Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

7040253 (1970 4-speed) Carburetor-- Replated and Rebuilt

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2014, 08:14 PM

7040253 (1970 4-speed) Carburetor-- Replated and Rebuilt

This is a fully rebuilt, re-plated, and flow tested 7040253 carburetor with all the correct casting numbers for a 1970 4-speed 442. It's a service date carb, Julian date code 1779. It's beautiful, never been run or even mounted since being restored. Packaged and ready to ship.

PRICE DROP $500 shipped
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
carb1.jpg (145.8 KB, 220 views)
carb2.jpg (162.7 KB, 187 views)
carb3.jpg (169.4 KB, 206 views)
carb4.jpg (102.2 KB, 234 views)

Last edited by 455Olds; July 8th, 2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old June 30th, 2014, 04:52 PM

Price lowered to $550
Old July 3rd, 2014, 04:59 PM

Bump
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:35 AM

BUMP

Price drop to $500 shipped.
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:16 PM

bump
Old July 23rd, 2014, 05:24 PM

bump
Old July 31st, 2014, 10:54 AM

bump... offers?
Old August 1st, 2014, 03:56 PM

If you want to PM me you number I can give it to a guy looking for one.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
If you want to PM me you number I can give it to a guy looking for one.
I will PM you now. Thanks very much for the help!
Old August 24th, 2014, 08:53 PM

bump
Old August 25th, 2014, 04:05 AM

Do you know what jets and rods are in it ? That carb was also on the 70 Rallye 350 4 speed from paper work I have seen . Just not sure if jetting is the same for both aplications or not. Do you know why some carbs have a two letter deotation and some dont like yours ?
Old August 25th, 2014, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
Do you know what jets and rods are in it ? That carb was also on the 70 Rallye 350 4 speed from paper work I have seen . Just not sure if jetting is the same for both aplications or not. Do you know why some carbs have a two letter deotation and some dont like yours ?
I am not certain on the jets and rods. I purchased this carb from "Vader"-- maybe he can chime in? As far as I know, it was rebuilt completely to factory specifications for a 1970 442 4-speed. I cannot speak to the fitment on a Rallye 350. As for the Julian date code, this is a service date carb.
Old September 9th, 2014, 08:02 AM

bump
Old September 10th, 2014, 11:17 AM

Is this an original OEM stamped unit or a re stamp?
Old September 10th, 2014, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Is this an original OEM stamped unit or a re stamp?
As far as I know it's an original OEM stamped carb, and as stated it's a service date.
Old September 10th, 2014, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by 455Olds
As far as I know it's an original OEM stamped carb, and as stated it's a service date.
OK,just checking because by the protocol that has been used to determine a re stamped unit by some on this site is shown on the carb pictured. I'm not knocking your carb @ all,just trying to get educated on OEM units vs the re stamped units.
Old September 10th, 2014, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
OK,just checking because by the protocol that has been used to determine a re stamped unit by some on this site is shown on the carb pictured. I'm not knocking your carb @ all,just trying to get educated on OEM units vs the re stamped units.
I appreciate your input very much. Unfortunately, I'm not knowledgeable enough to speak on the OEM vs. re-stamp issue. All I can provide is the information that's been given to me, the condition, and what I paid for it. Maybe the guy who sold it to me, Vader, can shed some light?
Old September 12th, 2014, 06:56 AM

If Vader sold it to you, and he told you its real deal, then its real deal. Hes very knowledgeable when it comes to original parts.
Old September 12th, 2014, 08:32 AM

What I'm questioning is the 4 punch marks that are beside the part # and the date code. These punch marks were used to deem another carb a re stamp. They said the factory didn't use them. I'm not accusing you or anybody else of re stamping/cloning/fraud etc. What I'm trying to determine why is one carb correct with them and another not. There are re stamp police all over this site and I'm just trying to find out why the difference.
Old September 12th, 2014, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Vader
Hmmm, what are the qualifications to become a restamp policeman ? Is there an election, or can you self appoint ?
This carb has the correct parts of a 7040253 (I believe).... I wasn't at the factory when it was stamped, so I guess anyone could say it's a restamp. But, like the many we've seen, factory stamps were inconsistent at best. Why a restamp carb would be dated '79, makes no sense. I've probably had over a dozen of these, so am I an expert ? No :-/ Just my .02

Interesting question though: If someone on this board says they believe this is a restamp, based on their opinion, do I owe 455 Olds his money back ?
Who's the judge, and who has ownership of the sale / purchase ? Statute of limitations ? caveat emptor ? Interesting...
I'm in the middle of a dispute myself,so I guess me trying to find out from the site police/expert on re stamped parts is valid. The site police are quick to judge some parts but not others? The site police are also quick to speak out on some sellers and not others? Take it anyway you wish,I'm just trying to get an answer on what is right and what is wrong. If you haven't done anything wrong,you have nothing to worry about but I'm going to get an answer from the all knowing one way or the other.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; September 12th, 2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old September 12th, 2014, 01:09 PM

No one can overturn purchases, but Trick did pay everyone he scammed . ALL buyers in question got refunded , so why would he do that if the parts weren't fraudulent. Rebuilding carbs has no bearing on whether you can or have the ability to re-stamp or not.

