The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1965 Olds Cutlass 33837

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2016, 09:33 PM

1965 Olds Cutlass 33837

This site is great. Today I purchased my first 1965 Cutlass 2 dr V8 car, from the original owner. He bought it new in May 1965, off the road since 1990. I got the original insurance document from May 20, 1965, he paid $19.75 for 1 year insurance. I opened the hood and 2 rats shot out from the nest they made above the air cleaner and hood insulation.
Just wondering if someone can help me decode the numbers I have from the firewall tag. Style: 33837, body no: 354776, paint: B, trim: 949, M33, T86.
It has power steering, and power brakes, also ultra high compression 330 air cleaner and motor. Didn't get a chance to pull the air cleaner off to see if it is a 4 barrel carburetor. Original owner says it's a 330 with 315 hp. He wanted $300cdn, offered $200, we met in the middle, bought for $250. Not sure the extent of rust, has lower quarter rust, hopefully floors and trunk are decent. He bought 4 new drums back in 1989, they come with the car plus a few spare tires. Really excited to go through the entire car. Took a few pictures will post soon. Please comment, and let me know which way to go or what the car options are for this model. Would the car be worth restoring? Thanks
Old March 27th, 2016, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by CutlassRay
This site is great. Today I purchased my first 1965 Cutlass 2 dr V8 car, from the original owner. He bought it new in May 1965, off the road since 1990. I got the original insurance document from May 20, 1965, he paid $19.75 for 1 year insurance. I opened the hood and 2 rats shot out from the nest they made above the air cleaner and hood insulation.
Just wondering if someone can help me decode the numbers I have from the firewall tag. Style: 33837, body no: 354776, paint: B, trim: 949, M33, T86.
It has power steering, and power brakes, also ultra high compression 330 air cleaner and motor. Didn't get a chance to pull the air cleaner off to see if it is a 4 barrel carburetor. Original owner says it's a 330 with 315 hp. He wanted $300cdn, offered $200, we met in the middle, bought for $250. Not sure the extent of rust, has lower quarter rust, hopefully floors and trunk are decent. He bought 4 new drums back in 1989, they come with the car plus a few spare tires. Really excited to go through the entire car. Took a few pictures will post soon. Please comment, and let me know which way to go or what the car options are for this model. Would the car be worth restoring? Thanks
Old March 27th, 2016, 10:10 PM

Old March 27th, 2016, 10:14 PM

Old March 27th, 2016, 10:15 PM

Old March 27th, 2016, 11:03 PM

lookin good, thats a great price too. http://www.442bro.com/ this site will answer alot of your questions.
Old March 28th, 2016, 07:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. 33837 does indicate a Cutlass Holiday Coupe and the 315 hp 4bbl 330 motor was standard equipment. Be aware that the air cleaner is not original, however. The bottom part isn't even Oldsmobile. Whoever added that air cleaner transferred the Olds piepan and Ultra High Compression sticker. The original air cleaner would look like this (note that the snorkel is oval, not round, and is part of the large top; the bottom was flat):

I suspect that the original 4GC carb has been changed to something else, like an Edelbrock. The 4GC had a smaller air horn and the original air cleaner would not fit a newer carb with the 5.25" air horn. The "M33" on the cowl tag denotes the Jetaway 2 spd automatic trans. "T86" denotes the optional backup lights. Nice buy.
Old March 28th, 2016, 10:55 AM

hi Joe, thanks for the response. will have to ask the original owner what happened to the aircleaner. would maybe a Canadian model from Oshawa Ontario plant have a different air cleaner? not sure why Oldsmobile would make one different. have to question and take a look at the air cleaner on it now.
where do I buy lower quarters or patch panels for rust repair, its going to need it. Also, what where the standard options on the 3837 Holiday Coupe model?
Old March 28th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

hi Joe, thanks for the response. will have to ask the original owner what happened to the aircleaner. would maybe a Canadian model from Oshawa Ontario plant have a different air cleaner? not sure why Oldsmobile would make one different. have to question and take a look at the air cleaner on it now.
where do I buy lower quarters or patch panels for rust repair, its going to need it. Also, what where the standard options on the 3837 Holiday Coupe model?
Canadian models got the same air cleaners as all others. That isn't a 1965 air cleaner and it isn't even a GM air cleaner. It actually looks like a Chrysler air cleaner. What carb is on the engine? I'm willing to bet it is not the original 4GC. An aftermarket carb would require a different air cleaner to fit.

