70 W-30 current condition value.

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2021, 07:14 PM

70 W-30 current condition value.

I am currently looking at buying this 70 W-30. What does the Oldsmobile Community think this car is worth in its present condition? What would the average Oldsmobile enthusiast pay for this car? Please view the following pictures. Thanks

It takes a good picture. Roof has about five to six ripple dents. Pretty major dents. Rust around back glass. Non original wheels.

Both quarter panels are rusted.

Fender rust is really bad. Drivers door rust is bad. Driver door hinges are shot door hangs down.

Non original 455 and missing ram air hood and breather asst. This 455 has the B heads. Red inner fender wells are faded really bad.

The only thing that screams I’m a W car is the OW transmission.

Non original open rear axle.

Interior has non original to this car white bucket seats. Radio slide bar is broken off. Rear lower back seat cushion is non original. Does have rally pac. While driving the brake pedal goes to the floor.

Cool tag has dash dash for the color. Can anyone explain that? Thanks. Who knows what color this car should be. It’s part Sebring Yellow and Red. Seems like the passenger door and deck lid were removed from another car and installed on this one.

None of the original a/c parts are installed. Also has a large hole in the a/c box. Has the hood pin brackets for ram air locks.

Passenger door does not open from inside. Passenger fender badly rusted. Sport mirror missing from the passenger door. Mirror mounting holes are non existent.
Old October 18th, 2021, 07:21 PM
W30

Probably 30k....if it's a w30 and the owner knows it.
You'll spend 30k easy restoring it. And not having original hood.
buy my car for 65k...lol
Old October 18th, 2021, 07:33 PM

This will get a lot of replies, easy one is the -- special order paint, rally red, nugget gold and sebring yellow are the ones that come to mind. Car is missing some major W30 key components so would price it as a standard 442 with the big plus of the OW transmission. With that amount of body rust I would inspect the frame.
Old October 18th, 2021, 08:03 PM
Banned

Thirty grand sounds very high to me. Very high. Non original motor and accessories will be pricey to replace. Let alone the hood and outside air air cleaner etc. If it has a rusty rear window and rusty quarters that is not good. Those rusty windows can be a huge project. Huge sign of more to come also. I would guess rust in the trunk and rear quarters as well. Did the seller give you a clue about price? Dash marks on the special order colors is fairly common.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; October 18th, 2021 at 08:38 PM.
Old October 18th, 2021, 08:09 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

on the dash dash color i would guess sebring yellow as the drivers door mirror and the inside of hood fender colors look original.
as far as value not sure from pics but i would offer 10k -15k
Old October 18th, 2021, 08:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lunaboy
on the dash dash color i would guess sebring yellow as the drivers door mirror and the inside of hood fender colors look original.
as far as value not sure from pics but i would offer 10k -15k
10-15 sounds much more reasonable. Especially if the rust issues are that bad and it sounds like they are.
It is cool to see old original worn faded red fender wells though. That and the mounting brackets still there. Maybe no passenger side mirror due to replaced door?

Where are you and the car located?

Posts like this should be in the General forum as far as I am concerned. More helpful traffic there.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; October 18th, 2021 at 08:40 PM.
Old October 18th, 2021, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by classicmuscle442
Car is missing some major W30 key components so would price it as a standard 442 with the big plus of the OW transmission.
I agree with this. There’s almost no W-30 left on that car.
Old October 18th, 2021, 09:34 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Originally Posted by fun71
i agree with this. There’s almost no w-30 left on that car.

x2
Old October 18th, 2021, 09:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fun71
I agree with this. There’s almost no W-30 left on that car.
Originally Posted by vCode442
x2
Funny thing is how many fake *** cars do people pay way too much for. I get auction supporters telling me to shut the blank up. Auction sites are nothing more than an uninformed couldn't care less just get us our fees bullshit anymore. I will take a beat true W car over sketchy bullshit any day. **** go buy Cobra's drivetrain.
Old October 18th, 2021, 10:31 PM

Lol, if that car is worth 30k, then so is my project 442 with a lot less rust. If it had the whole powertrain and hood, and a rusty body, then I'd rebody it. If it had a good body and non original powertrain, then I'd build it up like a W-30 and call it a period correct block. But, it's neither. It's going to need more work than it will be worth. You'll spend 50k restoring it to the ****. The smart money is buy it for under 10k and part it; it's close to being toast. I think it's worth 5k myself. Dude probably wants nineteen nine for it, though.
Old October 18th, 2021, 10:38 PM
Banned

You know how this Koda. You will spend 70 plus to bring that car back. Easy. I hate to see fools with cash. Fools and their money part money with no clue. Watch this car get flipped. Dealer Dealer anyone?...
To me this car screams bring it back as an early drag car. Not many high dollar fools want to actually drive their cars though.
Old October 18th, 2021, 10:54 PM
Rocket Renegade!