Far as carb on here no one on here believes you re-stamped it. However I am asking did it come from Carb Junkies?
Obviously I don't need to know as I am not involved in this purchase.
I ask because a few have purchased from them and come to find out they were and are re-stamps. Some to the point where ghost characters are even seen.

When I started the thread I did not deem myself a restamp authority . Yes a few such as Sam have more experience and multiple original carbs/pics to utilize to give their opinion. Furthermore aside from that I went into great detail why the thread was started and what were the goals to achieve from it, and trust me it wasn't to start a police station here.
Old September 13th, 2014, 06:49 PM

Crickets
Old September 13th, 2014, 09:19 PM

I appreciate Mike's (Vader's) input here, along with everyone else's. This carburetor is not being misrepresented, in my opinion. There is no omnipotent being acting as the self-appointed restamp authority here. At this point, there doesn't seem to be any definitive identifiers that are common to all restamps.

Speaking to Mike's point-- why would someone re-stamp a carb to a 1979 service date? If deception is no issue to a "restamper," why not maximize return and stamp everything for a W car? Furthermore, based on forum rules we all adhere to, is my sale thread the appropriate place for this debate?

Thanks for reading,
Chris
Old September 14th, 2014, 07:10 AM

I appreciate Mike's (Vader's) input here, along with everyone else's. This carburetor is not being misrepresented, in my opinion. There is no omnipotent being acting as the self-appointed restamp authority here. At this point, there doesn't seem to be any definitive identifiers that are common to all restamps.

Speaking to Mike's point-- why would someone re-stamp a carb to a 1979 service date? If deception is no issue to a "restamper," why not maximize return and stamp everything for a W car? Furthermore, based on forum rules we all adhere to, is my sale thread the appropriate place for this debate?

Thanks for reading,
Chris
I understand what you're saying but there's other carbs out here that have been re stamped with the same markings this carb has. As far as why a carb with a service date be re stamped,it's called profit and just because it's a service date doesn't mean anything. As I've said before,the punch marks are the question. I've looked @ other Q-Jets I have and a buddy who has a pile of them and I've yet to see the punch marks on any of them. My interest in this is I sold a 70 W-30 that had a carb with the punch marks and I'm having to make it good. If you or Vader take issue with me,that's fine but right is right. The site police are tearing Brian Trick a new @$$hole over this and again,it's not right for one to get judged and another not. I'll say it if the site police won't,this carb appears to be a re stamp. If it is,I don't know who did it but the ones who have been deeming these parts as being re stamped need to step up now or never offer another opinion on any part.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; September 14th, 2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old September 14th, 2014, 07:32 AM

Cant speak for Sam or Steve but that carb is a re-stamp. It either came from BAPs who's re-stamped carbs had similar punch marks or where ever. Could care less about the service replacement date as well.
Old September 14th, 2014, 08:27 AM

Okay, so it looks like the restamp authorities have been identified as dnmfranco and 66-3x2 442. As such, what's the next step here? Who is to blame? I believe I bought this carb for $600, or close to it, from Mike (Vader) under the pretense that it was and is authentic. Is he the ******* for selling it to me, or am I the ******* for buying it? Vader sells a lot of nice parts on here and he's a valued forum member. Does the ethical and fiduciary responsibility for the carb now fall on him? What value does a beautifully restored carburetor like this have now that two people I've never met have deemed it a fake based on punch marks? I guess I'm out a few hundred dollars because you guys say so?

Eagerly awaiting your response.
Chris

Last edited by 455Olds; September 14th, 2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old September 14th, 2014, 08:39 AM

Missing the point here there maybe no one to blame. Carb shops and retail such as BAPS are restamping carbs. No one is saying Mike sold you w intent a re-stamp carb. No one is identifying anyone here as a bad guy, well on this particular thread no one is.

Yes he sells parts as many others do, however he has sold carbs from retail. I bought one from who he got from retail. 8 people viewed it all said concluded re-stamp, even was sent Cali where one person deemed it re-stamped there as well.

I did not blame Mike, I didn't say that he is re-stamping. Retail is a big component in this whole issue.

