442?

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:38 AM

442?

How do I know if my '65 F-85 is a 442 or not numbers wise? I would like some insight on what to look for on the cowl/trim tag to verify it is a true 442. It's missing some emblems on the rear and sides, but I know the guy before me damaged panels in the past, so not sure. Anyway, I would like to see a picture of someones trim/cowl tag possibly edited with a circle around what number/letters I should be looking for which will differentiate it from being a regular F-85 cutlass to a true 442. Anyone know how many F-85's were made in production in '65? What about the 442 production numbers? Are both rare? One more than the other? Very curious to see if this car that I inherited really is a 442. I hope so, because it has a 400 cid and dual exhaust with a 4 barrel carb. hmmmm. Any other tell tale signs of a 442?

A picture of one's tag would be nice. I can't get to mine for another week to take a picture of my vin, tag, and engine code. This site really needs a section dedicated to tags, numbers, ids, etc.....
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:49 AM
Trying to remember member

You're getting way ahead of yourself. If you post a pic of *your* firewall data plate it *probably* will provide the answer to your questions! There are too may "depends on....." to do it the other way around!
So far we don't even know what model you have. Just with 2-door non-convertible V8 models there are 2 Cutlass and 1 F85 models that could be 442s. All are F85 series (aka A-bodies).
Old September 2nd, 2010, 12:14 PM

442bro.com has all the info you need. When you get to the car post some pics, Id like to see what you have.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:11 PM

And if it was built in Fremont California there may not be anything on the trim tag to verify if it is or not. Yes, more information needed. John