found short block

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2004, 12:09 AM
<nick>

i recently came up on n oldsmobile small block, when i looked at it it had a mondello front timing chain cover it is in good cond. suposibly it was pulled from a jet boat and rebiult then never put back were it sat in a storage thing for a couple of years. i picked it up this morning and i havent yet got any pn or vin numbers. is there any why i can tell if it is a mondello short block or a stock block with the front piece it also has a a bracket for either a electric water pump or the it s a boat style pump(hard to explain). the motor has a little suface rust so when i take it apart should there be any markings to say if it is a stroker crank or if it is bored.also i was wondering if it exchangable with chevy or buick heads but i dont think so because of the front mount distributer,? again im not sure.

Old January 3rd, 2004, 03:25 PM

Can you give me the casting numbers just to the right of the oil fill tube between the water pump and the intake manifold?

No other heads swap with the Olds motor, and when you mentioned the front dist. I hope you were refering to the Buick.

Stroker cranks are very uncommon in the Olds world, not unheard of, just not likely. When you open it up, post the casting numbers off the snout of the crank, and I'll do my best to ID it for you.

[ January 03, 2004: Message edited by: 70ragtop ]

[ January 03, 2004: Message edited by: 70ragtop ]</p>
Old January 10th, 2004, 02:54 PM

i got those numbers the block casting is 396021ff8

i couldnt finf the number on the snout of the crank but the was one on the counterwieght 97363

the pistons are flat top designs reading l2323 .040 is that the overbore?

the main and rod bearings were clevette 77

also the freeze plugs are are pionier pieces i dont kno what else to get but i apprieciate the help
thanks
Old June 21st, 2006, 06:00 PM
Past Administrator

Just looking up old posts. If you are still around, that engine was a mildly built one. I have the same pistons and rods in my 455 they are common build up parts for a mild street/boat engine. I doubt the block is a "Mondello" block because those numbers you read are standard Oldsmobile casting numbers for block.