Sam is getting on here in a few who has more experience that I .
I hope this helps in some way but cant reiterate enough we are not casting blame on anyone .
Dean
Old September 14th, 2014, 08:41 AM

That carb is definitely a restamp. The punch marks are consistent with other fakes that I've seen over the years. As far as the date on the carb?? I have seen other service replacement parts listed on the board that have been offered for sale for big bucks. Purchasers are more concerned with the part number and less about the date. If you would like confirmation of the authenticity of the carb, just PM me and I will relay the shipping address to the "testing" facility. Many parts have been sent to this facility and many refunds have been received as you well know. �� I will cover all costs of the service. I too have many original carbs and I have never seen punch marks on any of them.

My apologies to the OP for bringing this up in his post. Have a great day.
Old September 14th, 2014, 08:52 AM

Okay, so it looks like the restamp authorities have been identified as dnmfranco and 66-3x2 442. As such, what's the next step here? Who is to blame? I believe I bought this carb for $600, or close to it, from Mike (Vader) under the pretense that it was and is authentic. Is he the ******* for selling it to me, or am I the ******* for buying it? Vader sells a lot of nice parts on here and he's a valued forum member. Does the ethical and fiduciary responsibility for the carb now fall on him? What value does a beautifully restored carburetor like this have now that two people I've never met have deemed it a fake based on punch marks? I guess I'm out a few hundred dollars because you guys say so?

Chris
I really don't care what you think about me and I'm no expert. I'm just telling you that the carb you're selling appears to be a re stamp. You can blame yourself,Vader or the Easter Bunny for all I care. I don't know you and you don't know me but I've got over 30 years buying/selling Olds parts/cars and I have a very good reputation. This has nothing to do with you as a person,it has to do with right and wrong. If you think the carb is legit,go about your business selling it. I'm trying to get to the bottom of who is the expert on determining the correctness of said parts. If they are going to tell somebody their parts are wrong,they should be willing to step and and say so. I'm having to make good on parts that were wrong and I stand behind everything I sell. I prefaced my comments with I'm not accusing anybody of re stamping parts which is the crime,selling them is not and that seems to be the general theme when a seller is confronted with fraudulent parts. I take no great pride in being a part of this nasty @$$ mess either but I'm in the middle just as you are.
Old September 14th, 2014, 09:08 AM

Chris

with all due respect I've been in your position. Sam is making an offering to have it officially checked out take him up on it. This way you know for sure just my suggestion is all.
Old September 14th, 2014, 09:30 AM

Also who says this is a replacement carb? In other words that date could be June 26th or something for an early 70 build.

Replacement carb in 79 just seems really late for a replacement

All of my replacements were a few years out from original production.

I am not saying it isn't a replacement just seems 9 years later
Old September 14th, 2014, 10:58 AM

I am sorry to say but I believe this Carb is a re-stamp. I have a N.O.S 253 carb and it gives a really good insight as to how the numbers were originally stamped. It is hard to tell with the numbers pictured upside down but if you download the photo and view it right side up you can see the various inconsistencies with the final digit part number's. First the surface texture changes where the "3" is stamped. The "2" sits higher than the "0" which is inconsistent with original carbs. The 4 surrounding dots are also inconsistent with original carbs, and all re-stamped carbs I have had or come across have exhibited them. Finally the "0" at the start of the part number, I have never seen a carb that has the part number stamped like that. They did stamp some carbs with the prefix "170" but just the "0" I am sure was never done. I responded because I have been burned by re-stamps and I have seen with others, and carbs I have myself, how prevalent they are.
Old September 14th, 2014, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by RocketDevo
I am sorry to say but I believe this Carb is a re-stamp. I have a N.O.S 253 carb and it gives a really good insight as to how the numbers were originally stamped. It is hard to tell with the numbers pictured upside down but if you download the photo and view it right side up you can see the various inconsistencies with the final digit part number's. First the surface texture changes where the "3" is stamped. The "2" sits higher than the "0" which is inconsistent with original carbs. The 4 surrounding dots are also inconsistent with original carbs, and all re-stamped carbs I have had or come across have exhibited them. Finally the "0" at the start of the part number, I have never seen a carb that has the part number stamped like that. They did stamp some carbs with the prefix "170" but just the "0" I am sure was never done. I responded because I have been burned by re-stamps and I have seen with others, and carbs I have myself, how prevalent they are.
ty that is what Sam said as well - appreciate it
Old September 14th, 2014, 01:03 PM

I apologize if my comments came off as smart-assed or unappreciative. I guess I misinterpreted the posts as accusative. I understand you guys are just trying to get to the bottom of this and keep incorrect or fraudulent parts from robbing honest members of their hard-earned cash. I trust what you're saying. I haven't been in this game long enough to draw conclusions about correctness like you all can. Most of you have probably been doing this long before I was born.