I wouldn't even go near it unless I owned a full service resto shop. And even at that I'd probably lose money -- there's much to be spent replacing all the missing W-30 parts. and then there's the bodywork ... as noted above, make sure you get underneath and go over as much of the frame as you can access with a slag hammer. With that much body rust evident, there's likely to be frame rot.
Old October 19th, 2021, 06:55 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Originally Posted by Koda
The smart money is buy it for under 10k and part it; it's close to being toast.
Agreed, parts car, unless you have a shop, means, skill, and determination to bring it back. Otherwise, run from it.
Old October 19th, 2021, 08:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

The unanswered question is, does the OW trans match the VIN? If not, there's no proof. Good news is that the red inner fenders are definitely not repros. The problem is that you don't know if the whole front end was swapped before the repaint.

Originally Posted by tnswt
Agreed, parts car, unless you have a shop, means, skill, and determination to bring it back. Otherwise, run from it.
Certainly true, but that's never stopped me before.
And frankly if the OW trans does not match the VIN, there probably aren't $10K worth of parts on it. If the trans DOES match, then it's worth a resto for the right purchase price.
Old October 19th, 2021, 08:50 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

With all the rust and missing parts I don't think it is even a good parts car. Just my meager opinion.
Old October 19th, 2021, 08:56 AM

This is a $5000 car tops and that is if the OW is original to the car with broadcast card. The rally pack is not a 1970 rally pack. Missing ALL the W-30 parts other than the transmission. It is even missing all the 442 parts. No mirrors, rear end, engine, distributor, carburetor, alternator, F heads, red inner fenders are junk, hood, air cleaner.........

On a good note, I has the correct master cylinder, lol
Old October 19th, 2021, 09:19 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Looks like somebody already started parting it out.
Old October 19th, 2021, 09:54 AM

If you can buy it for less than $5,000 you can put $20,000 in it for brakes and complete paint job and have your self a $12,000 to $15,000 442 driver. Previous body work is showing in most of the pics. Another $6,000 to $8,000 for the interior and you'll have a $15,000 442 driver.
Old October 19th, 2021, 09:59 AM

With "B" heads Is it really an "F" block 455? I would guess it is a 425. Or a cobbled together engine using multi parts.
Old October 19th, 2021, 10:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by edzolz
With "B" heads Is it really an "F" block 455? I would guess it is a 425. Or a cobbled together engine using multi parts.
The whole car is cobbled.
Old October 19th, 2021, 10:41 AM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

I vote for parts car as well - there's no pedigree of substance left on this car to potentially prop its value up and to be honest, I'm soft at this point on the idea of mega-$$ investments in pedigree-savior projects whose major pieces have long disappeared or disintegrated beyond resurrection such that the pedigree isn't maintained in the end anyway.

So spending $10-15k on this car (or anything of similar stature) just as a starting point, vs. buying or building a more solid car for the same or similar $$, which in the end will reward you with a nicer car that maybe isn't a pedigree, but will be way cheaper and infinitely better in the end - I don't see the logic at this point in time.

Not to say it shouldn't be rescued IF the bones were still solid AND the price was right - but I'm seeing this a $5k car for someone whom can do most of the 'rescue' work themselves within their own shop or garage in lieu of having to seek professional restoration services for all or most of it.

I bought my 54k mi '72 ragtop for $16k 5 years ago - just a basic Supreme 350-2v with a/c and power steering - its body had been previously restored off-frame so body/chassis was essentially perfect - straight and rust-free - but all else was left essentially alone and original. Car was solid, clean and everything worked, including the factory a/c - I rebuilt the drivetrain and suspension to suit my performance tastes, new wiring harnesses and an audio upgrade - still under $30k for all and I drive it everywhere without real worries.

Last edited by 70sgeek; October 19th, 2021 at 10:51 AM.
Old October 19th, 2021, 10:56 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
If you can buy it for less than $5,000 you can put $20,000 in it for brakes and complete paint job and have your self a $12,000 to $15,000 442 driver. Previous body work is showing in most of the pics. Another $6,000 to $8,000 for the interior and you'll have a $15,000 442 driver.
... on which you have spent (by your math) $33K.

Or was that your point?
Old October 19th, 2021, 12:10 PM

"Parts car" - man you guys are rough! I don't think that determination can be made without a more detailed inspection. Yes - it has rust in the typical Cutlass locations - but that's not the end of the world.
Also as Joe pointed out the VIN on the transmission is an important piece of information that is needed to really make a determination on what the fate/price of this should be.
IMHO it looks like it could be a driver with a little work and agree it's a prime candidate for a drag car.
Old October 19th, 2021, 01:01 PM

I'm curious, how many W-30s had AC? Was that just another option on the automatic cars?
Old October 19th, 2021, 01:47 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

$10k to $15k.
Old October 19th, 2021, 02:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
... on which you have spent (by your math) $33K.

