72 442 build sheet.

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2011, 03:16 PM

72 442 build sheet.

Found mine under the back rug but the center is worn out. Can see all the info around the edges kinda. Very poor condition. The car is supposed to be a W29.The box's number up to 123 with all the info like harness, seat adj, and so forth. I can make out a few listed options like AK1-DLX BELT GRP, AO?-T---ED BO--GL, -51 BUCKET SEAT, B30?-FLR CARPET F R, B32?-FRT ---? Also I can make out in the 2nd column SPORT MIRROR, CONSOLE, FE_? --- PKG, Then "something" ratio, Third column totally missing except for am/fm at the edge. Has the boxed rear trailing arms and sway bar, all the correct emblems, grill, steering wheel etc. I know in 72 the 442 was an option, not a model. My question to all is...will the W29 appear as a code for the assemblers in the boxes numbered 1-123, such as box 77-TRIM with the # 947, or will it only be listed with the other options. The car was sold at Stan Grueninger Olds Inc. 10300 Springfield Pike, Woodlawn, Ohio. The VIN- 3G87J2R124046. Lot of clones out there and I want to be sure. It was in tough shape when I got her. Looked like the hood was never opened. Looked extremely original all around. Coming along nicely, though. Any help would be awesome, and if you live in Maine, I'll sticker your Olds. Thanks.
Old November 9th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rtbtms
Found mine under the back rug but the center is worn out. Can see all the info around the edges kinda. Very poor condition. The car is supposed to be a W29.The box's number up to 123 with all the info like harness, seat adj, and so forth. I can make out a few listed options like AK1-DLX BELT GRP, AO?-T---ED BO--GL, -51 BUCKET SEAT, B30?-FLR CARPET F R, B32?-FRT ---? Also I can make out in the 2nd column SPORT MIRROR, CONSOLE, FE_? --- PKG, Then "something" ratio, Third column totally missing except for am/fm at the edge. Has the boxed rear trailing arms and sway bar, all the correct emblems, grill, steering wheel etc. I know in 72 the 442 was an option, not a model. My question to all is...will the W29 appear as a code for the assemblers in the boxes numbered 1-123, such as box 77-TRIM with the # 947, or will it only be listed with the other options. The car was sold at Stan Grueninger Olds Inc. 10300 Springfield Pike, Woodlawn, Ohio. The VIN- 3G87J2R124046. Lot of clones out there and I want to be sure. It was in tough shape when I got her. Looked like the hood was never opened. Looked extremely original all around. Coming along nicely, though. Any help would be awesome, and if you live in Maine, I'll sticker your Olds. Thanks.
You have car that was built in Framingham. Lucky you - finding the build sheet. SAVE IT..I'd take it to a laminating shop and get it totally preserved as much as possible. If you found the build sheet, keep looking - you're bound to find a few broadcast sheets too.
Your VIN says its a fastback design, has the 350 J code dual exhaust motor rated at 175 hp. Your trim (947) is white and is indicated as bucket seat trim on the G87 model.
Based on the last 6 digits of your VIN, I'm guessing it was produced around Oct or Nov of 71.

The part where you can make out the FE? is the FE2 handling package that 442's got. It's the rear sway bar, boxed control arms and rear braces + a 1" stabilizer up front.

The W29 may not appear where you think. It should be in the middle section where all the options were listed. The W29 Option will be listed on any broadcast sheet you might find for the car though.

Can you post a pic of this Build sheet?
Old November 9th, 2011, 04:33 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by Allan R
Can you post a pic of this Build sheet?
X2 You should go buy a lotto ticket
Old November 10th, 2011, 06:06 AM

Thanks. The car has been extensively dis-assembled, except rear shelf and dash. Has new quarters, floor and trunk pans, braces, inner and outer wheel houses, interior, trunk lid, I bought an OAI hood and spoiler just because they look awesome! Bumpers are new. Paint code 65 so I had it done in Hugger Orange instead and it POPS. Had him paint on correct-looking W30 stripes. Will NEVER dis-respect the W30 and badge mine. I did the upholstery and didn't find anything. Replaced the rug also. SS11 mags, new chrome, BFG tires. Found a pair of 15" to put the fatties on back. Need 2 more if anyone knows of a pair. Swapping in a 4bbl and hei as we speak off my 72 parts Cutlass. Fix the A/C will be next. I REALLY want to find a broadcast sheet. Maybe under the rear shelf. Would like to find my Protecto-Plate also. Maybe in the heater duct, eh? Is there ANY other way to get the paperwork for this car? I've heard no, due to a fire, unlike Pontiac. What say you? I'd love to post pics, but not having any luck. I'll ask the next 12 year old that walks by for some help on that.
Old November 10th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Cutlass Lover

How Cool that you found it! Teepo's is stuck up under the package tray, on the passenger side. All I have of it is a piece that was sticking down through a speaker hole into the truck, and it tore off. It's very yellowed and brittle. I'll get the rest of it when I get the package tray replaced someday.

Her broadcast card is stapled to the underneath of the back seat springs with these really strong looking staple things. I didn't even try to pry those loose. It can stay there, lol! You're really fortunate to have what you have, as they did not have to leave the build sheets in the cars when they were making them. Great find!!

