The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Can someone decode a Chevy FB tag

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Always room for one more

Can someone decode a Chevy FB tag

Hi everyone.

In my quest for finding a car that was built on the day I was born, I came across this car and asked for the date on the Fisher Body tag. This is the picture I got. It doesn't say Fisher Body, but does appear to be in the general form. No idea what any of this means. It's on a 67 Impala.

Can someone decipher this for me? Thanks.

Old January 9th, 2018, 09:35 PM

Newer Chevrolet shop manuals and Fisher body manuals show a 3 digit "time built code" or "date build code" in the center left portion of the plate (where yours shows body & paint codes); but apparently the plate changed some through the years. Try to look in a '67 Chevrolet or Fisher body book. It's usually near the beginning of the manual.
Also, you might check one of the Chevy forums. It would seem like someone there could answer your question.

Last edited by Ozzie; January 9th, 2018 at 09:39 PM. Reason: additional information
Old January 10th, 2018, 02:37 AM
Always room for one more

Thanks Ozzie. When I have some time I'll peruse the Chevy forums and see what I can find. I just thought that since I'm on here so much I'd pitch the question. I always get good answers here and sometimes Chevy people can be a little difficult.
Old January 10th, 2018, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Thanks Ozzie. When I have some time I'll peruse the Chevy forums and see what I can find. I just thought that since I'm on here so much I'd pitch the question. I always get good answers here and sometimes Chevy people can be a little difficult.
Strange that I've had similar experiences. Perhaps Oldsmobile owners are "a cut above". After looking in a '67 Olds Chassis Service Manual, it appears that they also had a "time built code" on their Body and Style Number Plate as shown in your photo, but there is no information on how to decipher it.

Keep in mind that all components of a vehicle may not have been built on the same day. I can remember seeing the body being lowered through an opening between the first and second levels to meet the chassis when I toured the Lansing location in 1964. Engines were built elsewhere and went through a "run-in" procedure. All components came together on the final assembly line. The time built code for the body may not be the date it came down the final assembly line. The Chevrolet L-6 engine used by Olds in '67 had a "date code" stamped on a flat area adjacent to the distributor. It had a source code letter followed by four digits followed by two letters. The first letter identified the engine plant, the four digits identified the month and date the engine was completed, and the last two letters identified the transmission type it was intended to be used with. Automobile construction was a complex process. Identifying the date of final assembly requires more than I'm capable of. Someone else on the forum may be able to clarify for you.
Old January 10th, 2018, 09:02 PM

I would suggest that you post your picture and question in the proper forum at http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...llsize_Chevys/ .
The people there are extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. I also have a couple of Chevrolets in my collection, and this is where I go to get information about my Chevy's.
I can't go as far as saying that there might not be a person that might give you a difficult time, but like almost every website, there is almost always one person that will try to tear you down to build themselves up. They are the ones that feel the need to be the top dog, and the best thing to do in that case, is to just ignore them. Just don't "feed the trolls" and life is always smoother.
Old January 10th, 2018, 10:28 PM
Phantom Phixer

That is not a standard Fisher Body tag , as would be found on US assembled 67 Chevrolets .
GM had assembly plants all over the world .
This body tag is from one of those other plants . Possibly Canada or Australia ?
Old January 10th, 2018, 10:59 PM

16469 Impala V8 4-door sedan
2 - 1 - 26 second shift January 26th
OS Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
9 GG enamel paint "Granada gold metallic"
888 gold cloth & vinyl bench seat interior
D99
M35 powerglide
Old January 10th, 2018, 11:08 PM

the only thing I can find for D99 is two-tone paint moldings ????
Old January 11th, 2018, 02:45 AM
Always room for one more

Holy Toledo thanks hurst68. I bet this was a nice car in its day. It's kind of lunched out now but worth looking at. Too bad it was built in January, I was born in June so that knocks it out of the running.

See, I didn't need to go to Chevy after all! Thanks everyone for weighing in.