lots of deep past discussion on this subject.
I bought mine as a clone, but it was a half-butt clone. I am in the process of making it a bit closer.
Gotta remember the 'Oldsmobile' hood script!
Old July 26th, 2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Gotta remember the 'Oldsmobile' hood script!
Hey Rob, hope all's well,

Was it the same as the fender script?

I really wanted to make mine a 4-4-2 clone too, but in the end, i've decided to keep it as cutlass 'S' and just maybe eventually throw on some grills from the 4-4-2, just because they're sexy.

Not to mention my hood is scrap and i really should start looking for a new one. To OAI or not to OAI :P
Old July 26th, 2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'

I really wanted to make mine a 4-4-2 clone too, but in the end, i've decided to keep it as cutlass 'S' ... :P
Hooray! Always nice to hear this for a change. As much as i love these cars and how people modify them for their own personal tastes, it's almost a shame so many real nice original Cutlass's, S's and Supremes/Convertibles get the muscle car treatment, i.e. toss the solid-as-a-rock 350 for a 455, ram air hood, W-30 or W-29 stripes, spoiler, etc.
Old July 26th, 2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Hey Rob, hope all's well,
Was it the same as the fender script?
I have about had it with this stupid heat we are having - was 108.7 at my place yesterday - might as well forget about doing any resto work when i get home for the next month...

I think the hood script was unique, but cannot say for sure. The assy manual will have the answer...
Old July 26th, 2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by 72 w29 all green
Hooray! Always nice to hear this for a change. As much as i love these cars and how people modify them for their own personal tastes, it's almost a shame so many real nice original Cutlass's, S's and Supremes/Convertibles get the muscle car treatment, i.e. toss the solid-as-a-rock 350 for a 455, ram air hood, W-30 or W-29 stripes, spoiler, etc.
Thanks Joe! Glad to see i have some supporters! I'm pretty proud of the 'S' Script on my fender.

In terms of what i'm doing on the car, i'm doing the interior right now (dark saddle split bench with dark saddle carpet)

I'm also working on beefing up the front suspension.

If i can read these technical drawings well enough and get a really nice hood, i'm definitely gonna put some stripes on it and really touch it up. I bought some paint guns over the Christmas holidays and can't wait to use em' (my car is currently on primer) But i'm also gonna keep the colour stock as Bamboo Yellow.

I'm hoping my car will be one-of-a-kind in the end!

Cheers,

Tony
Old July 26th, 2011, 06:06 PM

Hey, Not Everyone is swithing out their Cutlass to 442 clones. I have a 71 Cutlass Supreme and am proud that its a 350-350 car.I'm planning on restoring her , but with options that I wish she had; bucket seats & console, power windows, and adding that sweet 71-72 442 grills w/o the 442....sorry just had to chime in...
Old July 26th, 2011, 06:21 PM

I added the 455, t-400, suspension, etc etc etc, ram air hood, and spoiler on my 72 to my taste. However, it is still a Cutlass as should be. Been there done that before with cheby clones.
I also don't have to answer the questions all the time. On that note, I think that there are more SS Chevelle's at shows and around town, than were ever made! Let alone the ones that didn't make it this long.
Old July 26th, 2011, 07:20 PM

Hey! I,m glad thiers so much enthusium for the factory opions.I feel the same way.My car came with 455,bucket seats,console,power brakes,auto,2.56 gear.What i like to call"***** red".I've owned this car for 25 years.There are very few bolts on this car that i have'nt had a wrench on .I'm a gearhead,i like oldsmobiles,i like olds engines,i like anything with OLDS on it !I'd like to enjoy my car,that means making improvements "i like"Don't be downing other hot-rod guys because you think i should'nt make changes.If thats your case,WHY,are you making changes??? Sorry for the rant guys,later BO