General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Someone Say Carlisle?

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2016, 07:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 68conv455
Was there on Thursday and didn't find the hood I was looking for. It's not easy to walk past something so big and distinctive so I assume none were there.
I found a 68 Cutlass good this morning, but the leading edge was rusted out. I didn't ask the price.
Old April 23rd, 2016, 05:08 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You're missing the whole point. Finding the obscure part you need in a humbled mess is half the fun. Prices will be lower also. Parts that are sorted and marked will cost more.
As they should. I just completed my first trip to Charlotte this year, helped my buddy with his spots, all Oldsmobile stuff. I will say, I have a new respect for anyone that does this. 13-14 hours driving there and back, 10-12 hours packing and unpacking, and this doesn't include his time to find a car, get the car, tear the car down to get the parts. My point is it's a lot of work, that people don't think about.

That being said, I have found a few deals here and there 'sorting through the junk', probably looked over many an item, because I had tunnel vision looking for a specific part. I think I looked at 2,002 QJets looking for a #257 that might just be hidden somewhere. It's hard to tell how many things I didn't see, while looking at those carbs.
Old April 23rd, 2016, 06:27 AM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by Troys Toy 70
As they should. I just completed my first trip to Charlotte this year, helped my buddy with his spots, all Oldsmobile stuff. I will say, I have a new respect for anyone that does this. 13-14 hours driving there and back, 10-12 hours packing and unpacking, and this doesn't include his time to find a car, get the car, tear the car down to get the parts. My point is it's a lot of work, that people don't think about.

That being said, I have found a few deals here and there 'sorting through the junk', probably looked over many an item, because I had tunnel vision looking for a specific part. I think I looked at 2,002 QJets looking for a #257 that might just be hidden somewhere. It's hard to tell how many things I didn't see, while looking at those carbs.
I saw your post in the other thread but never made it out to you. I did the whole track first, then the infield. Sat down and was talking to a guy when I was getting ready to leave and he then said there were two huge fields out behind the track. Went back, but at that point due to the windy conditions many vendors had packed up already.

Would have been cool to run into someone selling all Oldsmobile, because the spots where people were exclusively selling only one manufacturer's items were definitely rare. Most spots had a giant mix of everything known to man, unsorted in many cases, and no prices in many cases also.

While I can understand the fun in it if you go with a friend and just take the time to cruise the place, there is a definite frustration factor involved when you go by yourself and all you come home with is a 1970 license plate.
Old April 23rd, 2016, 06:48 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30
I saw your post in the other thread but never made it out to you. I did the whole track first, then the infield. Sat down and was talking to a guy when I was getting ready to leave and he then said there were two huge fields out behind the track. Went back, but at that point due to the windy conditions many vendors had packed up already.

Would have been cool to run into someone selling all Oldsmobile, because the spots where people were exclusively selling only one manufacturer's items were definitely rare. Most spots had a giant mix of everything known to man, unsorted in many cases, and no prices in many cases also.

While I can understand the fun in it if you go with a friend and just take the time to cruise the place, there is a definite frustration factor involved when you go by yourself and all you come home with is a 1970 license plate.
We left on Sunday, definitely a windy weekend. We were in the green lot which gets about 1/3 of the traffic as the infield. Shame, there were some good items outside the track.
Old April 24th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Car I most wanted to drive home from Carlisle

The 1965 Starfire. Totally loaded CA car. Still had the black plates with it. Asking $23K. While the car was beautiful, that's probably on the very high end of values for these. Still not sold on Sat.

Old April 24th, 2016, 08:56 AM

To Joe's point about this being a very good Spring Carlisle...everyone's a good one to see & expand upon the camaraderie within the Olds community/fraternity!

Thanks again to Tweed, Ally, Joe, et al
Brett
Old April 25th, 2016, 10:03 AM

Meh, forgot about it, and didn't miss anything other than the carnival grilled Italian sausage with sauce, peppers, and onions.