Here's a pic of the piece I have of Teepo's.

buildsheet002.jpg
Old November 11th, 2011, 03:34 PM

I wouldn't expect to find the W29 code within the numbered boxes of the Build Sheet, because W29 is actually an option package, consisting of many individual components. The numbered boxes contain the codes for those individual components. I would expect to find the W29 code listed in the middle section along with all the other options, similar to how options are listed on a window sticker.

If you can't find code W29, your next step is to look for the 442-specific codes for individual components in the numbered boxes. You compare these codes with the codes you find in your Assembly Manual. (You DO have an assembly manual, don't you?) I don't have any 1972 build sheets (nor am I familiar with 1972 codes), but I'll use a 1970 Framingham build sheet as an example:

Box 27 contains the engine code.
Box 28 contains the transmission code.
Boxes 13 and 14 contain codes for front and rear springs respectively.
Boxes 15 and 16, front and rear shocks.
Box 76, rear control arms.
Box 93, tires.
Box 104, engine tune-up label.

Depending on how specific each of these items was to the W29 package in 1972, any one or more of them might serve to prove your car's 4-4-2 status. Let us know what you find!

Last edited by BlackGold; November 11th, 2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old November 11th, 2011, 04:18 PM

The protecto plate would have been given to the original owner along with the owners manual and warranty in a packet in the glove compartment. It would not be stuck anywhere else, unless a previous owner put it there.
Old November 12th, 2011, 08:25 AM

Thanks, Black Gold. Sweet ride. That's exactly what I meant, although could not put in words. I didn't expect to find W29 but like you mentioned, the boxes would help. My sheet is very difficult to read but here goes with a magnifying glass and shop-light. 11 axle-SA, (I think) 14 arms NJ NZ, 15 frt springs RI RI, 16 rear springs NK NK, 18 rear shock WE or WF? 21 stab bar RP4, 26 engine Q?. 2nd letter hard to see, but let me guess-QC 2bbl 160hp powerhouse. Oh the pain. 27 trans LA, 43 tires LFY4, 61 steering wheel 8?71. 71 for sure. Ripped right there. Looks like an 8 and maybe a 1 or maybe just the 8. The rip runs through the 1, if it is a 1. I think. (huh?) 76 is MODL 33687, 79 color. 4 items in that box-LW 65 UP 65 ST 11 and W 65. ST mean stripe? 91 emission label is SA, which is still on the car. 56 looks like wheel trim 919. 55 wheels MA-5. MA for sure, tough to see the - and 5. The top is frayed. The #4 is missing but the box has QC,(engine?) #5 transmission LA and #6 axle is half missing but the SA is good. How are those? Maybe the #14, #21, and the ST (442 stripe?) in the color box are the key. I don't have an assembly manual, but clearly need one. I have the Protecto-plate folder and owners manual, but no plate. Joking about it being in the heater, but I'm gonna check anyway. Could be a couple Quarters, Dimes, paperwork that fell in? Hmmmm? I'd like to post some pics, but my computer wants to post all of them in one shot. Family, cars, dogs. I'll figure it out. Thank you in advance. I'm new here, but you guys are pretty savy from what I've been reading, and I'm sure these codes are the key. Indiana Jones has NOTHING on you guys. (little ***-kissing can't hurt)
Old November 12th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rtbtms
I don't have an assembly manual, but clearly need one.
You can definitely buy it and the CSM (Chassis Service Manual) for your car. Or you can get them free. There is a website "Wild About Cars" that is free to join, free to share that has efiles on many brands - not just Olds. As an example here is the 1971 Assembly Manual - it is very close to identical on 99% of the components you have in 72. http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9920348356921

FYI, the 72 model year was supposed to look like the 73 model year but do to GM strike, the production was delayed. So basically all Olds did was change some cosmetics from 71 to 72 and the models stayed virtually the same. WAB does have the CSM in its entirety, plus the Inspection Guide. This is just one resource available; there is more literature available as hard copy and software.
I really doubt you'll find the protecto plate down the heater - it's too big to fall down there, but you might find some broadcast sheets in other places.
Old November 12th, 2011, 10:27 AM

I found my assembly manual. A bit confusing trying to locate the build sheet code definitions. (Not option code defs.) Any help? I see paint code 11 is just white, but does indicate a stripe. The old hood and a rear quarter piece I saved have the correct stripes, as did the rest of the car, and blacked out hood grills. Has inside hood lock also. Cutlass emblem on glove box door. Car was stripped to bare metal and no fill holes from other emblems were present on fenders or trunk. Still not case closed. Did I read somewhere that FE2 was only available on 442's?
Old November 12th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Just an Olds Guy

FE2 was part of the W-29 Appearance and handling package for 442s in 72. FE2 includes rear sway bar, boxed control arms, control arm to body bracing and a heavier front stablizer bar. Not 100% sure, but I believe you could order that handling package with any Cutlass model in 72 without upgrading to the W29 package.

The W29 package also included the appearance hood striping, 442 grills and side stripes. It did not automatically include the W25 hood. The glovebox badging in 72 would never have 442 on it. It would only be Cutlass or Cutlass Supreme. Your hood should have the 'faux' louvers as part of the appearance group, and there wouldn't be rocker moldings AFAIK.