260 Manual Transmission Engine

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2010, 07:22 AM

260 Manual Transmission Engine

Hey All
I drug home something out of the ordinary. It's a 260 manual transmission engine and pedal assembly that the previous owner thought came out of a 1976 Pontiac Ventura. I understand this is the Ultra Low Compression Olds engine and more desirable as a boat anchor than something to put under the hood. What I'm looking at are parts for other Olds applications. Can anybody tell me if the 260 crank was unique to this motor or used with any other engine displacement? Will the manual transmission flywheel interchange like the 350 & 455 ones do? Bellhousing and clutch are still on the engine so I've not had time to tear into it and see how it all looks. Previous owner said it had a Saginaw 3 speed hooked up to it in the Poncho. I need to verify what year/model it came out of but am thinking if it was a Ventura then the pedals and Z-bar should work in someones Omega if they wanted to convert to a manual transmission. Any confirmation on that? John
Old February 21st, 2010, 07:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Hey All
I drug home something out of the ordinary. It's a 260 manual transmission engine and pedal assembly that the previous owner thought came out of a 1976 Pontiac Ventura. I understand this is the Ultra Low Compression Olds engine and more desirable as a boat anchor than something to put under the hood. What I'm looking at are parts for other Olds applications. Can anybody tell me if the 260 crank was unique to this motor or used with any other engine displacement? Will the manual transmission flywheel interchange like the 350 & 455 ones do? Bellhousing and clutch are still on the engine so I've not had time to tear into it and see how it all looks. Previous owner said it had a Saginaw 3 speed hooked up to it in the Poncho. I need to verify what year/model it came out of but am thinking if it was a Ventura then the pedals and Z-bar should work in someones Omega if they wanted to convert to a manual transmission. Any confirmation on that? John
All SBOs use the same stroke, so the crank will drop into any SBO. I can't speak to the strength, however, and rebalancing may be required. The MT flywheel bolts to any 68-90 Olds motor. The clutch setup likely only works in the 75-79 X-body cars.