Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

electric wiper motor installed today on the 55

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:05 PM

electric wiper motor installed today on the 55

Spent most of today installing a New Port electric wiper motor in my 55, it turned into a little hassle, this should have been a hour and a half job at most. There is one anchoring bolt that to me proved to be impossible to get started it's hidden behind the electric motor mount and is a feel only thing , with my fat body and stubby fingers getting in the way it was not going to happen. I wasted three hours and all of my patience on that one bolt! I finally ended up putting a stud in that back hole and just slipped the mount over it, I later installed a nut and washer, this allowed me to bolt the near hole with out misaligned the far hole. If you ever do this modification use a stud then add a nut and washer at the last.This probably isn't very clear if you haven't seen a New Port electric wiper before but if you do this adaption remember this thread it may save you some time and frustration....Tedd

PS everything works as it should I'm not afraid to go out if it looks like rain now....
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the post Tedd! Since I'd like to do this conversion some day, I appreciate the feed back. It sounds like your projects work out just like mine, taking 2 to 3 times longer than I think they will.

Did you use their shaft extension for the stock **** and did that work out well? I believe you said you have the factory vacuum squirters and probably retained those.
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Highwayman
Thanks for the post Tedd! Since I'd like to do this conversion some day, I appreciate the feed back. It sounds like your projects work out just like mine, taking 2 to 3 times longer than I think they will.

Did you use their shaft extension for the stock **** and did that work out well? I believe you said you have the factory vacuum squirter's and probably retained those.
I did use the stock **** adapter and it worked fine, you lose the squirter's though because that adapter replaces the button that works the squirter's. Also I found that the wire leads supplied were about a foot short to reach the stock switch so three additional wires and connectors are needed to make it work.I spliced into the fuse box on the heater location and this may or may not be a good idea, the wipers draw 6 amps so the fuse may be taxed when everything is running, time will tell. If I had to do it over again knowing what I know know it's probably a two hour job at most, and by the way the stock batwing is a very close fit but no touchie... Tedd
Old May 5th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Railroad Mike

Talking wipers

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Spent most of today installing a New Port electric wiper motor in my 55, it turned into a little hassle, this should have been a hour and a half job at most. There is one anchoring bolt that to me proved to be impossible to get started it's hidden behind the electric motor mount and is a feel only thing , with my fat body and stubby fingers getting in the way it was not going to happen. I wasted three hours and all of my patience on that one bolt! I finally ended up putting a stud in that back hole and just slipped the mount over it, I later installed a nut and washer, this allowed me to bolt the near hole with out misaligned the far hole. If you ever do this modification use a stud then add a nut and washer at the last.This probably isn't very clear if you haven't seen a New Port electric wiper before but if you do this adaption remember this thread it may save you some time and frustration....Tedd

PS everything works as it should I'm not afraid to go out if it looks like rain now....
Put mine on the other day. You're right. That one screw is a pain. I just drilled a hole above it and used a magnetic screwdriver to install it. I like your idea better (after the fact.) The only complaint is that the wipre stroke (side to side) really isn' t as long as I would like. They do work good though. Haven't mounted the switch yet. Want to use the stock **** and haven't bought the spacer. I haven't added the fuse yet. Thought I would just use a separate in-line fuse (like the aftermarket radios).

Last edited by 55miketn; May 5th, 2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: additional info.
Old May 5th, 2012, 02:30 PM

55 miketn, I didn't notice any shortness of stroke on mine,I wonder if our wiper blades are the same length? Mine travel from the bottom of the windshield to past center going both ways....Tedd
Old May 6th, 2012, 05:42 AM

Thank you guys for posting about this! This is on my to do list also. I was worried about the batwing fit. Tedd using the stud is a great idea.
Rick

Last edited by WHIPOLDS; May 6th, 2012 at 05:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Railroad Mike

Smile Stroke!

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
55 miketn, I didn't notice any shortness of stroke on mine,I wonder if our wiper blades are the same length? Mine travel from the bottom of the windshield to past center going both ways....Tedd
Mine go from center bottom to about 15 degrees past vertical. I would have thought they would go to like 30 deg. They work ok and I can see, but I would like them to have gone a little farther left. BTW. My air cleaner did hit. I am going to "modify" it. No big deal though.

Last edited by 55miketn; May 7th, 2012 at 07:49 AM. Reason: add. info.
Old July 13th, 2012, 03:08 PM
1956 holiday coupe

Wow Tedd, you where not kidding about that rear screw it's imposible to get in. I just got mine in and had to use a stud to install as well . I also feel that the wires are a tad short for the 56.BTW, I'm to cheap to buy the extension so I came up with this to install the factory **** on the new switch. I filled it with solder drilled it and retaped the set screw hole using a 8-32 tap and installed the set screw that comes with the new ****

new switch in place

filled drilled and tapped with new set screw

new **** that come with kit and old set screw

installed

Last edited by hialeah56; July 13th, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:42 AM

If the 55's are cable operated like the 57 then the cables might need adjustment. Check you shop manual for the method for you year. My 57 only when half way until adjusted
Old July 15th, 2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
If the 55's are cable operated like the 57 then the cables might need adjustment. Check you shop manual for the method for you year. My 57 only when half way until adjusted
Ya,I don't seem to be experiencing that problem and I haven't had to adjust anything to get full sweep of the wipers....Tedd
Old July 15th, 2012, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by 55miketn
Mine go from center bottom to about 15 degrees past vertical. I would have thought they would go to like 30 deg. They work ok and I can see, but I would like them to have gone a little farther left. BTW. My air cleaner did hit. I am going to "modify" it. No big deal though.
Just a thought did you have the wiper motor in the full down position before you installed the wiper blade arms? If not the blades will bottom before reaching their full stroke and they will also then be short on the top sweep...Tedd
Old July 17th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Railroad Mike

Yes, I had to adj. a couple of times because they didn't bottom out when turned off with the switch. They are ok. Guess I just expect too much. Thanks!
Old August 26th, 2012, 05:59 AM

Tedd - I installed the Newport wiper motor yesterday. All the posts were a great help. I used the stud and added some length to the wires. The result was great! Everything works as it should.
Thanks to all that posted on this topic!
Rick