Low Cost Stainless Headers from eBay

Old January 29th, 2017, 02:27 PM

Low Cost Stainless Headers from eBay

The only thing separating the two headers was a thin layer of bubble wrap. There were a few scuff marks that would probably buff out easily.

Overall not a bad looking header. The two center passenger side pipes are two piece welded. One disappointment is that all flanges are not stainless. If I do decide to use these I will massage them first and then ceramic coat the flanges and inside before final install.

These come with all gaskets and some really long bolts you can use on another project. I usually use stainless bolts with a 3/8 or 5/16 hex head. I don’t care for the 12 point bolts for headers because you can’t use an open end wrench on them if needed. The passenger side header is about 4” shorter. Shortest pipe is 28” and longest is 39”.

Here is a close up of the head flange welds. The discoloration on the pipe is what looks like clear flux that comes off with your fingernail. They must have used a 309L filler wire with a flux core. Those are actually 3/8” head flanges, not 7/16” as advertised. One thing I have found with 7/16” head flanges is that you need to go up to the next length bolt which is more difficult to install.

Not a bad weld job on the ports. Way better than the FlowTechs I once bought. Square cut holes and some of the material and that banged up edge you see is sticking out past the gasket surface and should be removed.

This is the only place on the header that has a slight clearance ding. The #1 and possible #3 pipe will probably need a steering shaft clearance ding. A bit of heat to make the dent and repolishing should do the trick.

Not a bad welding job at the outlet either. They may have used steel between the pipes as well.

A bit of rust starting here already. If they used 309L filler wire then it will have enough stainless in it not to rust. They probably used a piece of steel to fill between pipes.

Close up of one of the two butt welds on the pipe. You may or may not like this. I will match well with your sheet metal intake and welded aluminum valve covers. Of course with that setup you’ll want 2” headers.

Both head flanges are not straight and warped outwards in the center by about 0.020” each.

No way will we ever get a bolt into this passenger side header under the #6 pipe without first dinging the header from the backside or angle drilling the hole a bit. Unfortunately I won’t be installing them anytime soon so I won’t be able to tell you what the fitment is like. I have heard that these are a copy of a Hooker header.

When I saw these headers on eBay for $144 I couldn’t resist buying them just to have a look at them. They fit 64-67 Big Block and 68-75 Big and Small Block cars. 1-3/4” primaries and 3” collectors.
These are sold by tcboverstock here: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/262786905684 free shipping to the lower 48 and $28 to Canada.

Old January 31st, 2017, 05:08 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

People say everything from China is junk, unfortunately they are getting better and making some decent products. These look very nice but would sit low from what others have seen on my 350.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; January 31st, 2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old January 31st, 2017, 11:05 PM

They have proven time and time again they can make great stuff, for incredible prices. Those headers are actually made to fit BBO, and why they hang low on the SBO.

If you are worried about American jobs don't, because in the near future there won't be any. Nor any in China either, and the reason is robots. in 2016 at one plant, they laid off 40,000 workers replacing them with robots. China is extreme high tech, so great parts for Olds and great prices can be had. They are working hard for every dime they get.
Old February 1st, 2017, 07:29 AM

I have an old set of ? brand that I was going to install in a 1972 Supreme that I am working on. It's presently a 350. I figured I should put a Ga headed 455 in it to make it more sellable. I think I'll buy a set of these headers instead. I have factory WZ manifolds but it's hard to give up 20 hp by not using headers. Thanks for the information and pictures about these headers.
Old February 1st, 2017, 08:30 AM

Here are some more links from High Performance Olds.com on them

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ss-review.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slOHVpCiP5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTUIqQDv__4&t=4s

http://www.dragtimes.com/parts/Olds-...786905684.html

And don't forget the plain headers for about $115

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291748176505...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old April 3rd, 2017, 12:50 PM

Old April 3rd, 2017, 01:21 PM

Looks like a good fit
Old April 3rd, 2017, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by McGee68

Got any more pics, at different angles underneath?? Looks nice.
Old April 4th, 2017, 08:43 AM

Here are the only other pics I have. They hang LOW on a 350

Old April 4th, 2017, 09:00 AM

OK, thanks. I was tying to figure out how or if they might fit on my project, which is totally different and a 455.
Old April 7th, 2017, 10:42 AM

I have another on helping to show ground clearance
Old April 7th, 2017, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by McGee68
I have another on helping to show ground clearance
Thanks because I might have more ground clearance than usual, so I was not so interested or concerned with that part. Also I have a BBO, which is a little higher exhaust, and those are designed as BBO headers. Fantastic headers at a great price. I may or may not buy some, because my situation is a little different, but those pictures will help on the decision, if I decide I do want to try them, and think I actually need headers.