lead alternitive

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2007, 03:42 PM
2Blue 55

Question lead alternitive

Hello, i am just wondering if there is anything else that you can put it in your gas besides lead to keep it from evaporating out of the carborator so you do not have to push the foot feed 5 or 6 times before starting?

Thanks, Robert
Old February 5th, 2007, 07:42 PM

The purpose of lead in gas was not to keep the gas from evaporating. It was to lubricate the valve seats/guides. I have never owned a carburated car that didn't need at least a couple pumps of the 'foot feed' to get it started when the engine was cold. Fuel injection or throttle body injection is a different story...
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:05 AM
2Blue 55

Thanks for the reply, i always thought lead kept the gas from evaporating, i guess i learn somthing new every day,
Thanks
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Past Administrator

Yes, like Dave said. The design of the carburetor is dependant on mechanical functions and you have to open the throttle all the way at least once to give a shot of fuel into the manifold, this is done by the accelerator pump. It should only take one time. If you have to pump it more than that you probably should rebuild the carb.
Old February 6th, 2007, 06:14 AM

That 1 full push on the gas should also set the choke if properly adjusted
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:37 PM
2Blue 55

Hi guys, i have already rebuilt the carb, but when i only pump it once, it stars for about a second, sputters and dies then I have to put gas in the bowl vent. also, when i am accelorateing from stop, i can push the pedal quite aways, but if I jump on it too fast, i bog out, I am going to try to adjust the accelorator pump once spring comes (it was -30 C today) and I hope that it will help.
Can anyone point out what i may have done wrong when rebuilding?

Thanks, robert howie
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:01 AM
W403

Cold carb remedies

I've struggled a little with the Quadrajet and even said a few foul words when running late and it didn't want to start/run. I've had mine for around 25 years now and since learned the beast. Obtaining a factory service manual from year one was the best medicine along with an HP book on understanding the unit itself. I believe there are about 25 adjustments outlined in the service manual, of which a few are variably adjustable. If you have all the settings correct, further tweaking hasn't corrected and it doesn't want to start, you most likely only need to enrich the choke by turning the housing cover counterclockwise one notch at a time until it starts and runs on it's own. I've have come thru this by learning the hard way and taking 3-4 times longer than trained tech would have in my early years. The biggest thing to mention here is the leaky main well plugs in the carb. Remove and disassemble the carb so you can access the underside of the main body. There will be 2 plugs underneath that leak and cause the main well/fuel bowl to drain down the intake and go empty. Take a file and flatten them down to fresh material, then apply an epoxy ( not the quick setting) enough to completely cover them. Be prepared to let them set overnight/24hrs depending on temperature and check them in the morning. This procedure is explained in several manuals published for the Quadrajet and is a real cure. ( Buy the manuals, trust me on this) I started mine the other evening when outside was around 32 deg., 2 pumps and vvrrrrooommmm. The RPM's slowly started to build as it got warmer. Also make sure your EFE system is operational as it enhances cold drivability along with the carb choke system adjustments. By the way mine can actually be driven after only a few minutes of warm up in cold weather when everything is set/adjusted correctly and it doesn't want to 'run away' either. I also had installed an HEI early on which requires replacing the resistor feed wire with standard style in order to obtain a 12v source from the ignition switch. Good luck, hope this helps.
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:57 PM

1968 Olds 350 in my 85 Delta, ther other night, 2 pumps of the gas pedal and it started right up, outside temp 12*

I have the Edelbrock American thunder 650 cfm carb. The q-jet was OK in the cold weather.
Old January 5th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by keith6989
Hi guys, i have already rebuilt the carb, but when i only pump it once, it stars for about a second, sputters and dies then I have to put gas in the bowl vent. also, when i am accelorateing from stop, i can push the pedal quite aways, but if I jump on it too fast, i bog out, I am going to try to adjust the accelorator pump once spring comes (it was -30 C today) and I hope that it will help.
Can anyone point out what i may have done wrong when rebuilding?

Thanks, robert howie

Sounds like you're just running a little too rich(which isn't a bad thing IMO) and your choke travel is not adjusted properly.
You should only have to pump the gas pedal once to set the choke. After that, crank away.... more pumping will only flood you out. How old is that fuel pump? The cheapie Auto Zone ones will start letting gas drain back after 2 years.
I have the same problem, and Ignore it: It idles on the second crank fine.
Double check all of your vacuum lines.