Sam-- thank you for the offer about verifying the authenticity of the carb. I will think about it, but it looks like enough people have already figured out what it is for me to take your word for it. I'm just curious what comes next. I guess I'll take it off the market until I can determine what the real value of it is, being what it is.

I'm not going to march up to Vader's house with a torch and pitch fork because I genuinely believe he wouldn't deceive me intentionally, but I'd still like to hear from him on this, as he's the one who sold it to me as authentic. Mike, who did you purchase the carb from? Maybe we can hold them responsible? I know you said the shop in Middlesex, NJ rebuilt it, but do you think they're the ones who restamped it and passed it off on you as real?

Thanks again guys, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone in my earlier posts.
Chris
Old September 14th, 2014, 01:42 PM

I apologize if my comments came off as smart-assed or unappreciative. I guess I misinterpreted the posts as accusative. I understand you guys are just trying to get to the bottom of this and keep incorrect or fraudulent parts from robbing honest members of their hard-earned cash. I trust what you're saying. I haven't been in this game long enough to draw conclusions about correctness like you all can. Most of you have probably been doing this long before I was born.

Sam-- thank you for the offer about verifying the authenticity of the carb. I will think about it, but it looks like enough people have already figured out what it is for me to take your word for it. I'm just curious what comes next. I guess I'll take it off the market until I can determine what the real value of it is, being what it is.

I'm not going to march up to Vader's house with a torch and pitch fork because I genuinely believe he wouldn't deceive me intentionally, but I'd still like to hear from him on this, as he's the one who sold it to me as authentic. Mike, who did you purchase the carb from? Maybe we can hold them responsible? I know you said the shop in Middlesex, NJ rebuilt it, but do you think they're the ones who restamped it and passed it off on you as real?

Chris
no worries it sucks in general. Then having someone tell you its fraud when you don't even know the person........ been there.

From the get go the intention is and will always be to hopefully inform and educate. That was my goal from when I got scammed. I wanted to know for future reference and not have anyone else go thru this.
And to put a stop to it or at least try.

Far as your question I don't think or never have thought Mike is re stamping - no.

My belief based on info thru this period is it begins w/ retail whether it be carb shops or vendors like BAPS.
They get sold someone buys it re-sells for a profit. My problem w that is "oh I didn't re-stamp it" or flat out "not my problem". Now they could be re-stamping in New Jersey. The other problem is people send generic carbs have them re-stamped to what they want for profit. That was my personal fraudulent situation outside of this forum.

I would ask where Mike bought it from. If you recalled I asked if it came from Carb Junkies - got no reply which technically he doesn't have to answer me.

hope this helps Dean
Old September 14th, 2014, 02:13 PM

Chris
Chris

I hate this as bad as you do and I also am dealing with this same situation. As I said,I do not take any pride in this cluster but it's a problem that has to be taken care of. With me starting this with your carb,I feel really bad but I was wanting somebody,anybody who has experience with these re stamped parts to comment on your carb as they did mine. When I sell a part,I offer a full refund less shipping,no questions asked other than what's the problem. If I can't make the buyer happy,I will take it back if it's in the same condition I sent it. Again,I'm very sorry you're having to deal with this.
Old September 14th, 2014, 02:31 PM

One thing I have noticed is how a re stamped carb is always fresh restored. Is it because whatever process they use to alter them requires refinishing to mask the process? They are not machining the #'s off,so what do they do? Do they add material to mask the old # and then add the new #? just curious as to the process thought to be used.
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:23 PM

http://www.carbjunkys.com/theShop.html

this is Carb Junkies website
check out the 2954 -69 W-30 carb
tell me what you think

now keep in mind 4 years ago they had some
2 years ago had some and now present day they do

Also keep in mind 1100 or so W-30's made in 69
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:41 PM

Chris
Chris,

Not offended here at all. I hope it works out for all that have lost $.

Personally, I am still workng on receiving the balance of my refund. I have received 1K back.
(still owed 1400.)

Something to think about - Why are folks receiving refunds - NO questions asked if a seller was confident in the part being authentic?

I hope other board members come forward to share their ordeal. I have spoken to many of you about getting "screwed." It is up to you to come forward to share your stories - I will not share the details as promised.

The offer still stands Chris - let me know if you want the part checked out.
Cheers,
Sam

Last edited by 72xw30; September 14th, 2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:49 PM

So, are you saying the pic of the 254 in the ad is bogus or the real deal? The two little dots are NOT in the same location as in the pic of the 253 that is listed for sale. Is that NOT a service date on the Carb Junkies 254?

Quick Reply: 7040253 (1970 4-speed) Carburetor-- Replated and Rebuilt