Problem with alternator that has me stumped

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2016, 06:36 PM

Problem with alternator that has me stumped

I just started working on a 70 cutlass and have problem with alternator going out or not charging. Have replaced both alternator and regulator twice already. On the dash the alternate light is dimly lit and only visible at night. I'm stumped, so any recommendations would be appreciated. Also trying to find the the high ac relay, since a/c fan does not blow on high. The think it is the relay above the power booster. Again anyone with a 70 cutlass can give me a hand would great.
Old July 13th, 2016, 07:06 PM
Lansing built

What is your voltage at the output terminal at 1500-2000 RPM?

There is an inline fuse around key buzzer relay on the drivers fender liner. Black wire with a bulge. High speed related for your fan.

Pat
Old July 13th, 2016, 07:46 PM

scan0002.jpg
Old July 14th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Johnlatour
I just started working on a 70 cutlass and have problem with alternator going out or not charging. Have replaced both alternator and regulator twice already. On the dash the alternate light is dimly lit and only visible at night. I'm stumped, so any recommendations would be appreciated. Also trying to find the the high ac relay, since a/c fan does not blow on high. The think it is the relay above the power booster. Again anyone with a 70 cutlass can give me a hand would great.
Are you saying it is not charging because the GEN light is on or because you know it isn't putting out 13.8V? There are other potential causes for a dim GEN light. Your Chassis Service Manual has troubleshooting steps.
Old July 15th, 2016, 06:07 AM

Joe
The not charging and dim lit may or may not be connected. I'm starting to thing it is, which dim light is just telling me the juice is not getting back battery. Just lost in troubleshooting what wire is causing it, since New alternator and regulator have been installed, try to avoid unwrapping wire harness to see if that is the problem.
Old July 16th, 2016, 11:13 AM

Good news and thanks to all for input, alternator is charging. Was a simple adjust
The wires coming out of the alternator. New problem, ac/hearer fan was working on low, trying to fix that problem, now does not work at all. Know fan motor works, since I can jump it with a hot wire at the relay above the power booster under the hood.