Header questions

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:31 PM

Header questions

I'd love to run headers on my 350 Cutlass S, but I want a 3/8" flange. The headers from Hedman have 3/8", but say they won't fit the S because of engine location. Anyone know why, or who offers an alternative? I'm also looking at the "high performance" manifolds offered by OPGI. Anyone have those? They would look original, which I like, but they better perform for the money they want!
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by camdon454
I'd love to run headers on my 350 Cutlass S, but I want a 3/8" flange. The headers from Hedman have 3/8", but say they won't fit the S because of engine location. Anyone know why, or who offers an alternative? I'm also looking at the "high performance" manifolds offered by OPGI. Anyone have those? They would look original, which I like, but they better perform for the money they want!
Go with the headers its just a myth and nowbody knows why these headers company's advertise "dont fit the S" my flowtechs said the same and i did alot of researsh and trust me they fit fine not easy but they will work...
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:29 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I have been runnign the same set of blackjack headers from the late 70's for 5 years. It has the "thinner" flange and it is yet to distort.
Old November 24th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by camdon454
Anyone know why,
Yeah, because header manufacturers have idiots writing their catalogs who don't want to hear any complaints that their application notes are wrong (I've got the emails back from them to show you).

Since this comes up about every three weeks, once again I'll point out that there is NO ENGINE OFFSET DIFFERENCE IN ANY CUTLASS, PERIOD.

Get the headers, they will fit as well as in any other A-body Olds (which means, expect problems at the brake junction block, starter, and possibly the upper control arms). I'd be thrilled if header manufacturers would get off this offset engine BS and simply build headers that fit correctly.
Old November 25th, 2012, 11:58 AM

A higher dollar option is Smitty's stainless headers. You have to use a specific model of Powermaster mini starter. Otherwise, they drop right in - no hammering, no changes to the brake lines, etc. And they're pretty.
Old November 29th, 2012, 11:22 AM
jfb

doug thorleys 1 and three qters fit excellent with no fitment problems but a mini starter.