General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Suggestions/help to get parts shipped

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2018, 03:51 PM

Suggestions/help to get parts shipped

Good evening to the group. I am reaching out to ask for help/suggestions to get a disc brake set, for our 1966 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight, to be shipped up from the Indianapolis, Indiana area to the Burlington, Ontario, Canada area. It is roughly a 510 mile journey to take, if push comes to shove, we may do the trip depending on how I am doing. My question is, I have looked at a few options, cost is pretty crazy. Tried Fastenal (Via Scott Winn, he has been terrific in trying to help too) and Fastenal says they are not shipping to Canada, the local store is but just over a mile from home. Sheesh, we might as well live in Switzerland I sometimes feel when trying to enjoy the Classic Oldsmobile hobby in Canada. Will anybody be making a trip to the Detroit area when the weather turns a little bit more predictable, or do they have a business that may ship up to the Windsor area of Canada, or any other way? I am figuring that the set which has control arms included would weigh probably in the 100-lb range. Any suggestions from the veterans here would be appreciated. Any help/direction is being thanked for in advance! Thank you, regards, Howie. PS, sorry, loaded one image twice, only noticed after the post, as noted in this edit!

Disc brake assembly

Disc brakes so far away!

And more from so far away!
Old February 15th, 2018, 04:00 PM

Cool Parts

Try UPS they should be able to help youMay take a few dollars but should be reasonable
Alain
Old February 15th, 2018, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by alain
Try UPS they should be able to help youMay take a few dollars but should be reasonable
Alain
That is a decent suggestion Alain. In the past, however, I have paid more for delivery on smaller parts it seems then the parts were worth! The shipping, customs broker fees (have to use theirs I have been told) ,tarifs, taxes add up crazy fast. If it all boils down to this, then it will be the way to obtain the parts. I am checking all options from folks here who have been down this road and appreciate all input.
Old February 15th, 2018, 04:30 PM

I'm thinkin that it would be a lot cheaper to drive there and back than pay for shipping and import duties.......... just sayin.
Old February 15th, 2018, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
I'm thinkin that it would be a lot cheaper to drive there and back than pay for shipping and import duties.......... just sayin.
With the thinking I have been doing Randy, we do have that option, and it is a possibility, making it an adventure!
Old February 15th, 2018, 06:13 PM

Could you have it shipped to a UPS Store near you on the US side and pick it up there? Then you'd be responsible for declaring it to your customs and paying any applicable duty. I believe you may also be able to have it shipped General Delivery to a USPS office and pick it up there also. I haven't done either of these options and you'd definitely want to do your own research. Good luck! Don
Old February 15th, 2018, 06:54 PM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by Partagas
Could you have it shipped to a UPS Store near you on the US side and pick it up there? Then you'd be responsible for declaring it to your customs and paying any applicable duty. I believe you may also be able to have it shipped General Delivery to a USPS office and pick it up there also. I haven't done either of these options and you'd definitely want to do your own research. Good luck! Don
Or the fastal on the us side..
Old February 15th, 2018, 09:46 PM

I agree with what's already been shared. Shipping large/heavy parts across the border is expensive. I like the suggestion of having them shipped to a location just on the US side that you could drive down and pick up at. You might suggest some cities to see if anyone here lives in one of those locations. Will Scott be able to package them up for you, or were you planning to secure them to a pallet? I've just recently started using u-ship for quarter panels as Fastenal has turned me down the last two times. If secured to a pallet you might give them a try. John

https://www.uship.com/LandingPages/c...SAAEgLwefD_BwE
Old February 16th, 2018, 01:58 AM

Cool parts

I agree if you do not live to far from the border get it shipped to one of the
brokers on the US side UPS FEDEX DHL etc get a tracking number copy of bill
of sale and you are all set pay taxes at a Canadien Custom on your way back
if you are gone four days or more you are aloud to bring back $800.00
Canadien no taxes
Alain
Old February 16th, 2018, 07:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by midnightleadfoot
Or the fastenal on the us side..
^^^THIS! Likely the least expensive solution all around.
Old February 16th, 2018, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
^^^THIS! Likely the least expensive solution all around.

John, Don, Alain and Joe, and anybody else my eyes may have missed, thank you very much for time taken to write back! Shipping heavy parts across the border is out, as you folks have said it is expensive! I could get a whole car for parts for less then the quoted cost from UPS! The option of A) getting shipped to a nearby place at the border, or, B) taking a trip to Scott when the weather softens up are the most likely. Who knows what else i may bring home from Scott too! Oldsmobile parts are not growing on trees like apples exactly. I am very sure, Scott, being the kind and helpful soul he is, will help me, I wish not to burden him, he sells parts, I do not expect the man to be a babysitter. Patience on my part will be the best result. I have friends who live in Ottawa who are car nuts too, they (one being his cousin) inherited my late friend Blair's 1969 Vista Cruiser when Blair passed away suddenly almost seven years ago. Blair's 1971 442 convertible W-30 factory 4-speed went to his brother Jim.

