Linkage adjustment issue

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2015, 01:37 AM

Linkage adjustment issue

I installed a hurst dual gate shifter into my 71 442 and have encountered a frustrating problem.
A little backround : car was originally floor shift, and the linkage was considerably off, I just put it off because I knew I would be installing the dual gate. The dual gate came from a buddy who purchased it from the parts place a year or so ago.

After install the linkage was off and I could not shift into low. I shifted the cable as far forward as I could on the trans bracket. Still no low. I took the bracket off and cut the slot another 1/4 in or so to get the cable further forward. This time I got into low but the parking prawl would not engage

This went on for several hours until I got the adjustment to the point that I could not shift into low (or 1 one the right gate) or engage the parking prawl.

So now I am just confused. The amount of movement in the shifter seems to allow me either park or low.....or neither apparently, but certainly not both.

Any Ideas?
Old April 7th, 2015, 01:17 PM

Did you change the shifter cable along with the Dual Gate shifter? The DG cable is a different length than the regular floor shifter cable.
Old April 7th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I had the same problem. The bracket needs to be cut and welded back so the slot is a little further towards the front of the car. If I remember correctly I moved mine 3/8".

Old April 7th, 2015, 01:35 PM

The cable was replaced as well and is the correct length.

As far as cutting the bracket to bring it further forward, I did that and I lost Low, so I think it was to far forward. It almost seems like there isnt enought back and forward movement to allow full engagement off all gears no matter where the adjustment is. I think I am gonna try and cut a slot up a little closer to the bracket pivot point to reduce the amount of travel the cable is required to move.

I had the trans rebuilt. Is it possible thst there is an issue with the manual valve?
Old April 7th, 2015, 03:15 PM

The valve is unlikely to be the issue. The cable operates the range selector lever inside the transmission that moves through an arc from low gear to park, via the external linkage (see images below) so the external cable adjustment must be set so that the selector lever moves through the entire range.

Last edited by Fun71; April 7th, 2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old April 7th, 2015, 03:58 PM

Sounds like you are on the right track with lever arm radius

Maybe it is time to measure the motion produced by the shifter at the trans end of the cable, and measure the linear motion required to get from P to Low, and compare. Adjust as needed by altering the arm radius at shifter and/or trans so they match.

Ideally, the lever arm will be perpendicular to the cable motion when halfway thru its travel of course.

I don't see how the cable length could affect the travel of the inner part of the cable, unless the inner core can't travel far enough before the outer sheath prevents sufficient motion.
Old June 9th, 2015, 05:14 PM

dual gate adjustment

I am having the same trouble on my 1970 442 455. I have read every thread and am not sure if anyone has found an answer. I have tried every witch way to adjust it but like everyone else l cannot get park and first at the same time. I purchased a new bracket for the trany, but did not make any difference. I have not removed the cable to measure yet probably the next step. I just purchased the car and was told it just needed adjustment. My bad. Anyone have any ideas?
Old June 9th, 2015, 09:52 PM

Yeah, I have an idea. You might have the wrong cable. You need to measure it to make sure it's the right length before anything else.

More ideas:
Mine has historically been difficult to get Park and 1st correct as a little adjustment makes a noticeable difference in going into the detent on either end.

Any slop in the shifter itself will amplify the above issue.

Last edited by Fun71; June 9th, 2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:52 AM

Ensure you have the correct bracket. There are two different brackets: one for column and one for floor. It should look like the one pictured above for floor. Also, a little adjustment of the cable on the bracket goes a long way, so you may just be missing the sweet spot. Eventually i cut a slot into the bracket so the cable could slide a little closer to the fulcrum of the bracket. This reduced the total amount of movement required to engage each gear. Be careful though, if you cut in the wrong place you may need to get a new bracket.
Old October 19th, 2015, 09:34 PM

Das can you show example?with pic

Originally Posted by Das vierundvierundzwei
Ensure you have the correct bracket. There are two different brackets: one for column and one for floor. It should look like the one pictured above for floor. Also, a little adjustment of the cable on the bracket goes a long way, so you may just be missing the sweet spot. Eventually i cut a slot into the bracket so the cable could slide a little closer to the fulcrum of the bracket. This reduced the total amount of movement required to engage each gear. Be careful though, if you cut in the wrong place you may need to get a new bracket.