1970-1972 W30 W25 442 info thread

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:31 PM
bil

1970-1972 W30 W25 442 info thread

I would like to get as much info as I can,and put it in a form anyone can understand,on the above cars. Things like exactly what came with each package,and what packages either did or didn't go together.Such as-details on the OAI system,and the W30s.For instance,the small vacuum hose for the snorkle flap had a white stripe on it.The springs that held the flapper assy were white.The OAI was availlable on regular 442s-the last one-I am not sure-tell me.I want to get together a data base of all details.If this has been done,tell me,as I can't find all the info in one place.Thanks. ---bil
Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:44 PM

yikes, that's a tall order, Yes the W25 hood was an option on 442s. I'm sure its been tried numerous times already to put all this in one place - I think the issue is there are always a few variations though it would be nice to get the "typical" or "standard" way one of these cars came. there is an olds FAQ on 442.com and another at www.oldsmobilewiki.com, the 442.com one is quite old it seems.

I know a bit about most years of W30s but what I have learned the most from the folks on these forums is how much I don't know, so I really stick to responding mostly to 70 W30 convertibles with an automatic as I pretty much know those inside and out - though there are still probably 20 folks who know 20% more than I do about those cars.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 03:30 PM
bil

Well,if i can get enough info together,i can get a spreadsheet type of document together,and include asterisks for variants,or unverified info.I have started this already on several W30s,and would like to expand as much as possible. You are a man after my own heart,while I once had a 70w30,it was a 4 speed conv.my 70 w30 Hardtop was an automatic,I liked it much better.A w30 conv. auto would be great.Actually any year and model is fine,but there is something about the 70 W30!
Right now I have some 65s,another favotite.Over the years I have had almost all of the Cutlass/442s except the Hurst models,and never my other favorite,a 66 of ANY type! All 64 through 72. Except for my work van,I don't have anything newer than 72. ---bil
Old September 3rd, 2010, 03:47 PM
bil

I'll start with a pic-this is the correct spring for the OAI air cleaner.Notice the tab on the valve cover for it to hook to.Spring is white.

Next pic-not a clear one,but this is on the radiator hold down,it clearly says W30 on it.Anyone have a clearer picture of an ORIGINAL sticker? Thanks. ---bil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
OAI spring 70.jpg (62.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg
w30 rad.sticker.jpg (69.3 KB, 60 views)
Old September 7th, 2010, 03:37 PM

All engines (not just W-25 or W-30) had clips on the valve covers, because they were used to secure vacuum lines, etc. What makes the W-25 clips unique is those ears on either side of the clip. Why the ears? Because that's where your OAI hold-down spring is supposed to attach -- on an ear, not in that little hole in the center. The hole was used for the plastic wire-tire used to secure the vacuum lines, etc. All of this information is in the assembly manual. No need to compile a separate database.

I'm curious, Bil: What makes you so sure that's exactly what the OAI hold-down spring is supposed to look like? How do you know it's supposed to be white and not yellow, natural, or some other color? Are you sure the ends are supposed to be round and not square? I'm not just busting your chops; if you really know the answer to these questions (ie, can provide verification), I'd like to know. Thanks.
Old September 7th, 2010, 04:32 PM
bil

You are right,it is the correct clip,but the spring is not hooked correctly.As for the white springs,I had a set I bought from the Olds dealer for my own 70 w-30,back in 78.I had a friend that worked parts there,and he told me they were making up a box of parts that were going back to GM,why I don't know.I bought a set of the springs,4 of the automatic shifter cables,NOS emblems for a 68 442 trunk,67 442 grille emblems,and some other small Olds stuff. I gave the springs to a guy that had hardware store springs on his.No,not this one. All I have seen were just like this,if anyone has other info,please let me know.
My purpose of a database is to get as much all in one spot,so someone doesn't have to look one place for trim info,another for what options went or didn't with other options,which thermostat housing is correct.That is why any and all info is welcome.
Also,if I get anything wrong,feel free to bust my chops,I don't mind. Thanks. ---bil
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:03 PM

The springs you bought in '78 might or might not be identical to what the factory installed in 1970. A lot happens to replacement parts in 8 years. GM consolidates part numbers, or even if the part numbers don't change sometimes small features of the parts themselves change -- things like the color of a spring, or the shape of its ends. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying you've got to be real careful drawing conclusions from NOS parts. The only way to know for sure is to look at unrestored, unmolested cars.
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:35 PM
bil

Good point-the shift cables I got turned out to be the same as for a Camaro of the same vintage,although from an Olds dealer. And though the springs did match up to the ones on my 70 W-30,you are right in saying they could have been replaced on that,also.I know the car had been messed with,it had a manual shift valve body in the trans when I got it-certainly not stock! That is why any corrections are welcome,and I will be looking for only original factory items.Such as the 2 intakes for 70-and what date for which intake. I would rather get it right and take a long time than rush a sloppy job.Thanks for the input. ---bil