They have a US shipping address for their car obsession in Ogdensburg, NY to save costs. I will approach them on this matter. Here is a picture of Blair's Vista Cruiser!

Blair's 1969 Vista Cruiser

Blair and his 1971 W-30 4-speed 442
Old February 16th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vistabrat72
Who knows what else i may bring home from Scott too!
A trip to Scott's place is a dangerous thing. Bring a truck!

If you're not in a hurry for the parts, the OCA Nationals are in Gettysburg, PA at the end of July. I know Scott will be there.
Old February 16th, 2018, 03:01 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
A trip to Scott's place is a dangerous thing. Bring a truck!

If you're not in a hurry for the parts, the OCA Nationals are in Gettysburg, PA at the end of July. I know Scott will be there.
I am kinda figuring this out already Joe! It will be like a child in a candy store I am afraid! We have a nice wood box made to fit in the back of our Vista that straps down in the cargo area, and we also have our Suburban Turbo Diesel! The OCA nats are something we hope to do, health permitting. Oh I am looking up to the heavens now! Thanks too for this option!

Bringing home too many Oldsmobile parts a possibility? Never!
Old February 16th, 2018, 03:50 PM

Smile parts

I did not know Blair personally but the few times I spoke with him he seemed
like a very nice gentleman .Hope we were all helpful in you quest
Alain
Old February 16th, 2018, 04:01 PM

I have run into issues with Fastenal lately as well. They are getting very picky and my local store guys are horrible at customer service.

I will take John's advise and try uship as well/.
Old February 17th, 2018, 01:23 AM

Another option for shipping large parts is Greyhound Bus lines. I bought a rear seat from across the country an the shipping was really reasonable. It did take longer then conventional methods though.
Old February 17th, 2018, 04:50 PM

I did not know Blair personally but the few times I spoke with him he seemed
like a very nice gentleman .Hope we were all helpful in you quest
Alain
I have run into issues with Fastenal lately as well (QUOTE)

Another option for shipping large parts is Greyhound Bus lines. (QUOTE)

Thank you all for the many suggestions. You all have been very helpful, and my direction has been assisted quite a bit. And Greyhound is another option. Holy Hounds batman!
As far as Blair goes, Alain, yes, you are very correct about his persona. Blair was a soul who would be there for you as a friend. So much fun with so many adventures with him we all had, Oldsmobile or not related. This particular song holds a lot to my heart and memory, for one evening a Vista Cruiser load of us were heading west of Ottawa to some friends for a BBQ dinner. There I was sitting, setting sun on my face in the back seat of that '69 Oldsmobile....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWk7ZivgWbM
Old February 17th, 2018, 05:05 PM

Try U Ship it. They're the Company that the tv show "Shipping Wars" is about. I'm not sure if they ship to Canada but I had a good experience shipping a complete rear end to Florida. No crating plus the guy picked it up on scheduled time and I loaded it in his one ton van with a long reach picker and off he went. Buyer was happy and paid $250. I thought it was fair.
Old February 17th, 2018, 05:12 PM

Cool parts

The song goes well with this gentleman.Will finish my GS take a break
and come back to the fold
Alain
Old February 17th, 2018, 05:12 PM

What about setting it up to pick the parts up at Homecoming in Lansing in June? If your buying from Scott I am 99% sure he will be there, and you can kill 2 birds...pick up parts...buy a lot more things you may or may not need...but see the show!

Brett
Old February 17th, 2018, 05:32 PM

The song goes well with this gentleman.Will finish my GS take a break
and come back to the fold
Alain
I knew you would understand Alain! Nice looking GS Alain! My godson and I got his '72 Skylark convertible on the road last summer. But that is another story for another time.
Old February 17th, 2018, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Paladin31
What about setting it up to pick the parts up at Homecoming in Lansing in June? If your buying from Scott I am 99% sure he will be there, and you can kill 2 birds...pick up parts...buy a lot more things you may or may not need...but see the show!

Brett
Brett, I am batting that one around too! Depends on finances, health, value of the Canadian Peso ( rotten right now!), and fuel prices. I would love to bring one of the Oldsmobiles, oh who knows! Parts! No matter what I bring, even the truck, I will have to find more places at home to squirrel them away! There is never such thing as too many Oldsmobile parts!