cutlass supreme 1974 front seat belt

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2017, 10:24 AM

cutlass supreme 1974 front seat belt

Hello,
I m looking for front seat belt for a 1974 olds cutlass supreme.
If someone know where i could find this, to delivery to france.
Thanks.
Old December 25th, 2017, 10:58 AM

Belts

Bench/std bucket or swivel bucket seats? What color?
Old December 26th, 2017, 03:20 AM

Standard seat belt in 3 point something like this, and for the color i don't really mind, black or red or ...
Old December 26th, 2017, 07:46 AM

Okay...so, you're not interested in the factory original style belts? There are a number of parts suppliers that sell aftermarket seat belts. Just Google it. Maybe someone on here can chime in with some specific information?
Old December 26th, 2017, 10:15 AM

i m interested in factory oeignila belts. but on my cutlass supreme it's already this kind of belts. with 3 point like this one in the picture but one is cut...
Old December 26th, 2017, 02:39 PM

I guess the next thing that needs to be taken into consideration if you're open to factory original is how the previous owner anchored the outer rear seat track mounts? Originally, if you have a bench or std bucket seat setup (non-power), they rested on top of the floor mounted belt retractors. If they installed this style of aftermarket belts shown, I'm guessing they welded spacer brackets or blocks to the floor to compensate? If that is the case, they would need to be removed in order to use correct retractors.

Last edited by crimsoncolby; December 27th, 2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old December 31st, 2017, 04:51 AM

ok, i would like to replace it beca
Old December 31st, 2017, 04:56 AM

besause one on the front is broken, and if possible i would like to replace it by original one, the same seat belt that was whn the car was sold in 1974.
take a look to the picture maybe you could tell me if they have been change or not. and the front seat is electrical.
thanks

Old December 31st, 2017, 09:28 AM
Olds Collector

1974 Cutlass four door seat belts

Hello: I had a 1973 Pontiac Grand AM 4 door with a maroon interior. It looks like the retractor housing shown on the floor of the rear seat is correct. Black seat belts are usually standard and belts with the color to match the interior were "Deluxe" for a few dollars more and listed on the window sticker. While the housings are the same, I think the deluxe belts also had the matching maroon case on the floor. 1973 was different and did not have the retractor in the ceiling, the only retractor is in the floor. 1973 had a long plastic try to hold the belt to the ceiling and it was optional to use it!! The buckle had a slot where you could attach the shoulder strap if you wanted to use it!! 1974 thru 1977 should have the same retractor in the ceiling and the same one piece belt. I think you want to keep with original parts.

The bracket on the door panel looks bogus to me. Upon impact in a collision, there would be a lot of force on the bracket and if it is only bolted to the plastic, parts may go flying. It looks like someone did that to keep the belt from getting caught in the door as the door closed. Sorry, but don't think I have the maroon "B" pillar plastic to replace yours with holes in them. I think maroon was a common color for interiors but hard to find a replacement now.

I doubt the aftermarket photos in your first post will work in your ceiling mounted factory retractor. I would like more photos. I suspect that your belts are factory with that ceiling and floor housing looking correct to me. I would like to see the buckle and the blade from the front of the seat. Is there a GM logo on the button? I see a non swivel power driver seat here.
Anyway, more photos from the front would help.

My wife and I had a great trip to Paris, France in 2001 just a few months before the 9/11/01 attack in the USA. Locals in Paris were very nice to us. One young lady at a cafe talked to us several times and brought her father out to meet us. She spoke English but he did not. It was a nice memory. We say to each other "..we'll always have Paris...". I hope you have seen the movie "Casablanca" starring Ingrid Bergman and Humphrey Bogart.

Enjoy that Cutlass, they are great cars and the 4 doors are so much nicer to travel with friends.

Regards, Trent in Los Angeles.
Old December 31st, 2017, 09:30 AM

Okay...what is in your car IS the correct belt retractor for power seats. Unfortunately, that particular style is probably even more difficult to find than swivel bucket retractors. I might suggest you consider trying to repair the one you have. If you can be more specific as to how it's "broken", I might be able to help. I've disassembled and cleaned, repaired and replaced straps on a number of these, so it can be done. I've got some spare parts if needed, too.
Old December 31st, 2017, 11:33 AM
Olds Collector

1974 Cutlass four door seat belts

Hello: Thank you crimsoncolby for your help. I have also sold parts and repaired these belts. Of course, you want to keep the originals if at all possible. The buckles were unique to my 73, so maybe crimsoncolby has either the buckle or blade you need to just fix yours. You might need to cut the threads holding the either end in place then resew the belt with the new piece. This was done without much trouble to fix several 73 cars using the same belt. I hope your belts are good. Those are the harder parts to replace. I do suggest you remove the metal brackets on the inside door pillar. It just seems it would change the safety of the belt in a collision and not hold the person as well. We just need some photos to see (hopefully a broken end) what needs to be replaced. Regards, Trent in Los Angeles, California
Old January 3rd, 2018, 09:07 AM

S=For now i have got no more phtot to show you.
I can explain:
The belt tissus from the celling retractor and from the floor retractor are disjointed from the metal part that lock the belt( see pîcture)

IT was fix by the prévious owner but fix like i don't know why, look really not good ( for the safety control)!!
I would like to cut the damaged tissus part and use a machine to make new seam.
Is it what you have done to repair belt? do i need to use special wire ? liek high resistance wire ?
Old January 3rd, 2018, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Molasson73
Hello,
I m looking for front seat belt for a 1974 olds cutlass supreme.
If someone know where i could find this, to delivery to france.
Thanks.
Hello, i have seat belts from 1974 & 1975 Olds Delta 88's
james.dowling99@yahoo.com.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 05:28 PM

I've never had the straps resewn...so, can't help you on that. I'd suggest maybe contacting a local upholsterer or leather goods repair shop to see if they could do these for you. The thread doesn't look like anything more than a nylon filament.

Of course, the other options are to replace the intact straps/buckle assembly using some from just about any '74-'77 GM car with similar roof retractor; regardless of type of floor retractor. Or, find the exact retractor setup that you currently have and save yourself the effort of disassembling/reassembling the retractors. If you go with the first option, just be sure the male buckle is the same in order to work with your inner female belt receiver. There were several styles used back then...and, the others are not compatible.

Last edited by crimsoncolby; January 4th, 2018 at 06:56 AM.
Old January 4th, 2018, 07:06 PM
Olds Collector

Hi: It is possible I still have the seat belt from my 4 door Grand AM. It would bolt in the floor like factory and the belt could be resewn thru your original buckle to have the lap belt. The same thing could be done for the shoulder strap. Do you have the original blade that slides into the buckle? I will check to see what I have. Regards, Trent in Los Angeles.