Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2023, 01:29 PM

Steering Column

I have replaced the TH350 column shift transmission with a Muncie M20 4spd. So now I need to replace the steering column to suit. I am looking for some help regarding the column length. When looking at various sites on the internet, I can find columns varying in lengths from 30" to 33" for "A" body GM cars. Has anyone replaced a steering column in a "72 Supreme? If so what length did you use?
Thanks in advance,
Old January 6th, 2023, 03:38 PM
Old(s) Fart

Rather than a one-size-fits-none imported aftermarket column, why not get a 69-72 A-body column that is guaranteed to fit.
Old January 6th, 2023, 07:38 PM

There's also at least one Youtube video demonstrating how to modify a column shift housing to make it look like a floor shift housing. It's an option if you can't find the real thing.
Old January 7th, 2023, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Rather than a one-size-fits-none imported aftermarket column, why not get a 69-72 A-body column that is guaranteed to fit.
Not a lot of doner cars left around in southern Ontario that I can find. Actually my car should have been a doner. I am sure I could find a column from a Chevelle, they seem to be a dime a dozen around here. But I would like to keep it all Olds wherever possible. So if I have to go that route I will. But again I would still like to know the length for best fitment.
Old January 7th, 2023, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the tip. I will be sure to look into that. I guess all I would need to do is replace the shift lever ring and modify it to bypass the ignition switch lockout.
Old January 7th, 2023, 11:14 AM

Actually, the ignition switch lock-out is still used along with the reverse light switch on the column. Technically the auto and stick cars use different switches on the column as the stick cars only have one set of terminals for the reverse lights (clutch switch for "neutral safety"), while the auto columns have two sets of terminals (reverse lights and neutral safety switch). The backdrive linkage connects the 4 speed shifter linkage to the column to provide the key lock-out with the trans in reverse and turn on the reverse lights. Reproduction "stick" reverse light switches are made, but you can just use an auto switch and not connect the neutral safety terminals. I believe the lever at the lower end of the column under the engine bay may be shaped differently between the stick and auto cars, but the auto column will work just fine if adjusted properly with the 4 speed back drive. I have used "allmetal" filler in the past to smooth out/ fill the shifter hole after cutting off the shift lever boss. It is aluminum reinforced and does not shrink. It is what I used on the column in my Vista to smooth the shift lever and key hole:

Old January 7th, 2023, 01:03 PM

Great information! I have watched a couple of Youtube videos and it looks very doable for me. As for the safety lockout and reverse lights, I think I will be using a plunger style switch on the clutch pedal arm to work as the neutral safety. For the reverse lights I will look into the back drive linkage, but I was thinking a switch on the reverse shifter arm of the transmission??? I might have to get creative with that.
Old January 7th, 2023, 02:30 PM

68 and earlier cars used a reverse light switch mounted to the trans like this:

Once the key moved to the column with the key lock-out so did the reverse light switch. If you do not plan to use the back drive, mounting a switch to the trans is certainly an option. Both set-ups (later backdrive linkage and earlier trans mounted switches) are available through many restoration parts suppliers. If you choose not to use the back drive, you do not need to do anything to eliminate the key lock-out on the column. Simply leave the column in park. You could even screw the collar to the main tube somewhere out of sight so that it physically cannot move out of park.