Found it. You have a mid-60s Dodge/Plymouth single snorkel air cleaner, as used on the 273 and 318 motors. The round snorkel is a giveaway:

Old March 28th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

The 1965 cars are not well supported in the aftermarket for patch panels. Pretty much only the parts common to Chevelles are readily available. That means you can get floor pans and inner structure, but nothing for outer patch panels. Good used from the desert is about your only option.

Here are pages from the 1965 SPECS booklet that tell the standard and optional equipment.

Old March 28th, 2016, 11:53 AM

Joe, man your fast, great info, original owner must have either lost original one or someone stole it out of the car. will definitely have to try and find the original aircleaner. let me know if anyone has one for sale, price and matching paint colour, as well as decals if still available.
to bad it the one on it now wasnt from a 1969 superbee, I have one of those too.
Thanks again
Old March 28th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Joe, man your fast, great info, original owner must have either lost original one or someone stole it out of the car. will definitely have to try and find the original aircleaner.
I'll try one more time:

Check the carb. If the original 4GC has been replaced by a newer carb (like an Edelbrock), the original air cleaner wouldn't fit, which may be one reason why there's a different one.
Old March 28th, 2016, 01:11 PM

Thanks, will check to see what carb is installed on it now. sounds like Im going to be looking for a few parts and pieces. this site will be good. talk soon.
Old March 28th, 2016, 02:04 PM

Congratulations and good luck on the rebuild! I see your already off to a good start with the sound advice offered on this site.
Old April 11th, 2016, 10:15 PM

Finally got the car home, original owner gave me a original service manual, and spare drums and winter tires with rims. After closer look at the car I noticed frame is rusty in front of rear tires, and lots inside rear fenders and trunk above tires. He also lost the keys for the car, someone broke into the house and stole his wallet with only set of keys he had. Let me know if a locksmith can cut a key for doors ignition and trunk. How much work is involved to repair the frame and is it with it. Might be worth selling to someone as parts car or look for a cleaner car. Thank
Old May 19th, 2016, 08:53 PM

4GC Original Rochester and Air Cleaner?

Finally got the car home, original owner gave me a original service manual, and spare drums and winter tires with rims. After closer look at the car I noticed frame is rusty in front of rear tires, and lots inside rear fenders and trunk above tires. He also lost the keys for the car, someone broke into the house and stole his wallet with only set of keys he had. Let me know if a locksmith can cut a key for doors ignition and trunk. How much work is involved to repair the frame and is it with it. Might be worth selling to someone as parts car or look for a cleaner car. Thank

4 1/8" air horn, pictures of original carb is it 4GC?

Old May 19th, 2016, 08:55 PM

4 1/8" air horn, pictures of original carb is it 4GC?

Old May 19th, 2016, 09:39 PM

original owner for 51yrs. drove from 1965-1990, parked from 1990-2016. he told me it was the best car he ever bought and drove.
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:43 PM

original owner for 51yrs. drove from 1965-1990, parked from 1990-2016. he told me it was the best car he ever bought and drove.

51yrs ago tomorrow original owner bought Cutlass, and insured first time for $19.75 for 1 year.
Old May 20th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

I think we've had this conversation before. The carb is a correct 4GC. The air cleaner housing is NOT an Oldsmobile air cleaner. The original air cleaner would have looked something like this, though it would have been painted, not chrome:

Note that the snorkel is oval, not round, and is connected to the top, not the base. The base is a flat pan that fits on the carb:

Old May 20th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'll also point out that someone has incorrectly jammed a pipe thread barb fitting into the carb's fuel inlet fitting to connect that hose. The original fuel line would have been all metal and used flare nuts, not pipe thread. That inlet fitting is probably damaged now, which means you'll need a replacement if you want to return to the original fuel line.
Old May 20th, 2016, 08:12 PM

looks like a nice car , i also have a 65 cutlass
Old May 20th, 2016, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I think we've had this conversation before. The carb is a correct 4GC. The air cleaner housing is NOT an Oldsmobile air cleaner. The original air cleaner would have looked something like this, though it would have been painted, not chrome:

Note that the snorkel is oval, not round, and is connected to the top, not the base. The base is a flat pan that fits on the carb:

Old May 20th, 2016, 08:33 PM

Joe, I really appreciate your comments and confirming that the carb was a original 4GC. I did agree with you also on the air cleaner not being original as per my previous thread comments. Not sure if I am able to ask if someone knows where I can find the original snorkel, paint colours or decals, please confirm. Wondering if someone would be interested in trading any 1967 Toronado parts for on. Look forward to learning more about this car.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 03:55 PM

let me take a look at my air cleaner on my 65 cutlass and see if its what your looking for