Or was that your point?
Ha ha ha. The math thru me for a loop also...🤣
Old October 19th, 2021, 02:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by v8al
"Parts car" - man you guys are rough! I don't think that determination can be made without a more detailed inspection. Yes - it has rust in the typical Cutlass locations - but that's not the end of the world.
Also as Joe pointed out the VIN on the transmission is an important piece of information that is needed to really make a determination on what the fate/price of this should be.
IMHO it looks like it could be a driver with a little work and agree it's a prime candidate for a drag car.
Couple quick points. Rust in all the places that this car has are all bad bad locations for rust. There are some very cool W items on this car. I dig that it was a W-30 in it's life. If only it could speak. To bring this car back would be unreal cash. Matching transmission only? Don't see that as the golden ticket. Cool car originally no doubt. This car? Great driver or drag car all day.
Old October 19th, 2021, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I'm curious, how many W-30s had AC? Was that just another option on the automatic cars?
Yes, in 70 and 71, the automatic W-30s had a lesser cam than the sticks, and AC was available on them.

I believe, in 72, the automatic W-30s again had a lesser cam, but it was closer, and no AC for either.
Old October 19th, 2021, 02:37 PM

X3 for drag car.
Keep or sell the OW trans and then just beat the hell out of it if the frame is still in decent shape.
But probably not happening...the seller will want W-30 prices.
A cool buy for less than 10k.
-p

I turned my Rallye into a drag car because it was WAY too far gone with a lot of important pieces missing or rusted away.
(Plus at the time, you couldn't get any money for these in great condition. I paid 2k

Old October 19th, 2021, 06:39 PM

New pictures. Same old 70.

Right rear quarter.

The deck lid and passenger door have the same red paint on the inside. Looks like from another car. Hinge bolts are missing.

Rust holes in the drivers door jamb.

The good thing. The dash is not cracked. Hey, have to see a positive some where. Needs headliner it’s falling down.

Right side inner fender well. The bolts look to have been moved.

I am Sorry, I did not put this in the General Discussion. I thought the 442 section would be appropriate.
Thanks to the Classic Oldsmobile Community.
Old October 19th, 2021, 10:08 PM

5-7k tops if the OW trans matches car. To do full resto to correct W30 not worth cost. It's perfect if you want a W30 and can build it as you want and not worry about hurting value. If you have the skills and place to repair it go for it. Check frame for issues but this car was already parted out and was probably a racecar. Now it's be reassembled to a complete car. The trans I'd not matching is worth about $1500 as a core.
Old October 20th, 2021, 08:37 AM

I believe this transmission is from another 442. Tell me my if I’m wrong? VIN #M272297 this is on the car.

Transmission tag number differs from VIN # and cowl tag numbers.
Please tell me if I’m wrong?
Any Objections to this?

If my conclusions are correct this car may not be worth $ ?????
Who’s going to buy an OW transmission for big money?

Thank You, Classic Oldsmobile
Old October 20th, 2021, 08:52 AM

Giving the car the benefit of doubt. I would guess this may have been a
W-25 car at best, if at all. On the positive Note. We do know it’s a 442.
Definitely NOT at $30,000.🤣 🤣 Haha

Back to the numbers Vin and Cowl tag do not match the transmission tag. Agreed?

Old October 20th, 2021, 09:06 AM

You have to find the VIN Stamped on side of transmission and compare it to the end of Vin. It's stamped on the left side of the transmission just above the pan. Yes someone will pay for a OW trans is they have a W car.
Old October 20th, 2021, 12:09 PM

I had a wire brush in the car. I could have looked for it. I was thinking the Vin was on the trans tag though. Sorry folks
Old October 20th, 2021, 12:41 PM

I don't think I'd pay more than 5k for this car imo.
Old October 21st, 2021, 08:18 AM

Well it's for sale online now at 25k firm. OW trans matches car.

Old October 21st, 2021, 09:15 AM
Banned

Good freaking luck. That car is stripped of damn near everything W-30. 25 grand is a lot of cash for some emblems a trans and some faded fender wells. Seller points out the tach but it isn't even correct. It does come with extra hidden rust so there is that benefit. Never know though. Fool and their money are often parted...
Old October 21st, 2021, 09:47 AM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

Good freaking luck is right - It's hard to hope someone does well on a sale when it's just as clear anyone who bought it for that price (or anything near it) will almost assuredly end up on the wrong side of the costs v. benefits equation.

Sorry, at best this car is W-30-ish (or maybe not even), and still seemingly worth a minimal fraction of the asking price for the condition (regardless of what someone may still ultimately be seduced to pay in excess thereof).... Even at that, what's left of its potential originality arguably makes it no better a car in the end than any other S model project of similar condition (but maybe for the very few extra dollars the OW trans core might be worth to someone else's more complete W-30 project.

If someone with way too much money to blow in their lifetime buys it just for something to challenge their idle hours, then maybe all for the best. But in my opinion not worth the investment for anyone else.

Last edited by 70sgeek; October 21st, 2021 at 09:51 AM.
Old October 21st, 2021, 09:57 AM
Banned

Right 👍.

Thing also is all of us old kids are becoming less and less. This generation and it's appreciation of old iron is becoming very sparce. Not one Olds knowledgeable person looks at that car as worth bringing back. Sad but true. Sell it to someone for maybe five grand so you can see it reborn. 25 thousand is an absolute pipe dream. Step away from internet stupid money.

Quick Reply: 70 W-30 current condition value.